I really don't know what to do with myself anymore

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Altoids

Reaction score
I've reached a dead end in my life, and I have no idea where things went wrong.

To put it simply, I'm a quiet, reserved, introverted individual with social skills that perhaps rival a rock. Despite that, I've made it through school, through college, with the hope that a great career would lie before me. I did what the teachers told me. I studied, did my homework, got good grades, did all that stuff, under the assumption that it would pay off. It did not. Why? Because they always taught me to be yourself. They teach you that it's OK to be who you are. I believed that. I believed that being a quiet, shy individual was OK, but it isn't. Not in the world we live in today. All that matters is social skill and how many friends you have. That's it. I know a guy who barely made it through high school who's now married, with a kid on the way, with a 60k salary, with no college education. Why? Because he's the best **** talker there is. He knew how to talk his way through the corporate ladder. That's all he needed to know. Me, I thought it would be my skills that carried me, but no. It's not what you know, it's who you know. Unfortunately I learned that too late.

So here I am now, eight years working in a grocery store, since my senior year of high school. Stocking shelves every ******* day. I can't even begin to describe what that is like, for someone like me, a creative individual who strives on using their imagination and artistic abilities. My job requires no use of my talent. None. It's the most brain-dead work there is. And on top of that, I got to listen to the same **** music. The same **** music for EIGHT years! Do you know what it's like to listen to the same songs thousands of times? Even when I'm not at work, those songs creep in my head. I lie in bed at night, they haunt me. Then again, back in the store. Same thing every day. And you know what I do when I'm not working? I'm sitting at home, in my room on the computer. It's like Groundhog Day with Bill Murray. That is what my life is like now. Not one aspect of my life has changed in eight years. I've been living exactly the same day since high school. I feel like a zombie. I feel like I don't even use my brain anymore. All my actions are autonomous. I'm just an empty shell at this point.

And that's just the beginning. As a result, I have no self-esteem. No confidence to do anything. Since forever, I always imagined what it would be like to have friends, or even a girlfriend...but I know with certainty that can't even happen now. I'm 25, working in a grocery. I don't even own my own car. I live at home. I'm EMBARASSED to be seen in that work uniform. I've had my college professors see me working there, only to never see them again. One in particular, I saw her from the corner of my eye. I didn't even look directly at her, but she gave this look of disgust...like I was some peasent, like those untouchables from India. Like I was a leaper or something. Like, if I have a low paying job, I shouldn't even be given the time of day.

To make things worse, my most grandeur failure to date was the book trilogy I was working on. This was something I was working on for ten years. I spent so much time developing the story, the characters, the entire concept. I mean, I can't even begin to describe all the work I put in to this. The cities, the planets, the people, the technology, basically a sci-fi epic. This was my DREAM since I was little, to tell this story. Every day while I was at work, I would work out the scenes in my head, converse with my characters, and during breaks, even write parts of the story on paper towels cause that was all I had to work with. I spent nearly 2000 hours writing the whole thing, revising, editing, designing the book cover, manually creating the e-book version. Couldn't get a publisher, so I say fine, I'll self publish. Tried advertising online wherever I could. In the end, I sold 2 copies and made about $5.

It was one of those things that doesn't hit you until much later. Once I realized my effort was in vain, I sort of felt nothing. I mean, I didn't even write it for the money. I wrote it because I wanted to tell the story. But just to know that I was unable to achieve nothing with my greatest effort just spelled out a hopeless future for me. I'd love to meet the guy who coined the phrase 'hard work pays off' and punch him square in the jaw for being such a ******* liar.

Meanwhile I don't even want to leave the house. I can't stand seeing happy people, happy couples. I can't even bare to look at an attractive women because all I can think is, boy, if I were a normal human being, I'd probably have a chance to hook up with her. So now, all I want to do is isolate myself because it hurts to much to view a functioning society. In a world where everything is sexualized, you feel pretty pathetic for being a virgin at such an old age. I mean, in just a few short years, the state of my life will be humorous enough to be the basis for a hollywood comedy (40 year old virgin).

So yeah, I've been applying for jobs in my field. No luck. And I feel a big part of the problem is that my only real employment is the grocery store. That's not going to look good to any employer. They'll think I'm a moron. So I'm messed. It's the end of the line for me.

