My job situation (lack of)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike413

Reaction score
Well actually I don't have one and that's the problem.

Let me explain further. I have been without a job for over six years. I am on disability. My mother suggested I go on disability when it became clear that I just kept going from job to job. So I reluctantly decided to go that route. I have been depressed and had mental issues in the past so it wasn't much of a stretch to do that. However, it became a chicken or egg kind of thing. Was I depressed because I had no job and couldn't keep one or did I have no job and couldn't keep one because I was depressed.

So these days I don't even bother trying to apply because I figure no one will hire me with my crappy track record of going from job to job. Not only that but I honestly don't remember most of the last few jobs I had. I am reluctant to do anything temporary. Also there's the factor that I have to be careful not to lose my benefits. I have a college degree but have never been able to get a job in my field because of lack of experience.

I have no idea when I will get a job but it doesn't seem like it will be any time soon. I have looked into agencies but none of the mental health ones have been able to help me. One woman is really disrespectful so I can't see myself working with her.

I have taken civil service tests but it is competitive and and I have never heard back from them(other than once about a temp job).

I have looked into online stuff but most doesn't seem legitimate.

I have no idea what to do. I am looking into volunteer work(loosely related to my field)but I don't count on that leading to a regular job.

On top of this I have pretty much no social life. I don't even bother to date because I figure no woman would be interested in a man without a job(let alone a career). Even if she did go out with me if another guy came along who did have a job I'd be tossed aside in a second. Not having a job has affected my self esteem to the point where I don't think I could be successful with the opposite sex so I figure why bother.

I basically just don't know what to do with myself and like I said before I don't apply to jobs because I don't remember my last few and just assume nobody will hire me(even though that is ultimately an assumption being the way things are I know I'd just be wasting my time for the most part and my chances are pretty low). I've had literally dozens and dozens of jobs in the past. I would not want to do some of those again(fast food for example)just for the sake of having a job. If it's not going to be significantly more than what I get now on SSD then it's not worth it. Needless to say I can't afford to pay for classes of any kind.

Any advice or suggestions that are not mean spirited or negative are welcome.

Yeah I really feel for you on that. I have a similar situation. I've been told to look into trying a job agency, as I will generally accept a low paying job so long as it's not ill-suited for social anxiety. However you've had bad experiences with job agencies where they were disrespectful? What do you think would cause them to treat you in such a way?

Makes it worse when "you do not have experience". It's like... If you never give me the chance, how can I gain experience?! :)

Do you have any skills, or likes (hobbies and such) you could use to your advantage? Some job types are NOT made for everyone.

I have typing skills. I can type probably at least forty maybe fifty words a minute. That's not a lot but it's something.

As for hobbies I'm a big music fan but not very good on any instrument. I'm very lazy which doesn't help me much. I've tried to get into painting but like I said I'm too lazy and don't know where to begin with a lot of things.

It wasn't a temp agency where someone was rude that was a different kind of company. It's kind of a long story.

The fact that I don't really know anyone in my area and have no friends doesn't help much either.

I would like to make money doing something "under the table" but I don't really know how to do that either.

Voluntary work might be a good option because even if it doesn't lead to a regular job in your field, it would be something positive to put on your CV. And it might lead to other job options in other fields which you haven't thought of before. You would also be updating your skills and meeting new people. This might help to take your mind off your problems for a while and to relax.
I wouldn't do anything 'under the table' if I were you because if you do and you get caught, then you would have a criminal record and your chances of ever getting a decent job would be lower again. It is better to be honest and not to do anything illegal.

Tiina63 said:
Voluntary work might be a good option because even if it doesn't lead to a regular job in your field, it would be something positive to put on your CV. And it might lead to other job options in other fields which you haven't thought of before. You would also be updating your skills and meeting new people. This might help to take your mind off your problems for a while and to relax.

Good advice. Recent voluntary or temp work will be good to add to your CV.

Tiina63 said:
I wouldn't do anything 'under the table' if I were you because if you do and you get caught, then you would have a criminal record and your chances of ever getting a decent job would be lower again. It is better to be honest and not to do anything illegal.

Criminal record and you'll have to pay all the benefit payments back.

And that criminal record closes (and locks) tons of doors. And working under the table... They can screw you over. Not like it's a contract, or a job... Right? ;) So they technically don't even have to pay you.

Are you lazy... Or do you procrastinate? I procrastinate :p I shouldn't, but I do. And it definitely slows down progression.

It depends on what kind of job it is under the table. According to you guys babysitters and petsitters should all go to jail. Those are all under the table jobs. I know a woman who is a dog sitter. She's been doing that for several years. It depends on how consistent it is and how much money you make with it. If it's a very part time thing I don't see what the big deal is. Typically you have to know someone who does that. I suppose it's only illegal if you don't report it at the end of the year when you do your taxes anyway.

Oh and please excuse my ignorance but what does CV stand for? I live in the US and have never heard that term before.

If you are a guy, you are not likely to be hired as a babysitter. Just saying.

Although, if you are good with animals, a petsitter would be a viable option.

Latest posts

Back