So how do you get people to treat you "normal" again?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghostwriter

Reaction score
Long story short, I tried to off myself but lived.
Now my friends treat me like I'm an antique glass figurine. I've told them this bothers me already but they won't/can't change their behavior. Help? I've been distancing myself from everyone lately and that doesn't help my case. So how can I just get my friends to act like my friends again, not therapists?
Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Get back to your old self again. Move on. Once they see you're YOU again it'll be back to normal.

People don't respond to being told...they respond to being SHOWN.

Sorry about your troubles and best of luck to you!

That makes sense. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I feel like I'm being old me but I guess I'm not.
Thanks.

Hi, maybe they are trying to be wary in the sense of looking for signs that they may not want to miss, if you felt the need again. They care, have you talked to them about how you want to be treated :). I hope you can get to a place you are content with :).

How long has it been? If you've been just behaving like yourself again then maybe all they need is time to see that you're you again for good and not just for a period of time only.

I would just act like it never happened. past is past. let it go.

^ What he said.

If you keep acting like you're still living in the past, it's gonna be more noticeable to them. If I were you, move along and act like that never happened.

So the general consensus seems to be that it'll pass in time.
Love you guys lots for responding, thanks.

Hey.
I´m sorry for the original feeling. I dont know if that changed, but I guess that was not the point of your question.
I do not know about them, but I can tell you how I would act in the position of your friend/friends.
Unfortunately for you, I would never see you the same way. I would never act the same way as before. But the perception of them treating you as a antique glass figure, I think, is how you see it, not them. They see it as you. They always saw you based on the information and feeling they had with you. If informations change, as well as the evidence of feeling, perception changes.
You say that you want them to treat you like they did before, right? But they must feel that the way they treated you was wrong, if it didnt help you in before. They changed it because of you, not because of your relationship.

So for your question. I dont think they will ever treat you like they did before. But they dont have to be your therapists for ever. But the way they treat you will change, for good or bad.
What I think is you should accept it, if possible. The things changed. They changed, as they learned more about you. And maybe you should change. They can not treat the same person as they did before. It failed. But maybe they can be less cautious to a different person, changed person. Maybe if they see you changed, for whatever reason it may be, they will again believe that you are okay.

Sorry if I wrote just a lot of nonsense above. I just think this is the way it is. If its not, just ignore it, and I´m sorry I annoyed you with that.

But anyway, I hope that you will get better, feel better, in time. You have friends who apparently deeply care, even if they don't know how to help, so that's going for you, right?

Latest posts

Back