I could keep venting forever. I could keep mentioning things, like how I hold seven-hour long conversations with myself at work. Or how I have a diary/journal that's 350,000 words long (essentially the length of the Lord of the Rings trilogy), due mostly impart by a failed romance in high school. That's a whole other sad, pathetic story right there. Failed romances probably go all the way back to 2nd grade for me. I invited a girl to my birthday, and she rips the invitation and throws it in the trash. What kind of 2nd grader does that?! I feel at times like I must be some kind of ogre or something. I freak people out when I call them by name, like my voice belongs to a monster or something. I don't know, I don't care. I'm going to stop.

Feel bad about cluttering the place with this. I figure you'd have to be pretty bored to read all of it. Don't really expect anyone to, but I have no one else to speak to. But if you did read it, thank you. It actually feels amazing for anyone to acknowledge my existence in a world where I'm pretty much invisible.

Don't worry about working at the supermarket, all honest work is good, as long as your remain in the workforce in some degree that's what matters most, not having blank spots in your resume will always help for getting a job you like more in the future.

Having a college degree is great but don't blame yourself if it didn't lead to the career you wanted yet, the way the economy has been since the last 90's has left a lot of people in a bad position.

I do a tedious job every night, that is pretty brainless, I have the same issues with wearing the uniform, although since I ride the subway to work at midnight it's not really that big of a deal, it's mostly homeless people and crackheads so they probably don't care about my janitor uniform.

When I see other people in a uniform whether it's for the pharmacy or movie theater I actually feel and instant connection with them and respect them because I see they have to work hard for a living.

Don't give up on your writing or on doing something creative.

Just keep working on new ideas and don't get hung up on past failures. It's really hard to sell fiction online so don't get discouraged by your book not selling.

Hey Altoids,
reading what you wrote was not boring at all, I sympathize greatly with where your at. I am sure you get sick of hearing just keep trying and hang in there, but if you want to have the best chance at changing things for the better it often takes determination and dedication, both are qualities that I know you have.

I know you have them because anyone who has made it through high school, and college, held a job at a grocery store for 8 years, managed to write such an extensive journal, spend 2000+ hours on a book, completing a book!, is quite an accomplished person. You may not feel that way, but I am telling you to accomplish what you have is really amazing to me. The people who have no struggle in getting to the proverbial top haven't really accomplished anything, its the people who have struggled and fought just to survive who are doing the accomplishing. The people who continually get dumped on, that work hard no matter what they do and don't get recognized but still manage to keep their head up are the most successful people in the world.

Do not give up, please!, keep working at it, and as glasscell wrote, do not give up on writing, or at least something creative!

Do you know how many famous authors had countless numbers of books rejected and not published before they finally got one through. It is not a reflection of talent. I know its not about being famous, but if you love to write, perhaps having a job that allows you the luxury of getting paid to think and work out stuff in your writing is at least one plus of working at the grocery. Maybe no one will ever read your work but that doesn't mean you should not write it. And keep looking for other work, you really never know when an opportunity will come around.

You just have to keep battling through and keep your head up so you don't miss an opportunity when one does come around. Hang in there, I wish you the best.

First of all, it's a good thing that you've come here. Writing things out and getting an outside perspective can be really helpful, especially if you've been feeling cooped up in your own bubble for a while.

I'm 25 also and I find myself agreeing with a lot of your points on how the "real world" works. It's always the things they DON'T tell you that screw you over. No, hard work doesn't always pay off (at least not as much as we're raised to believe it should). It pretty much is all about who you know, and if you're not the most engaging type of person that puts you at a disadvantage in pretty much every field. My completely unscientific estimate is that social skills currently comprise 50% of success, when it should be more like 10%. It's bullshit, but at least we get some satisfaction that the talkers would be nothing without the people who actually get honeysuckle done. Small victories, lol.

So you say you've worked the same job for eight years. And they haven't once offered you a promotion? This is more than just you having crappy social skills. It sounds like crappy management to me. You've certainly proven that you're responsible enough to do more than just stock shelves. You could try looking into working for other stores where they're less likely to take their employees for granted. Just a thought...

It's great that you have a passion for writing... you should hold onto that. Don't hang your head over what happened, from what I hear the publishing world is pretty arbitrary and brutal. Hell, JK Rowling herself wrote a novel under a fake name and the publishers practically ignored it until her true identity came out. Perhaps the problem is that you were too ambitious with your first try. What about short stories? You can even base them off of your own material (and it seems you have a lot of that). I'm sure there are many sci-fi publications out there that are looking for writers. They pay for each submission so it could be a decent source of extra income.

