Taking two medications, good idea?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batman55

Reaction score
I've been on an SSRI for social anxiety for far too long. Of course, I have tried quitting it before, only to find that the mood swings, along with the utter inability to enjoy anything, made it difficult for me to function. And that was just the result of 2 weeks after a 10mg decrease. Of course, I bumped right back up.

I would love to get off this crap, but when you've taken it as long as I have, that is at least a one year contract with horror. Because now, not only does the SSRI barely even help with social anxiety, the demotivating "extreme apathy" effect is so bad, it's become a chore to even take care of basic things. There's no spark, no motivation there for me, to do anything at all.

Now, just about five years ago, I got an ADD diagnosis. I'm now 32, why did it take so long? Because inattention is missed--it's just a fact. Inattentive people don't attract notice, hyperactivity does. My case of inattention is severe--you might think I'm making up a pile of diagnoses to get sympathy--but if you knew me, you'd know how bad it was.

So, I need to get moving on things, I need to do something to improve, and it's just not there, not even with vitamins and exercise, for the anti-psychiatry folks--no, that doesn't cut it. I've wanted to avoid taking 2 drugs at once for all eternity. I don't want to do it.

And yet:
1) if somehow I happen to find a medication that helps with attention and doesn't make anxiety worse, then *maybe* I can finally get off the other medication
2) at this point I consider ADD as a problem equal, if not worse, than social anxiety. Example: After reading 3-4 pages of a novel, I have to put it down, my mind is so tired from trying to focus.

Has anyone else gone down the route of 2 psych meds? Did it make you a sweaty, twitchy mess?

Any ideas?

I was on an antidepressant & antipsychotic for five months, during that time the antipsychotic got changed three times because of the side effects NOT twitchy mess more like a lethargic zombie. I am now off antipsychotics though (HUGE break). I was very hesitant to be on more than one med but I was also at the end of my rope and felt something had to give or help since my extracurricular activities, meditations, etc. were not enough for the issues I was dealing with... I am still on antidepressant & another med for anxiety. It is a difficult choice to make, but if there is a chance it helps you I think it is worth it... it may take time to find the right one though. Not certain if this helps you or is good advice, either way best hopes for you.

ucxb said:
I was on an antidepressant & antipsychotic for five months, during that time the antipsychotic got changed three times because of the side effects NOT twitchy mess more like a lethargic zombie. I am now off antipsychotics though (HUGE break). I was very hesitant to be on more than one med but I was also at the end of my rope and felt something had to give or help since my extracurricular activities, meditations, etc. were not enough for the issues I was dealing with... I am still on antidepressant & another med for anxiety. It is a difficult choice to make, but if there is a chance it helps you I think it is worth it... it may take time to find the right one though. Not certain if this helps you or is good advice, either way best hopes for you.

Well, thanks for insight.

If it helps anyone have some ideas, the fact is, if I try another medication, it *must* help with inattention, but also low energy, apathy, and so on.

I can't take typical ADHD drugs, as I tried Ritalin once, which made me feel really buzzed, and then extremely paranoid and dysphoric for hours. Dexedrine, again, just too powerful, too much, jittery, manic, and paranoid.

Apparently for those who have inattention/slow thinking, without hyperactivity, my response to amphetamines is not unusual. You might say, I'm too sensitive to all drugs, but especially stimulants.

I'm wondering what else might be out there, which helps with inattention, but isn't too potent?

I take two medications.

I'd say that, if they help you, they are necessary. If one goes badly, however, it can be hell on earth.

It sounds to me like what you are asking for is something only amphetamines can do for you. I'm not sure how often people are placed on SSRI's and amphetamines, it seems like a very intense combination. Small doses of amphetamines might the option... Get a prescription for the smallest available dose, then cut that into quarters and take a quarter once a day as needed or something. Probably something to discuss with the prescriber.

Otherwise I'd suggest something like caffeine.

I'd highly suggest giving pot a try, but I don't know how that interacts with SSRI's, and the legality of it and social acceptance is very low.

TropicalStarfish said:
It sounds to me like what you are asking for is something only amphetamines can do for you. I'm not sure how often people are placed on SSRI's and amphetamines, it seems like a very intense combination. Small doses of amphetamines might the option... Get a prescription for the smallest available dose, then cut that into quarters and take a quarter once a day as needed or something. Probably something to discuss with the prescriber.

Otherwise I'd suggest something like caffeine.

I'd highly suggest giving pot a try, but I don't know how that interacts with SSRI's, and the legality of it and social acceptance is very low.

So you never heard of Wellbutrin, Provigil, or Strattera?

I'm not looking for medication advice, but insight.

I'm not the only person to write threads in this sub-forum, dealing with this very topic.

What I meant is you are pretty vague... Everybody is different man, at one time I was on like 12 meds. Now I am down to 2. And that's only Epitol and Prozac, because I don't need the other stuff any more.

You got to take what you got to take, and stay away from what doesn't work for you. You are where you are.

What works for you, might not work for anybody else.

Latest posts

Back