Celebrity Suicide

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theglasscell

Reaction score
I was thinking about how that actor from "The Famous Jett Jackson" just killed himself yesterday.

I used to watch him on "Smallville".

It's really sad but it made me think about how all the things the media makes us think we need probably aren't the key to happiness.

This guy had money, fame, probably had his pick of women but he still suffered enough to take his own life, and he was still really young.

A lot of celebrities do this.

If there is anyone left in the world who thinks happiness and emotional contentment are found in the material, then more fool them quite frankly. You're just feeding a capitalist manufactured thirst that cannot be quenched.

I don't believe that happiness and emotional contentment have much at all to do with suicide to be honest.
and we can't use rational thinking to justify irrational acts.

Are you serious? There's no link between the presence or absence of happiness and emotional contentment and suicide? Seriously? I'm clearly done here.

Scotsman said:
Are you serious? There's no link between the presence or absence of happiness and emotional contentment and suicide? Seriously? I'm clearly done here.

Don't leave. Thankfully, we're not all like that.

This is insanely stupid. People start judging and caring about a suicide just because it was a celebrity. That you care for other human beings is all fine and dandy, but we seem to forget one thing.

You don't know honeysuckle about him. Just because the media tells you this and that, there are many things about a person that stays hidden from your view.

Happiness directly influences the quality of life, therefore, the greater the happiness, the less need for death.

Celebrities face things that normal people wouldn't be able to face. It's really a test of how strong they are, whether or not they crack.

Jett Jackson was a kids show, right? A lot of child actors grow up with emotional problems. It seems like too much stress, fame and money at too young an age messes with their heads. Amanda Bynes is a recent example of this.

I don't know anything about the Jett Jackson actor though, so I could be completely wrong.

Too much pressure is put on these child actors. Mac Culkin is another one I can think of that went crazy.

Michael Jackson was severely messed up by his father. Not celebrity.

He was pushed into the limelight by his dad Joe, but it's the parent's fault. It's not only Michael, all of the Jacksons (except for Janet, maybe) are screwed up mentally.

I haven't kept up with all of them, but every famous suicide I've known of in recent years had a few factors in common. When you earn that first pile of money, all the wrong people start showing up & acting like they're your best buddies. Add drugs into the mix: Once that money starts coming in, you can smoke snort or shoot whatever you want--or whatever the people you're partying with want. That lifestyle will exact its pound of flesh, sooner or later.

Scotsman said:

**** right i'm serious.
when it comes to discussing suicide I am never anything but completely serious. I have have seen close friends commit suicide in the past and have friends that get suicidal thoughts.
to think that suicide is caused by superficial situations is being naïve.
it is deeper than that. many people with good lives, lots of money, family and friends and success in all obvious ways.. still kill themselves..
it's like saying depression is caused by being unhappy. yet it affects millions of people that have no real reason to be unhappy on the surface.
even those that do resort to suicide that are unhappy, are dealing with deeper issues than simply that.

Walley said:
Scotsman said:

**** right i'm serious.
when it comes to discussing suicide I am never anything but completely serious. I have have seen close friends commit suicide in the past and have friends that get suicidal thoughts.
it is deeper than that. many people with good lives, lots of money, family and friends and success in all obvious ways.. still kill themselves..
it's like saying depression is caused by being unhappy. yet it affects millions of people that have no real reason to be unhappy on the surface.
even those that do resort to suicide that are unhappy, are dealing with deeper issues than simply that.

It's all gone a bit semantics here to some extent.
Regardless of the position someone is at in their life, be they successful with a lot of love around them etc, it is inconceivable to me that happiness and emotional contentment are not fundamental factors in suicide...I'm most cases at least. That's nothing to do with what's causing someone such a problem. But if someone is at the stage where they are taking their own life, are you honestly suggesting that their happiness and emotional state is nothing to do with that? If so, I find that very very bizarre. And since when were happiness and emotional well being superficial things?

No disrespect but if that's your genuine opinion then I think we're so far apart in our respective views on the issue and I find yours so odd that I don't see any point in carrying on discussing it.

Scotsman said:
It's all gone a bit semantics here to some extent.

That would be my guess.

Alienated said:
Was it accidental like overdose... or planned ?

He shot himself.

And to answer the other people on here, I wasn't really trying to imply that superficial things automatically get you happiness.

It's just a lot of guys post threads on here basically saying that they might as well commit suicide because their lives are failures or they can't get women. But this illustrates that having all those things isn't a magic bullet that will fix your life.

Some people can be perfectly happy with nothing, I've met plenty of Catholic priests who are full of joy, they've never had sex or material possessions.

Walley said:
Scotsman said:

**** right i'm serious.

The issues that people deal with make them unhappy. Just because a lot of money, a family, and a good ammount of friends would make you happy, doesn't mean it makes everyone happy.

There are just loads of things that you don't see in a person, issues that make them unhappy. Did you know that people often fake happiness? I have the feeling you don't.

There are just loads of things that you don't see in a person, issues that make them unhappy. Did you know that people often fake happiness? I have the feeling you don't.
as a matter of fact, I surely do know that people fake lots of things. I guess because I disagree that suicide stems from simply being unhappy in life, then obviously I must not have a clue about the topic at all?
as I stated above, I have had 2 close friends commit suicide, and fyi, both of them covered up what was really going on inside them.
also, I have spent a decade in a friendship with someone that is chronically depressed and sometimes suicidal. I take offense to anyone that suggests that I am clueless on the matter. I am just adamantly opposed to it.
I wish it was as simple as just feeling down or being unhappy or non content in life.. it would be easier to explain why he drive the car off of that cliff!
but sadly, it goes much deeper than that.
typical cases of suicide are a symptom of psychological issues. THAT was my point.
both of my old friends that did it, carried the burden around with them for most of their lives. both were married, in successful careers, kids and all of that. they had no true reason to be unhappy or unsatisfied in life. happy or not, it all has nothing to do with it when we get right down to the core imho.

Walley said:
happy or not, it all has nothing to do with it when we get right down to the core imho.

This is what i was getting at, except for that i think that right down to the core, those people might not be happy. As you say, those kids/families/job/wealth don't matter when you get to the core. What i see in that, is that one can be unhappy even when one appears to have all, since they cover up alot. I don't see happiness as something that is gained from material things, as your explanation seems to suggest.

However, i have the feeling that that is not what you mean to imply, and merely my inability to understand. May i ask what your definition of happiness is? Maybe our definitions differ.

Also, it is most certainly not that i am without experience either. Evidently, different people learn different things from experiences that are roughly alike.

I personally find the cause you seem to imply, namely "psychological issues" to be very vague. And again, this is most likely my own inability to interpret information in the way it is presented.

May i ask you one more thing? Have you ever seen a person commit suicide while they were truly happy? And i'm not talking about having the materialistic stuff, but truly happy?

I'm looking forward to your reply and answer to that question, so that i can learn from your experiences.

I would go crazy if I was a celebrity. I mean with the amount of poperatzi (not spelled right I am sure) following celebrities now days. Pretty much every second they step foot out of there house they know someone could like be watching there every move.

Those who became celebrities during childhood seem to be even more messed up Michael jackson, Mckuley Culkin, Lindsay Lohan, Amanda Bynes, Olsen Twins, and the list goes on and on. These people spent a great deal of there childhood in front of cameras performing for someone else and had to be heckled by the media. While other kids there age were out playing and enjoying life.

Latest posts

Back