Is Driver Update Software Really Necessary?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneKiller

Reaction score
Hey.:)

I was just wondering if driver update software is really necessary. I understand that they're a convenience as opposed to manually updating your devices yourself and visiting the site of the outfit that made your computer. But I don't want to buy something that I don't need. Thoughts?

Thanks for viewing.:)

Nah I'd reccomend against it. I've always preferred downloading the drivers manually from the official website, so I know for sure that I'm getting something that's safe to install (I'm just paranoid that way, but thats just me haha).

Do you find yourself needing to update drivers for certain software often?

Why would anyone pay to have a program that does that?
Windows drivers are updated via the Windows Update.
They also update drivers of some other things too like NVIDIA drivers.

Unless you are running into issues with an application, odds are you don't need to update any drivers after you 1st installed it and updated drivers after the initial install.

robberrt said:
Nah I'd reccomend against it. I've always preferred downloading the drivers manually from the official website, so I know for sure that I'm getting something that's safe to install (I'm just paranoid that way, but thats just me haha).

Do you find yourself needing to update drivers for certain software often?
Hi robberrt. Welcome to the forum.:)

Not really. It's just that my computer is slow often. Even though I have no viruses or malware, sometimes it runs as slow as a 3 legged turtle. I also use ccleaner, and defrag often. I have much free space on my computer too. I heard that sometimes outdated drivers can be responsible for slow computers.
Below are my specs. They might explain why. I'm no computer genius. Also, I am using 7 with Chrome if that helps.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...t.jsp?prodSeriesId=5187034&objectID=c03412349

blackdot said:
Why would anyone pay to have a program that does that?
Windows drivers are updated via the Windows Update.
They also update drivers of some other things too like NVIDIA drivers.

Unless you are running into issues with an application, odds are you don't need to update any drivers after you 1st installed it and updated drivers after the initial install.
Hi blackdot. Good to see you posting.:)

I suppose they can be useful, but I prefer to download them myself. The only benefit they have is if you have one version of many of a certain peace of hardware that's tricky to differentiate (I.E; physically looking) these often see which version is any relevance for you.

To be honest, not that many people actually bother updating drivers unless they have some sort of issue; despite the fact that with some updates comes with slight performance and/or stability improvements.

As far as your problem goes, I doubt any driver update will speed up your system with much noticeable difference. Windows naturally gets slower the longer you go on your current install because of lots and lots of "little things". Your registry naturally "grows" and gets more and more fragmented; Windows has a tenancy to try and "speed up" accessing programs you use often, the problem with this is that it's always "learning" what you use and as a result it constantly caches more and more programs (ironically slowing it down) over time; various data files like Index.dat grow considerably over time too causing added slowness with anything that depends on them; your services grow over time just like your system run - only this is harder to control because of dependencies etc...

If you want to truly speed up your system (or restore it to how it was) the best thing you can do is reinstall Windows, I actually do this every so often because of this reason (around once a year, maybe longer). Microsoft aren't known to write the most efficient software, and on top of that Windows has got more complex over the years so this the advice I'd give anyone experiencing slowness.

Latest posts

Back