New Phone Rant

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Senamian

Reaction score
Ugh... So, long story short:

My ex had me on his account on his contract, which then I had my own phone. I convinced him to take the phone back when he broke it off with me.

A year later (now), got a new phone with Bell as a new customer - went with their "Virgin Mobility" one, as it is cheaper and had the phone I wanted... I got a new number, ready to go...

This morning, I'm checking out the features on my phone - getting my google account up and going... Then I go into my contacts. I see names there that I do not know? "Angel"... "Breanna".... "Broos" (yes, spelt that way)... I recognized that spelling. And those names. Oh dear God those are his contacts from a year ago!

Feeling not only creeped out, but as an accidental creeper, I contacted a rep from Bell and they said it was because I used to be linked to his account. But it is a different number. And that was a year ago that I was under his contract. And the old phone I had on his account did not have his contacts. And my name should have been removed from said account.

So now I am sifting through names, deleting those I do not know. But now the thought (may be silly... but it's there...) of "what if it accidentally crosses messages, pictures, calls etc....?!" Probably won't, but I still feel a tad paranoid. And creeped out. They have assured me it won't happen. But I will be going into the store tomorrow after work to find out for sure...

-shudder-

Other than that I love the phone. And the people are a lot better with this service than Telus ever was.

That is pretty scary! seems odd that it would do that. I would definitely look further into that, and make sure it is not linked in any way to previous account. :)

I bet its more to do with your google account and not really the phone specifically.
your account must be merged with his. I have a couple of accounts myself and merge them so I get all my contacts into the same places. maybe see if you can find the settings for that and unmerge them?
deleting may not be permanent because if you sync or update at all they will still be stored on googles servers.
I've having an opposite issue atm myself. I have to keep on adding contacts and they disappear after it syncs..

I'll go in then, and make sure to tell them to NOT have our accounts merged in any way. It's infuriating, and will surely really piss off his fiancé if he receives my contacts, and vice versa... But I'll let them know exactly what is happening... I do not need more petty drama, or having the heebie jeebies when I find his contacts on my phone! It's creepy. And I don't think they should have merged my unrelated phone service to his... You'd think you would want a verbal (in person) agreement between the two parties.....

As for photo's you can solve that one easy, just don't have photo's on your phone you wouldn't want people to see.

I don't think I want a new phone then, I'll just stick with my old one. It may not access the internet anymore and doesn't have all kinds of fancy features or a touch screen but it works.

That's bizarre. Hopefully by the time you read this your account will be separate, or whatever it takes to fix this. My phone prob is tame by comparison: The battery seems to run down a little faster now. Gotta get a new battery for it IP....

Yours is an instance of why I never went in for cloud computing....
no privacy.

Lol the thing is, doesn't matter what kind of photos (I do not have inappropriate ones on there anyways), it is the lack of privacy... And the fear of lack of privacy between two people who want nothing to do with each other. God knows I'd sync and get his photos... Which probably would be selfies of abs lol.

I used to have an iPhone 4, with the update (and the screen cracking badly) I decided to say "the hell with it!" and got an android phone; Sony Xperia SP. Decent phone for mid range. He tried to tell me my phone as it was was better than the one I wanted. I did my homework, and actually it is a step up :p For cheap. Like.. 200.00 buy out. I didn't care for the 700.00 phones he was showing me. This one is simple, elegant, and it does what I need: text, call, and has an app I use for banking. Done. :)

As for the suggestion of Cloud: is there a way to not use Cloud by any chance? I know cloud is a new fangled thing, that "everyone has!" even Norton antivirus uses in their 360 version, Staples and other electronic stores also use and offer to customers... Ugh. I'd rather risk losing information and data than having my privacy exploited.

They said (phone) that it should be resolved, but the thing is I got a weird notice of "more than 6 contacts were deleted." And I undid it... There were none that I personally deleted that came back. If it happens after they fix it for sure, tomorrow, in the store, in person... Then I will tell them to take back the contract, or else.

As it is, it is really the fault of the people who sold you the new phone, because any reasonable geek can separate accounts.

When I switched from my iPhone 4 to an Android, Verizon removed all the useless data. Same with when I switched back to an iPhone 5. Nothing there that was unnecessary.

True.

Well I went into the store and asked about it. He said it has to do with the GMAIL account, which automatically transfers data (which is kind of cool... But you'd think they would have it MANUAL so you ASK for it, instead of getting useless crap you had 1-5 years ago...).

So my options are: Keep MY gmail account and have a chance of it reoccurring... Or... Make a new gmail account. :/ Which technically I coud just deactivate my gmail account after transferring my youtube (only thing I use the **** thing for...) onto a new account. I don't need to have a hundred accounts for every stupid thing (it's irritating :))

That's apparently the only way to deal with it. -.- Unimpressed... But at least it is doable.

Latest posts

Back