Would you date someone you don't think you're going to marry?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azariah

Reaction score
Why date someone if your not going to marry her?(or him if you're a girl)

In the end, you'll both be broken hearted.

Love is like fire. It could cause destruction.

Marriage isn't a requirement for being with someone. I never want to get married again. My girlfriend knows that, and she's fine with it. We could still spend the rest of our lives together.

Besides, married people get their hearts broken all the time.

Locke said:
Marriage isn't a requirement for being with someone. I never want to get married again. My girlfriend knows that, and she's fine with it. We could still spend the rest of our lives together.

Besides, married people get their hearts broken all the time.

Well ima christian so it is for me. no offense though. I want a happy family, one mom, one dad, and children.

Locke said:
Idol Minos said:
Well ima christian so it is for me. no offense though. I want a happy family, one mom, one dad, and children.

I used to be too, until I watched my pregnant wife die in front of me. Now I have a hard time caring what god wants, and I never want to be married again.

No offense taken.

Sorry to hear that. I've never lost anybody, never seen anyone die, so I could not possibly imagine what you've been through.
But to see you here means you haven't given up on life. There must be something positive left in you.

Idol Minos said:
Sorry to hear that. I've never lost anybody, never seen anyone die, so I could not possibly imagine what you've been through.
But to see you here means you haven't given up on life. There must be something positive left in you.

Thanks for the sympathy, but I'm fine. Only reason I brought it up is because first you made a comment that sounded like you were accusing me of cheating (Though I could be wrong, you've since changed the post). Then you made a comment that made it sound like my opinion didn't matter because your god disagrees with it.

Things aren't always so black and white. Not everyone here is a christian, so you should expect answers that you don't agree with.

Locke said:

+1000 I couldn't agree more.

Locke said:
Idol Minos said:

Thanks for the sympathy, but I'm fine. Only reason I brought it up is because first you made a comment that sounded like you were accusing me of cheating (Though I could be wrong, you've since changed the post). Then you made a comment that made it sound like my opinion didn't matter because your god disagrees with it.

Things aren't always so black and white. Not everyone here is a christian, so you should expect answers that you don't agree with.

mmm ok now i see. I usually lurk in forums with younger users, they don't really take things seriously and they joke alot. so forgive me if there has been a misunderstanding. and english is not my first language.

How would you know if you're going to marry that person or want to marry that person if you don't date, eh?

Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity,
to seize everything you ever wanted, one moment,
would you capture it, or just let it slip?

Idol Minos said:

I would capture it, despite the outcome. Relationship wise, I don't think anyone should ever regret what happens. Good, bad, in between, I believe we learn something from it all. On top of learning what you like, what you don't like, the different types of compatibility, all the other little tid-bits of relationships, you never know what would come of something. You may meet someone tomorrow, and never believe that you would even be with them, much less commit yourself to them. But it turns out to be the best thing that ever happened to you both.

I would very much like to get married, so I wouldn't date someone I don't think I would marry. Obviously at the start you don't know if marriage will come or not, but I am assuming here that the question is asking would I date someone with whom marriage would not happen, ever.

VanillaCreme said:
I would capture it, despite the outcome. Relationship wise, I don't think anyone should ever regret what happens. Good, bad, in between, I believe we learn something from it all. On top of learning what you like, what you don't like, the different types of compatibility, all the other little tid-bits of relationships, you never know what would come of something. You may meet someone tomorrow, and never believe that you would even be with them, much less commit yourself to them. But it turns out to be the best thing that ever happened to you both.

I absolutely agree with you Nillz. I will say that EVERYONE dates someone one doesn't think they'll marry. The keyword is think. Most of us date. Most of us look for companionship or some other things I can't necessarily say. Like what Nillz said, for all the good, bad, and everything in between that does happen, we shouldn't regret it in the long haul and take it as part of the overall learning experience. Dating is just that. A learning experience. An experience of not just knowing how to take care of your significant other, but how you handle things for the long haul in your own personal life.

As far as everything else she said, she literally took the words out of my mouth. Most know of my backstory and know of my time with my missus. It never was meant to happen the way it did especially after what I went through in my previous life (which was my marriage). I'll admit for me this is my last chance to personally make it work because I think for me, this is my second chance at life with someone else and it's my destiny and goal to make this work for me and prove I can make something work. Although I speak with an open mind and have a very open mind for everything around me, I am committed to my missus and that's the bottom line. This relationship, even with some of our flaws, has been the best thing that's happened to me and I know I'm the best thing that's happened to her.

Idol Minos said:

Ha! :cool: I'd start quoting Eminem lyrics also.

Idol Minos said:

This is akin to what I was trying to allude to.

There is no saying that every girl you date will be the person you will marry, but there is something to that you don't want to date someone you wouldn't imagine being married to.

On the other hand, there are many different scenarios. If someone just wanted a casual relationship, they probably wouldn't care if that person was marriage material. And if it was a FWB situation, they wouldn't care, either.

Latest posts

Back