As for wanting a relationship... I totally sympathize. I'm a gold medalist in the Virgin Olympics myself. The secret to finding someone is to meet lots of people... yeah I know, easier said than done. But the entire phenomenon of online dating is built on this concept, and there's no doubt that it's a tool for doing just that. If you're feeling up to it then that's always an option for you. Personally not my cup of tea though.

Lastly, don't give up because you owe it to yourself to be better than that. Sometimes taking stock of where we are in life is the best way to improve our situation. Best of luck.

Revengineer said:
It's great that you have a passion for writing... you should hold onto that. Don't hang your head over what happened, from what I hear the publishing world is pretty arbitrary and brutal. Hell, JK Rowling herself wrote a novel under a fake name and the publishers practically ignored it until her true identity came out.

I'll just add that her Harry Potter series was rejected around a dozen times. In fact, she recently published a book under a pen name and got rejected. The publishing industry is notoriously brutal, so don't lose hope!

Article - J.K.Rowling

Famous Authors Rejected

Also, if you want to build your resume', I suggest applying to temp agencies in addition to your current job. They'll provide you with diverse assignments which will help build your skill set, and give you the opportunity for recommendations. You could very well land a permanent job that way, too. Plus, a lot of temp workers are college graduates, so you'll fit right in.

Good luck, and hang in there!

this might not be much of a suggestion, but books like this changed my life, at least the professional part http://www.amazon.com/How-Talk-Anyone-Success-Relationships/dp/007141858X
http://www.amazon.com/Goodbye-Shy-Shybusters-That-Work/dp/0071456422
in spite of the aggressive titles, the content is very sensible and written by a very sensitive person.
It was a major effort to go and talk to people and try to connect with them, and for many years I had to take tranquilizers to be able to do that, but it paid off, at least with the work, these techniques I think are too artificial to help with creating deeper relationships. Anyway, maybe readings like these can help get you out of the grocery store and find something closer to what you aim for. Not that there is anything bad in the grocery store, it's actually a nice job compared to others, but I understand that if you had some goals for yourself you don't want to be stuck there.

Altoids said:
I've reached a dead end in my life, and I have no idea where things went wrong.

To put it simply, I'm a quiet, reserved, introverted individual with social skills that perhaps rival a rock. Despite that, I've made it through school, through college, with the hope that a great career would lie before me. I did what the teachers told me. I studied, did my homework, got good grades, did all that stuff, under the assumption that it would pay off. It did not. Why? Because they always taught me to be yourself. They teach you that it's OK to be who you are. I believed that. I believed that being a quiet, shy individual was OK, but it isn't. Not in the world we live in today. All that matters is social skill and how many friends you have. That's it. I know a guy who barely made it through high school who's now married, with a kid on the way, with a 60k salary, with no college education. Why? Because he's the best **** talker there is. He knew how to talk his way through the corporate ladder. That's all he needed to know. Me, I thought it would be my skills that carried me, but no. It's not what you know, it's who you know. Unfortunately I learned that too late.

So here I am now, eight years working in a grocery store, since my senior year of high school. Stocking shelves every ******* day. I can't even begin to describe what that is like, for someone like me, a creative individual who strives on using their imagination and artistic abilities. My job requires no use of my talent. None. It's the most brain-dead work there is. And on top of that, I got to listen to the same **** music. The same **** music for EIGHT years! Do you know what it's like to listen to the same songs thousands of times? Even when I'm not at work, those songs creep in my head. I lie in bed at night, they haunt me. Then again, back in the store. Same thing every day. And you know what I do when I'm not working? I'm sitting at home, in my room on the computer. It's like Groundhog Day with Bill Murray. That is what my life is like now. Not one aspect of my life has changed in eight years. I've been living exactly the same day since high school. I feel like a zombie. I feel like I don't even use my brain anymore. All my actions are autonomous. I'm just an empty shell at this point.

