Have you ever had a REAL friend?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solitary man

Reaction score
So-called "friends" come and go, and whilst many people have life-long friends they can trust and who are loyal, I think most of us have temporary friends; people we hang out with for a while, and who then eventually disappear from our lives for good.

Have you ever had a friend who you could trust and rely upon 100%? Someone who would really go out of their way to help you? Even die for you? I don't think there are too many people who can say "Yeah, I have a friend who would give his life to preserve mine", as those kind of people are rare.

Is there even such a thing as a real friend? Have you ever been anyone's real friend? If so, did they appreciate you?

Yes, I've had many real friends. It's amazing what can happen when you stop assuming the worst out of everyone.

VanillaCreme said:
Yes, I've had many real friends. It's amazing what can happen when you stop assuming the worst out of everyone.

I totally agree with this.

VanillaCreme said:

What if your powers of perception are finely honed with life experience and you are just a lot more capable of seeing through everyone's facade?

Solitary man said:
VanillaCreme said:

What if your powers of perception are finely honed with life experience and you are just a lot more capable of seeing through everyone's facade?

Hmm.. I don't think so. I have experienced what Nilla stated. And I don't think I'm a lot more capable of seeing through everyone's facade because I still get tricked and fooled by people's first impressions at times.. sighs.

I have friends, but don't feel really close to them, not deep down. When it comes down to it, the only person I have to rely on is myself. When something really bad happens (I was seriously ill last autumn) there is noone I can really turn to for help and support.

Why does it matter whether or not they'd give their life if they care and don't judge you for who you are? If someone gives you a cake don't complain that it's not three tiers high.

Watching people around me, friendships fizzling out eventually seems to be normal. Someone moves away, someone grows up into a different person, or someone has a fight and they don't feel comfortable anymore. Life is largely transitory.

I have a handful of lasting friendships (mostly online), but most have been temporary or more like long-term acquaintanceships. Someday they might fizzle out. I guess if it's on good terms, that's alright. I wouldn't blame a good man or woman for struggling to balance a new life overseas, a new family, and a new job with someone still stuck in the same crummy little town with too much free time.

My problem is that I'm unnoticeable and uninteresting most of the time, so friendships don't form in the first place.

Solitary man said:
So-called "friends" come and go, and whilst many people have life-long friends they can trust and who are loyal, I think most of us have temporary friends; people we hang out with for a while, and who then eventually disappear from our lives for good.

Have you ever had a friend who you could trust and rely upon 100%? Someone who would really go out of their way to help you? Even die for you? I don't think there are too many people who can say "Yeah, I have a friend who would give his life to preserve mine", as those kind of people are rare.

Is there even such a thing as a real friend? Have you ever been anyone's real friend? If so, did they appreciate you?
I've had some good friends, not ones that would die for me as you mentioned but good all the same. I'm generally a realist and wouldn't expect that level of loyalty but if it were the case that I had that support I'd be all for it.

I have 2 friends that are real, true wonderful life long friends that would give their lives for me, and I for them. One I met when we were 3.... its been 33 years of friendship... can talk to her about anything, and do. we don't even need words sometimes... if one of us needs the other..we are just there...no matter what time of day or night it is. It's always been that way. I am Blessed to have her.

My other Incredible friend doesn't live near me...but we talk for hrs everyday on the phone..share everything... and he has flown out to see me during times of need, and I have done the same. again... we are there for each other day and night.

I cherish them both. I am lucky...very very lucky to have found 2 people that I can share my life with, and entrust them with....and vise versa.

I'm 35, pretty much single, most of my old friends are married and have children and I sit around sad and bummed a lot of the time because "I have no one". But this thread had me take a closer look at what I really do have....

I am so lucky to have 2 wonderful, life long friends in my world.... and I am happy that I am there for them.

All in all... thinking of them...life doesn't suck as much as I think it does.

My definition of a real friend doesn't include someone who would give their life to preserve mine. I have had a few true friends who have been there for me. Not many, but a few.

VanillaCreme said:

Yes, it is amazing sometimes. there are genuine people out there. People get into that mindset as a kind of self-preservation, but it backfires.

I've had plenty of real friends, but I don't expect them to die for me. That all seems a bit too melodramatic. If they can keep my confidences, share experiences and be there when everything is falling apart, then that's all I need.

Cavey said:
I've had plenty of real friends, but I don't expect them to die for me. That all seems a bit too melodramatic. If they can keep my confidences, share experiences and be there when everything is falling apart, then that's all I need.

I don't think it's so much an expectation as it is that they would anyway. It's not like you have a friend and say to them that you expect them to do anything for you. But the fact that they would - voluntarily - is something that I personally would cherish.

Yes, i haved 2 best friends. But one of them take drugs :/ and with second i met only sometimes.

Latest posts

Back