What Would Your Life Be Like Without Your Games?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneKiller

Reaction score
Myself, I'd probably go insane, buy an assault rifle and pick off random politicians from the City Hall roof. I wouldn't have my GTA: San Andreas anymore so I'd have to settle for the next best thing.:p

If I didn't play video games my escape would come solely from movies and tv shows. I would probably have watched like every move ever by now.

I used to be heavily into video games and couldn't imagine life without them or the Internet... now I can't seem to get far enough away from the stuff some days. I still keep a few old favorites on hand, though, mostly strategy or puzzle games that I can pick up and put down fast.

I like videogames a lot, it would be hard, but I would survive.

Coeur said:
I used to be heavily into video games and couldn't imagine life without them or the Internet... now I can't seem to get far enough away from the stuff some days. I still keep a few old favorites on hand, though, mostly strategy or puzzle games that I can pick up and put down fast.

I'm kind of similar. I play videogames for a period of time and then maybe I don't play at all for like a month. The same with movies, comics, anime, series... Except music, I need that daily.

Well, I used to be heavily addicted to games. I would play them for pretty much all my waking hours. I wouldn't work and often wouldn't even get out of bed. I'd forego food, sleep and human contact to keep going. I've bought every game console and computer that's been released since 1984 and I've probably spent more money on games than most people have spent on their homes.

I broke the addiction when I was in my mid 20s, but when my marriage started going downhill, I fell right back into it and spent a good 7+ years doing nothing but gaming. Nothing. I'd order all my groceries, then just sit inside for months at a time gaming endlessly.

I'm still gaming now, but I know that I shouldn't be. I limit myself to a few hours a day, but I am acutely aware that I could slip off the edge at any moment.

How would my life be without gaming? Better. Much better.

I don't know why it has such an effect on me. I used to smoke 60 cigarettes a day, but I quit that easily. I've taken plenty of drugs, never got addicted. I used to drink a lot socially and never got addicted. Yet, I get hopelessly lost inside a world of pixels...

Felix said:
I like videogames a lot, it would be hard, but I would survive.

Coeur said:

I'm kind of similar. I play videogames for a period of time and then maybe I don't play at all for like a month. The same with movies, comics, anime, series... Except music, I need that daily.

I play mostly when I don't have other things to do or (rarely) I'm obsessed with something new, though there was a period when it was all I had: the most depressing time of my life. Those characters and those places were the only safe and free ones, so I played for hours every day.

What did my peers do while I sat inside? A lot of really cool stuff that I fantasized about while I watched it happen on a screen.

I enjoy it when I do sit down with a new title because there's some fine craftsmanship out there and there's still a lot of slow nights where movies aren't enough. It's just that it's no longer important and I could easily live without it. When the game is over all I have is memories, and I'll have poured dozens, maybe hundreds, of hours into creating those memories that I could have spent on something else.

The next game I'm buying is six years old and I'm only buying it because I have an online friend I'd love to be playing with.

Coeur said:
I play mostly when I don't have other things to do or (rarely) I'm obsessed with something new, though there was a period when it was all I had: the most depressing time of my life. Those characters and those places were the only safe and free ones, so I played for hours every day.

What did my peers do while I sat inside? A lot of really cool stuff that I fantasized about while I watched it happen on a screen.

I pity them too. They'll never know the joys of shooting a cat-faced ship.

Coeur said:
I enjoy it when I do sit down with a new title because there's some fine craftsmanship out there and there's still a lot of slow nights where movies aren't enough.

That sentence describes the feeling almost perfectly. Sometimes you need to lose yourself in the comfort of a virtual world. You want to experience something safely.

Coeur said:
It's just that it's no longer important and I could easily live without it. When the game is over all I have is memories, and I'll have poured dozens, maybe hundreds, of hours into creating those memories that I could have spent on something else.

The next game I'm buying is six years old and I'm only buying it because I have an online friend I'd love to be playing with.

Some memories are really nice. The problem comes when you're using it to not deal with your life. Videogames can be beneficial too, for me is a way to bond with my little brother. And bond with my friends a long time ago. Boost my reflexes too, of course...

Felix said:
That sentence describes the feeling almost perfectly. Sometimes you need to lose yourself in the comfort of a virtual world. You want to experience something safely.

I'm not sure safety has much to do with it for me. There's quite a few crazy things I'd like to do, though shooting zombies is out of the question for a number of reasons.

Felix said:
Some memories are really nice. The problem comes when you're using it to not deal with your life. Videogames can be beneficial too, for me is a way to bond with my little brother. And bond with my friends a long time ago. Boost my reflexes too, of course...

Memories are nice... but memories of video games aren't memories of a road trip or a finished novel. My view is simply that, as fun as they are, I could live without them and often resent sitting home alone with a computer and a television for company. All it took was a taste of real adventure and I was never able to fully immerse myself in an RPG again no matter how rich the story.

They still have some bonding value, but most people I know play MMOs, which are like a part-time job where you have to keep up with patch updates, your friends' progress, and more. I've had to look up co-op titles on Steam and compare or agree on one for two.

waay back when I was younger and single.. before pc games were invented (ok, maybe even before pc's where invented)
when I found myself alone for more than a few moments I would sink myself into my guitar.
honestly, if we had games around back then like we do now.. i'm not sure if myself of half of my friends ever would have started playing music.

A few months ago video games were my only true escape from my misery, I spent over half of every day playing them. Now I only play an hour or two a day. And only for entertainment, instead of a replacement for living my life.

I would miss them if I didn't have them anymore, but there are other things I could do.

Not much different to how it is now, I learned pretty early on that I am not good at them, so never really bothered. Sometime the Wii things are fun, but very rarely go on :)

When i was young, i spend many hours playing video game. Now i play cca 1 hour, sometimes lees per day.

Well I'd have more time to play with. Would probably get bored every day at some point. Or I'd watch more TV. I'd like to say I'd go out more. But I already go out as much as I like to.

Latest posts

Back