Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Explaining gay people to kids
That's as far as saying it's someone's choice to be a child molester, to be a mass murderer, to steal, to...etc.

Yes, people have free will, but it's our choice whether or not we want to accept it. If someone wants to be a bigot, fine, but that person should lead a miserable and lonely life where they don't have any options.
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
(09-26-2013, 03:52 PM)LeaningIntoTheMuse Wrote: That's as far as saying it's someone's choice to be a pedophile, to be a mass murderer, to steal, to...etc.

Yes, people have free will, but it's our choice whether or not we want to accept it. If someone wants to be a bigot, fine, but that person should lead a miserable and lonely life where they don't have any options.

But who's to say someone racist (and I'll just keep it at that term) is a horrible person? By the couple of years I've been down here, I've learned that some people don't consider being racism a bad thing. I'll give you an example. My guy's dad... Was nice as can be to me. Never said a harsh word - to my face anyway. But he was an elderly man. Grew up deep south, with old-fashioned ideas. It wasn't bad to him to be that way. That's just how he was. I didn't dislike him for it. I understood that he was an old-school, old mentality kind of person. He said the n-word in front of me, as do the rest of his family... Doesn't offend me any, because I understand that that's just how they were raised.

But like I've stated before, I could probably explain racism easier to a child. I think it's easier to talk about something when you relate to it. I'm not a lesbian, so to have to really explain it wouldn't be my forte.
Oh, I understand that. My grandma was the same way. She passed 2 years ago, at age 95, but she was from the era where black people were one way, and white people were another...and the two never mixed.

What changed was that she adapted. She was a remarkable woman, in that she not only overcame her prejudices, but did so by voting in our first black president, because she felt that he was a better candidate.

It's funny, though, because she also had something against the Japanese...because my grandfather fought in a war, and came back with prejudices. It's really easy for good people to become that way.

I also am not racist, but I'm more likely to react differently to different situations. Put anybody, white black or whatever, in gang type clothes, and I become frightened...but put them in suits and ties, and I trust them. I've actually had to overcome some of my own prejudices against people who look scary.
(09-26-2013, 04:04 PM)VanillaCreme Wrote: My guy's dad... Was nice as can be to me. Never said a harsh word - to my face anyway. But he was an elderly man. Grew up deep south, with old-fashioned ideas. It wasn't bad to him to be that way. That's just how he was. I didn't dislike him for it. I understood that he was an old-school, old mentality kind of person. He said the n-word in front of me, as do the rest of his family... Doesn't offend me any, because I understand that that's just how they were raised.

Racism doesn't really bother me either, but that would of made me sad and leave.
[Image: 106799.jpg]
(09-26-2013, 05:34 PM)LeaningIntoTheMuse Wrote: Put anybody, white black or whatever, in gang type clothes, and I become frightened...but put them in suits and ties, and I trust them. I've actually had to overcome some of my own prejudices against people who look scary.

I think I'd be more scared of the suits and ties. Toungue

(09-27-2013, 12:04 AM)Punisher Wrote:
(09-26-2013, 04:04 PM)VanillaCreme Wrote: My guy's dad... Was nice as can be to me. Never said a harsh word - to my face anyway. But he was an elderly man. Grew up deep south, with old-fashioned ideas. It wasn't bad to him to be that way. That's just how he was. I didn't dislike him for it. I understood that he was an old-school, old mentality kind of person. He said the n-word in front of me, as do the rest of his family... Doesn't offend me any, because I understand that that's just how they were raised.

Racism doesn't really bother me either, but that would of made me sad and leave.

It didn't make me sad for the simple fact that I didn't care to pay him any mind. I easily ignored him, and I'm not saying this to be heartless because I lost my own father just a few months before they did, but I didn't have to deal with him for long.
Oh, I loved my grandma, even though she uttered some racist words.

I don't understand racism, although I understand fearing certain situations. That's what I mean by suit and tie vs. gang clothes. One is more likely to carry a smartphone or book as a weapon, the other is more likely to carry a gun or knife. I have nothing against people protecting themselves, but a lot of people commit murder with those weapons just out of superiority.

I am not racist, I am environmental-type-ist. Whatever environment you grew up in, I may dislike you for that. Same goes for the really conservative bible thumpers.
When you say suit and tie, I think mafia. I'd rather deal with gang members than mafia. But why would you dislike someone because of the environment they grew up in? It's not like we come out the womb ready to make that decision.
That is a huge difference from where I live, because I mean businessmen. Someone who works for a company, sits in a cubicle in front of a computer all day, and knows how to network and create innovative ideas.

We don't even HAVE a mafia around here, or if we do, I don't know about it!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are people nicer to you online than in the real world? TheHydromancer 128 29,816 07-06-2019, 01:17 AM
Last Post: Siku
  Why do poor people get only what's left? African_weasel 47 9,762 06-21-2019, 12:54 AM
Last Post: ahsatan
test So, You Have People Trying to Murder You - Who Do You Call for Help? AlertChristians 4 506 05-01-2019, 10:58 AM
Last Post: Sci-Fi
Cool Reasons Why Some People are So Thin and Twiggy Narrow AlertChristians 7 515 04-30-2019, 03:13 AM
Last Post: TheSkaFish
  People are Being Attacked by Those with Supernatural Abilities or by Demons AlertChristians 105 1,961 04-30-2019, 02:08 AM
Last Post: TheSkaFish
  Racism: Dark skinned people are frowned upon and not the other way around. Azariah 18 1,690 04-09-2019, 05:09 AM
Last Post: ITellYouHhwut
  Lonely Old People 9006 18 11,751 06-25-2016, 10:25 PM
Last Post: Serephina
  Illuminati vs The People (Freemason Capstone Osiris Archangel Michael) Zion Matrix Phaedron 1 2,584 10-17-2015, 08:50 PM
Last Post: 9006
  Art Bell - The Shadow People Phaedron 11 6,450 07-15-2015, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Phaedron
  I'm wondering if people thinks video game is art. deerhooves 8 3,072 07-15-2015, 02:59 PM
Last Post: Phaedron