And that's just the beginning. As a result, I have no self-esteem. No confidence to do anything. Since forever, I always imagined what it would be like to have friends, or even a girlfriend...but I know with certainty that can't even happen now. I'm 25, working in a grocery. I don't even own my own car. I live at home. I'm EMBARASSED to be seen in that work uniform. I've had my college professors see me working there, only to never see them again. One in particular, I saw her from the corner of my eye. I didn't even look directly at her, but she gave this look of disgust...like I was some peasent, like those untouchables from India. Like I was a leaper or something. Like, if I have a low paying job, I shouldn't even be given the time of day.

To make things worse, my most grandeur failure to date was the book trilogy I was working on. This was something I was working on for ten years. I spent so much time developing the story, the characters, the entire concept. I mean, I can't even begin to describe all the work I put in to this. The cities, the planets, the people, the technology, basically a sci-fi epic. This was my DREAM since I was little, to tell this story. Every day while I was at work, I would work out the scenes in my head, converse with my characters, and during breaks, even write parts of the story on paper towels cause that was all I had to work with. I spent nearly 2000 hours writing the whole thing, revising, editing, designing the book cover, manually creating the e-book version. Couldn't get a publisher, so I say fine, I'll self publish. Tried advertising online wherever I could. In the end, I sold 2 copies and made about $5.

It was one of those things that doesn't hit you until much later. Once I realized my effort was in vain, I sort of felt nothing. I mean, I didn't even write it for the money. I wrote it because I wanted to tell the story. But just to know that I was unable to achieve nothing with my greatest effort just spelled out a hopeless future for me. I'd love to meet the guy who coined the phrase 'hard work pays off' and punch him square in the jaw for being such a ******* liar.

Meanwhile I don't even want to leave the house. I can't stand seeing happy people, happy couples. I can't even bare to look at an attractive women because all I can think is, boy, if I were a normal human being, I'd probably have a chance to hook up with her. So now, all I want to do is isolate myself because it hurts to much to view a functioning society. In a world where everything is sexualized, you feel pretty pathetic for being a virgin at such an old age. I mean, in just a few short years, the state of my life will be humorous enough to be the basis for a hollywood comedy (40 year old virgin).

So yeah, I've been applying for jobs in my field. No luck. And I feel a big part of the problem is that my only real employment is the grocery store. That's not going to look good to any employer. They'll think I'm a moron. So I'm messed. It's the end of the line for me.

I could keep venting forever. I could keep mentioning things, like how I hold seven-hour long conversations with myself at work. Or how I have a diary/journal that's 350,000 words long (essentially the length of the Lord of the Rings trilogy), due mostly impart by a failed romance in high school. That's a whole other sad, pathetic story right there. Failed romances probably go all the way back to 2nd grade for me. I invited a girl to my birthday, and she rips the invitation and throws it in the trash. What kind of 2nd grader does that?! I feel at times like I must be some kind of ogre or something. I freak people out when I call them by name, like my voice belongs to a monster or something. I don't know, I don't care. I'm going to stop.

Feel bad about cluttering the place with this. I figure you'd have to be pretty bored to read all of it. Don't really expect anyone to, but I have no one else to speak to. But if you did read it, thank you. It actually feels amazing for anyone to acknowledge my existence in a world where I'm pretty much invisible.

I wanted to work with computers. I ended up in a grocery shop too. Been doing it for 20 years. It's as dead end as you can get but at least it's a job and the pay is okay.

I think writing is very hard to get into. You should feel proud about the book you wrote. Not many people can claim to be able to write a book as complex as you describe. You are too down on yourself. If you hate your job, try and get another one. We can't all have great jobs, somebody as to stack shelves and serve customers.

If it makes you happy, try some more writing. Try other things as well, other hobbies. You will probably find the happier you feel, the more people will want to know you ! (That includes women as well !)

Hi Altoids,

I read your post, I didn't find it boring at all..in fact, I relate to a lot of it... aside from the fact that I am 10 years older than you. I'm stuck at a dead end too, but trying like Hell to get find another road! Lets NOT give up together!

I know you are hating your job, but its a job...and its honest, hard work. That music is a **** killer...I hear that! My dad worked at a grocery store his whole life, it was the only job he ever had... he ended up being a produce manager, and just retired at age 63, last year. He provided very well for the family, built the house of his dreams, and has an AMAZING retirement package due to his work at the market. Don't get down on yourself... Honestly, grocery stores protect their employees...the union...etc... Keep looking for work you really want to do, but don't be down about the job you have.

