Can you guys help me with a little problem I am facing?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike510

Reaction score
I have no idea which section this should go in so please move it if you feel the need to.

I moved here to Michigan 2 months ago from California, but I had renewed my license and ID card in California. They never arrived though before I left and now my current ID and license cards expire one week from today. I know without a license you can not drive and I have no intent to without a license but I am more worried about not having a place to stay. I have been staying at this hotel which gives me really good deals so it is pretty good, but I also have to go to another city once a week and spend a night in a hotel there till I can get back the next morning. I am worried because they always check my ID when I try to get a room and I don't want to be sleeping outside at night it is under 45 degrees here everynight now. Also without a car here I take trains and buses to go from location to location but both require an ID to purchase a ticket.

I also can not go to the DMV here and have a Michigan Id/License made because my birth certificate is at my parents home in California. Because of that I can not even establish a P.O. box here to have it sent to me. I am just wondering if the expired picture ID can still be used for non driving purposes because I seriously don't know what to do.

Can't you have your parents email you a copy of your birth certificate and you can check it at a local library and print it there for a small fee? Or have them fax it someplace, check around for which business does faxes. You need to solve this before you have a bigger problem.

I'm extremely sorry if this doesn't help you, but you'll probably have to go back to California to retrieve your IDs. First, I'd try to see if the DMV can do anything. Other than that, I don't really see many options. Some people might not particularly be so strict, seeing as you did move quite a bit of way not that long ago, so two months wouldn't be a huge deal. I hope it's resolved before it gets into a more lengthy time period.

over here for matters like this (england) we have a 'citizens advice beuro' where they can deal with any legalism or advise on anything to do with money, debt, housing you have anything like that here? could you strait explain the situation to the places you stay it? its stilll you on that photo id its STILL government ID your identity didnt expire how can it? just your official permission to drive isnt valid but i should think that it should be ok for id to just get a room, i mean you go there a lot, im amazed they even want id to rent a room, you just pay them and stay in the room here lol, even renting my flat required no ID just a tenancy agreement....at the very worst are there like cheap hostels or ymca's you could sleep at if you really did end up homelesss from this mishap, maybe look online for emergency shelters or ymca/hostel type places locally and store the numbers on your cell phone so if the worst should happen you wont be cold n vulnerable on a bench?

best of luck and look after yourself! i know what its like, ANY chance i may not have a home has me near suicidal! scares the hell outta me *hugs*

Most places will take an expired id as a valid form of Id, so you should be ok for a while till you can get a copy of your birth certificate. Good luck

I would imagine that an ID would work because not everyone drives. If you have a credit card or bank card, that might work for proof as well.

To be sure, go to the local DMV and ask them this same question.

ForGrantedWife said:
Can't you have your parents email you a copy of your birth certificate and you can check it at a local library and print it there for a small fee? Or have them fax it someplace, check around for which business does faxes. You need to solve this before you have a bigger problem.

I am going to ask them tonight about that or even general delivaring my new id's to me.

VanillaCreme said:
I'm extremely sorry if this doesn't help you, but you'll probably have to go back to California to retrieve your IDs. First, I'd try to see if the DMV can do anything. Other than that, I don't really see many options. Some people might not particularly be so strict, seeing as you did move quite a bit of way not that long ago, so two months wouldn't be a huge deal. I hope it's resolved before it gets into a more lengthy time period.

That is actually what I am affraid of is having to go all the way back there. I spoke with the DMV today and there isn't much they can do since it is a California Id.

simhthmss said:
over here for matters like this (england) we have a 'citizens advice beuro' where they can deal with any legalism or advise on anything to do with money, debt, housing you have anything like that here? could you strait explain the situation to the places you stay it? its stilll you on that photo id its STILL government ID your identity didnt expire how can it? just your official permission to drive isnt valid but i should think that it should be ok for id to just get a room, i mean you go there a lot, im amazed they even want id to rent a room, you just pay them and stay in the room here lol, even renting my flat required no ID just a tenancy agreement....at the very worst are there like cheap hostels or ymca's you could sleep at if you really did end up homelesss from this mishap, maybe look online for emergency shelters or ymca/hostel type places locally and store the numbers on your cell phone so if the worst should happen you wont be cold n vulnerable on a bench?

best of luck and look after yourself! i know what its like, ANY chance i may not have a home has me near suicidal! scares the hell outta me *hugs*

Thank you. I should of looked into going to England if I knew the no Id wasn't a problem there lol. I know of a homeless shelter in town but I am scared of bring my bag with my belongings there because people told me the other people staying there constantly steal.

Garbageman said:
Most places will take an expired id as a valid form of Id, so you should be ok for a while till you can get a copy of your birth certificate. Good luck

I hope you are right. I would like to think some places would be understanding for the time being.

Okiedokes said:
I would imagine that an ID would work because not everyone drives. If you have a credit card or bank card, that might work for proof as well.

Never though of the credit card as Id good point.

dax said:
To be sure, go to the local DMV and ask them this same question.

I did and they said it was a California dmv problem and they could not help me here.

When I came down here to MS, all I did was go and get a MS ID. I had a SC one, which they told me was illegal to have multiple state IDs, but then the lady handed it back to me after getting my MS ID. So, you can probably just go to the DMV and get a new ID issued.

VanillaCreme said:
When I came down here to MS, all I did was go and get a MS ID. I had a SC one, which they told me was illegal to have multiple state IDs, but then the lady handed it back to me after getting my MS ID. So, you can probably just go to the DMV and get a new ID issued.

The only problem with that is I don't have a permanate address. I keep switching places I stay.

Have you actually tried to get a PO Box? The USPS site lists passports, military IDs, and university IDs as acceptable forms of photo identification, and these don't have addresses on them. I'd probably do whatever paperwork and list my old address, and if they ask, tell them that I'm planning to move to the area and need a local PO Box. It's best not to mention that you've already been staying in local hotels, because they might consider your ID as invalid.

http://www.ehow.com/how_8458043_po-box-another-state.html
http://ask.metafilter.com/80357/Address-in-one-postal-district-PO-Box-in-another

nerdygirl said:
Have you actually tried to get a PO Box? The USPS site lists passports, military IDs, and university IDs as acceptable forms of photo identification, and these don't have addresses on them. I'd probably do whatever paperwork and list my old address, and if they ask, tell them that I'm planning to move to the area and need a local PO Box. It's best not to mention that you've already been staying in local hotels, because they might consider your ID as invalid.

http://ask.metafilter.com/80357/Address-in-one-postal-district-PO-Box-in-another

Thank you, I tried getting a PO box last month I used my ID and they said they required a second form of ID like a birth certificate or car insurence information. I may have this problem figured out though my father sent a letter general delivery with my new ID in it but if it arrives after my license expires I might not be able to get it.

Mike510 said:
nerdygirl said:

Thank you, I tried getting a PO box last month I used my ID and they said they required a second form of ID like a birth certificate or car insurence information. I may have this problem figured out though my father sent a letter general delivery with my new ID in it but if it arrives after my license expires I might not be able to get it.

If you've got your new ID, birth certificate, and/or SS card, you probably don't need your license. If you get someone nice, and they see that it just expired, they may just ignore the expired date.

I don't have my SS card or my birth certificate on me. The ID should be arriving in the next couple days but if it comes monday I am going to have a hard time.

Latest posts

Back