Explaining None Existant Weekend Plans

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superfly47

Reaction score
Near the end of the week people like to ask, "What are you doing this weekend?"

I'm usually just play video games and watch tv. How would I answer that question without sounding like a boring loser? I also don't want to be very vague and sound like I'm hiding something.

there is always the simple turn-around answer: not much, you?
then it puts the ball into their court.

depends who you are talking to though really. you could just try to have a bunch or smart assed comments ready like : "whatever your mom wants to do" or "like every weekend, planning on taking over the world!"

honestly though, I don't think it matters or says as much as you worry about. I am married and have a family and usually have no problems keeping busy on the weekends, and I normally don't have much to say when asked what my plans are either. I say, "watching a movie" or just simply say, "not too much if I can help it" and that is the end of that. try not to let it bother you. people usually ask that for small talk and aren't judging you as much as you judge yourself.

^ Definitely this, though I wouldn't dare use the "Whatever your mom wants to do." on everyone. :)

I assume you work, or at least go to school during the week?

If so just say, what I say-" I plan on doing absolutely nothing. Catch on on sleep/rest"

Seriously if you work all week, then go and be active all weekend, when are you going to rest? Plus video games are relatively cheap compared to going to the bar, or movies every weekend.

Walley said:
then it puts the ball into their court.

Agree with this, however, I certainly don't consider gaming being a boring loser. If that's the case, I'd gladly be a boring loser, and **** proud of it too.

Garbageman said:
^ Definitely this, though I wouldn't dare use the "Whatever your mom wants to do." on everyone. :)

Yeah, as amusing as it sounds, if you tried that with the majority of people in my town, you'd be picking yourself up off the pavement.

I'd stick with just using general, non-committal answers. In all honesty, who cares what anyone else thinks about what you're doing? Just do whatever makes you happy and screw everyone else. There are probably more gamers in this world now than non-gamers anyway...

Walley said:

Yes, then they usually tell me that they aren't doing much of anything either.

As had been said, it is just small talk.

Minus said:
Yes, then they usually tell me that they aren't doing much of anything either.

As had been said, it is just small talk.

I don't think anyone expects a huge list of events that's gonna be taking place.

I wouldn't think too much into small talk like this.

I could say not much as an option.

I was thinking I'd just say. "Watching football, really looking forward to the Alabama and Texas A&M game." Which is true. If someone else has an interest in football it could spark a conversation I'd enjoy having.

Should remember to say, "and you?" at the end. Sometimes people ask a generic question expecting you'll ask it in response. I sometimes get into a habit of focusing on answering others questions and forgetting to turn the focus on the other person.

Sounds like a vicious cycle.

You're lying to people because you don't want to get a negative image. This indicates insecurity.

People generally prefer secure people over insecure ones. Meaning that, if you keep lying about it, people will just like you less and less. And yes they will notice, somehow.

Break the cycle, speak the truth.

nerdygirl said:
I think, "Just taking some time to chill out" or some such thing works nicely.

This. Usually people understand if you just say that, because it's normal to ''charge batteries'' in the weekends.

I'm usually straightforward and tell people I'm doing chores. It doesn't matter what your plans are as long as you enjoy them. My friend spent a Saturday at home gardening and told me how good it was to work and get some sun. To me, that wasn't something "loser-ish" -- they were great plans!

Why not try going somewhere out by yourself? It can be as simple as going to a new place to eat and discovering something delicious!

my not-so-subtle strategy is to say: I am not doing much this weekend, but I really wanted to see this or that (event, concert, zoo, eatery, whatever), maybe next weekend I'll go - wanna come?

but there needs to be a little bit of familiarity, I wouldn't dare to do it with people I know very superficially

During most people's weekends there are things that need doing such as working on the section and other chores, helping out relatives. Make a point of emphasizing those activities. That way it sounds like you're just unable to go out and socialize, rather than you're lonely and life is empty.

like vanilla said.. be proud of gaming. in reality, there is nothing wrong with gaming - all week, every week. its no different than golfing every week..

here is a joke: "what do professional golfers do when they retire?"

but like many have said, its just small talk - dont sweat it. there is no image to protect. image is just an illusion that have been made up. the sooner you realize 'there is no image (spoon)' the better off you are.

Latest posts

Back