Hobbies to meet people?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelbo

Reaction score
I've decided that enough is enough, I want to try be proactive in trying to make friends. I'm nearly 26 though so it's not going to be easy as most people my age already have friends or they are starting to settle down.

So my question is does anyone have any ideas of hobbies or things I can do to try make friends or meet people through?

I'm not very confident so some hobbies that require skills I'm quite scared of because of my low self esteem. But I'm willing to try out things as I'm fed up of feeling lonely. I also don't want them to evolve around alcohol as I don't really drink much.

Anyone else tried meeting people this way? Any ideas, thoughts or experiences are very welcome please?

Kelly :)

kelbo said:
I've decided that enough is enough, I want to try be proactive in trying to make friends. I'm nearly 26 though so it's not going to be easy as most people my age already have friends or they are starting to settle down.

So my question is does anyone have any ideas of hobbies or things I can do to try make friends or meet people through?

I'm not very confident so some hobbies that require skills I'm quite scared of because of my low self esteem. But I'm willing to try out things as I'm fed up of feeling lonely. I also don't want them to evolve around alcohol as I don't really drink much.

Anyone else tried meeting people this way? Any ideas, thoughts or experiences are very welcome please?

Kelly :)

what about a cycling club ? Or a walking society ?

Hmmm... What do YOU like?

Volunteer: If you like animals, shelters LOVE to have volunteers. You work with animals, and with people. Volunteer at places that help people get back on their feet - if you have those near you.

Activities: Biking, hiking, sports...

If you have anything like what we have here ("Farmer's Market" or "Flea Market") and you have something you'd love to share, show off, sell, (handyman, artsy, etc)) Those are great for meeting people with the same interest if you are alright with crowds.

We have community learning classes here in Wales. You might have something like that in England.

They don't just have classes for boring work or education related stuff, they have all different kinds of things like guitar lessons and painting. Might be a way to meet some new people.

I think this is the right link for my area http://www.newport.gov.uk/_dc/index.cfm?fuseaction=adulted.faq look for something like that :p

That's great that you're looking for hobbies to meet people through. It really depends on your own interests and what's available in your city. If there's a news paper or website for your area, you could see if they have a community section, maybe clubs or associations will advertise meetings.

Everyone above has made excellent suggestions, and don't give up if the first thing you try is not for you. Even quiet hobbies like reading and watching films can be used to meet people, like film society where they screen films , or a book club.

I did something similar over the past year, with success. If you seem to click with people, just relax and try not to worry, just take a little interest in them at first, and if they are for you then they will appreciate it and reciprocate :).

I hope it goes well for you, let us know how you get on :).

Any social gathering that comes up in your area that's open to the public-go to it. They're often listed in the newspaper. Watch for them and go :) Our area has things like ice cream socials, church charity drives, car shows, book clubs, study groups, library meetings for various reasons, etc. Watch for events and jump right in with a big welcoming smile.

Congrats on taking the first step towards changing your stars and meeting new people. That is very brave and takes guts to follow through on!

When I get some time I'd like to try (and therefore suggest) ballroom dancing. You're allowed to be awful and you get some close up one on one time with people so you can talk to them (although I'd probably be too out of breath!)

Find things that truly interest you. If you like sports, get involved in coaching or something like that. There are also numerous civics clubs you could try out.

well you can join a book o movie club; it will change a little bit your routine; but i suggest try something different. I had the same problem at the beginning of the year i was tired of doing the same, so i decide to challenge myself, and i joined a roller derby team, i have low Self-esteem , so, i tough: if i can make this, i can do anything. it was pretty scary because i didn't learn to skate in my childhood, i had use a pair of skates just once in my life; it was the scariest thing in my life, putting a pair of skate and not being able to make a step while 20 experimented skaters look at you; in that moment, my toughs were killing me "i regret this decision", "you are not able to do this, don't be dumb" "you will never learn", "they will laugh of you". It was the best decision of my life, i did it, i have learned so much, it was really hard because i have never been an athletic person, i have never trained so hard in my life; and that's because im proud of my self, i beat up my negative brain, i skate with the team, i have meet awesome people from all around my country, i have traveled to different cities for games. Roller derby is for everybody (seriously you meet all kind of people, all kind of ages, our only thing in common is derby, and its a TEAM sport, they will teach and help you), you just need to work your ass off <3 think about it <3

If you like reading, I'd also suggest trying a book club. You automatically have a topic for conversation! Good luck. =)

Latest posts

Back