Boot Failure

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Locke

Reaction score
I don't know anything about computers. I'm a complete idiot when it comes to technology, and I feel like an idiot posting this thread. But I'm really lost here, so.....

Lately when I turn my computer on, I get a 'Boot Failure' error. I googled it, and from what I read it could be the hard drive is going out, or other things like corrupted system files. The error has been happening more and more. Even when I manage to start it, the screen will turn grey and it'll shut off by itself sometimes.

I have no idea what I'm doing. Should I do a full system recovery? That will reset it to its original settings and fix corrupted files, right? How do I replace the hard drive? Do I need a recovery disk to reinstall the operating system when I replace the hard drive?

I have HP Pavilion. Here's the support page for it: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3793923

I'd check for drive failures and errors first. You say you can still start it so when you get into Windows schedule a scan by going into My Computer then right click on the drive the operating system's on (Usually C), go to properties then click on Tools, in the Error Checking area press Check Now...

HOW5004502B_003.gif

It wont actually check the disk since it needs to be dismounted which isn't possible, but it'll ask you if you want to schedule it BEFORE Windows next starts up, so after you click Yes restart your computer and leave it to scan for a little bit, there are 5 stages it will go through.

Once it's finished see if that improves anything, for now I'm going for a lie down... I feel like I've been awake for days!

Latest posts

Back