As far as your writing... DONT EVER GIVE UP!!!!! If it is a passion...keep going!!!!!!! write, write, write!!!!! let your creative juices flow... and keep sending your work out to publishers... it will pay off in time!

I'm sorry you are feeling stuck and so down right now... so many of us here can understand where you are coming from, and if we don't... we are all pretty good listeners! You've come to the right place.

Drop by the chat room... post as much as you like.. and you can share some of your writing work (if you want to) in any thread! I'd love to read some! :)

Hi Altoids, I found your post really sad and really interesting and hope that I can help you a little.
First of all, a lot of introverted people (including me) will identify with you on being told by others to be yourself and then finding that what they really mean is for you to pretend to be more outgoing. They are so contradictory without even being fully aware of it. Present western culture favours the extroverts, their particular skills seem to be the ones in demand both in employment and in dating situations.
Secondly, there is no shame in doing shelf stacking in a supermarket. It is honest work and you have no long gaps on your CV. Also, it leaves your mind free to create story ideas and maybe to rework parts of your trilogy so that it sells more copies. A more mentally demanding job would take up too much of your headspace for you to think creatively about your own projects whilst at work.
Also, lots of people take jobs nowadays which are below their capability level as the jobs market is hard. I doubt very much that your college proferssor was disgusted at your working in the shop. She could have been thinking of her own concerns and worries and hardly registered you, or she could have been disgusted by a society which doesn't have jobs to suit people's needs and aspirations.
I hate being single as well and find it so painful to see happy couples. But all we can do is mix with others, and hope that one day we will also be part of a happy couple.

Thanks to everyone that responded. It does feel good to hear advice that doesn't come from your own head. I know working in a grocery isn't the worst possible job, but my biggest concern was always being able to support myself financially, and that's not even something I could do right now. As far as promotions, only thing I could ever get in that store in the department manager position, but I'd have to wait for her to retire before I could get that.

In the meantime, I have already developed the premise for another book, one aimed towards a younger demographic. It should be a lot less stressful to work on. Sometimes I think that maybe I'm just too ambitious, which is what brings in a lot of the failures. I'll try to seek out a temp agency, and basically just keep trying to apply wherever I can. It's really the only thing I can do.

**** man, **** indeed.
I couldn't imagine the pain and suffering you are going through right, maybe that's because I'm exactly the same, still a virgin, just finished college and it took all strength I got to go through with it, and now I'm saying to myself, I'm older and so I'm better at dealing with people and social situations, also looking to get a job hoping that will boost my social status, too bad I see only pain and despair ahead, because I believe the darker picture is always the correct one, so let's see if I'm going to do any better .....

Altoids said:
Thanks to everyone that responded. It does feel good to hear advice that doesn't come from your own head. I know working in a grocery isn't the worst possible job, but my biggest concern was always being able to support myself financially, and that's not even something I could do right now. As far as promotions, only thing I could ever get in that store in the department manager position, but I'd have to wait for her to retire before I could get that.

In the meantime, I have already developed the premise for another book, one aimed towards a younger demographic. It should be a lot less stressful to work on. Sometimes I think that maybe I'm just too ambitious, which is what brings in a lot of the failures. I'll try to seek out a temp agency, and basically just keep trying to apply wherever I can. It's really the only thing I can do.

I think that its great that you have ideas for another book! never give up.... I am happy to hear that you will be writing again!

My boss a male said it is not how good you were in your work but who you knew that can help you..

My second boss a female said it is not about being the good one being punctual etc but performing and showing results...

dunno if its relevant but there you go...

Hi Altoids,

I know it's been a while and not even sure you'll see this. I was just wondering how you're coming along with the books.

It sounds like you are putting a great amount of work into them and Id be curious to see some of the material (old and new) as I might be able to help with publishing. Sometimes with these things it's a lot about who you know and how you advertise yourself, so just because your book was not accepted it does not mean it is not great.

Let me know :)

Altoids said:

yeah, such a job would have destroyed me long ago. Why don't you go to a college for art part time...

Altoids, if this helps any, I'm in exactly the same position as you are.
It's a brutal feeling I know and I myself don't know how to handle it mentally, let alone in reality.

I'm amazed you kept a journal, I can't even read nor write, my attention is terrible. I can barely bring myself to coming online and using a keyboard.

I hope things get better for you, but you're working, it's a start right.

Latest posts

Back