Being alone vs. feeling lonely

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielmoe

Reaction score
Hello. I have used a fair amount of time to think about the difference of the meanings of the words (in the title), and how that relates to my life. And I still do that sometimes, mostly just to confirm that "I'm right", that I'm on the right path so to speak.

I am very often alone. I am an alone person, but I don't feel lonely. I don't know if that makes sense to others than me, but I'm perfectly fine with being alone most of the time. Of course I also need some kind of human stimuli, but I'm actually better off with that being a small part of my life.

I think that could be explained by Jung's definition, that you're either introvert og extravert. I'm extremely introvert, but people with a huge amount of extraversion might not be able to come to the same conclusion as follows. One way to find out what you are, without filling out a number of formulas, is by thinking about, how you restore and consume your energy level. Some do it alone, some when with company. Introverts restore alone and consume with others.

The reason why I made this thread is, that over the years, this kind of thought pattern helped me realize, that I was never really lonely (as first thought). I just liked being by my self. That made a huge difference for me and how I percieved and lived my life. I.e. I feel much better turning down invitiations, because I now "know" what I need and what is best for me.

I hope that this might be of use for people, who feels lonely, but maybe only should feel alone.

This is of course just my opinion and experience, so what are your thoughts on the two words and their different meanings?

Hi Danielmoe
Well, I also see them as completely different because you can have people around you, be in a relationship , have friends and still feel lonely. And you can have times when you are completely alone and be happy, content, and not lonely at all. They are certainly not dependent on each other.

danielmoe said:
Hello. I have used a fair amount of time to think about the difference of the meanings of the words (in the title), and how that relates to my life. And I still do that sometimes, mostly just to confirm that "I'm right", that I'm on the right path so to speak.

I am very often alone. I am an alone person, but I don't feel lonely. I don't know if that makes sense to others than me, but I'm perfectly fine with being alone most of the time. Of course I also need some kind of human stimuli, but I'm actually better off with that being a small part of my life.

I think that could be explained by Jung's definition, that you're either introvert og extravert. I'm extremely introvert, but people with a huge amount of extraversion might not be able to come to the same conclusion as follows. One way to find out what you are, without filling out a number of formulas, is by thinking about, how you restore and consume your energy level. Some do it alone, some when with company. Introverts restore alone and consume with others.

The reason why I made this thread is, that over the years, this kind of thought pattern helped me realize, that I was never really lonely (as first thought). I just liked being by my self. That made a huge difference for me and how I percieved and lived my life. I.e. I feel much better turning down invitiations, because I now "know" what I need and what is best for me.

I hope that this might be of use for people, who feels lonely, but maybe only should feel alone.

This is of course just my opinion and experience, so what are your thoughts on the two words and their different meanings?

Danielmoe, you've said that so clearly! Some of the loneliest people I've ever known were the most gregarious....habitually in the company of others, but without any satisfactory connections to them. In contrast, I'm alone a lot, always have been, and felt comfortable with solitude. That comfort with being alone got me to second guessing myself into thinking I was all wrong; I wasn't all wrong I was just being me.
An important sub-text is, total solitude is not healthy, humans are behaviorally hard wired into requiring some social belonging to a......band; tribe; clique....some group. Living without any 'belonging' to some version of group is tantamount to living on a starvation diet......eventually we starve.
My story, or part of it, is that I may have accepted my comfort with being alone most of my time, but I've never (ever) found that 'tribe' or clique of a few satisfactory friendships that I do need.
The closest I've been in recent years is public service volunteer groups. I'm in one now. I'm actually (so they tell me) a valued member contributing a significant input.....It isn't quite what I'm needing. So I guess, besides being alone a lot, I'm also lonely too.
If any of all that makes any sense.

In my opinion, alone is most commonly a physical state. Lonely is an emotional one. You can be surrounded by people but if the one person you need isn't there you will feel lonely, and that is one of the worst feelings. Being alone and not feeling lonely? That's just fine. A lot of people prefer being alone.

But I think by nature even the most independent and introverted of people will eventually feel that desire for companionship. I've spent a lot of my life alone without ever feeling lonely. But eventually that realization of what you're missing out on having someone be there making you feel wanted, and that personal socialization will make you feel lonely.

Latest posts

Back