You know you're getting old when

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know you are getting old when you are watching another movie with Leatherface hacking up more people with his chainsaw and the thought that comes to your mind is "He should be more careful about bloodborne pathogens."

When a candy bar costs more then a **** dollar!

Does it?
in-disbelief-smiley-emoticon.gif

When you start thinking out loud about stupid people on TV who say their stole was stolen, and the stole was STOLEN right? So you keep talking to yourself, if they stole your stole is that really a Stollen Stole or is it........oh feekkke me........i gotta go .....

When none of the new music groups make sense to you anymore.

I've definitely had this feeling more and more these last several years.

It used to be that a lot of the popular music, I would think "it's not for me", but it was still recognizable as music to me. But the last few summers, whenever I passed by any kids in the road or at parks, they were almost all listening to mumble rap, or "drill" or whatever it is. And I just don't get the appeal at all. It's not for me, AND I don't get how people think it's interesting and cool to listen to. I don't get how people think it's good. It's like, "this is music now....????"

That's when I started to feel old, like I wasn't with "it" anymore (not that I ever really was in the first place - I've always been a late bloomer because I was always trying to hold on to the previous phase of life where I was happier).

Last edited:
I've definitely had this feeling more and more these last several years.

It used to be that a lot of the popular music, I would think "it's not for me, but I could see how someone might like it". But the last few summers, whenever I passed by any kids in the road or at parks, they were almost all listening to mumble rap, or "drill" or whatever it is. And I just don't get the appeal at all. That's when I started to feel old, like I wasn't with "it" anymore (not that I ever really was in the first place - I've always been a late bloomer because I was always trying to hold on to the previous phase of life where I was happier).

If it makes you feel any better, mumble rap gets mocked even among the younger generation.

If it makes you feel any better, mumble rap gets mocked and derided even among the kids.

I mean, I'm not really sure if it's mumble rap at all. Like I said it could be that "drill" or whatever it's called, or something else entirely. But it's all rap/hip-hop now. And rock is nowhere to be found. I don't think I heard anyone listening to rock as I was walking around. I might have heard it playing out of some cars, but even the cars, it's mostly rap/hip-hop or EDM. It's so weird to me that rock is that diminished, I thought there would always be rock. It makes me think back, and when I was a kid, in my teens and early 20s, rock was still a thing. It shared more and more space with rap/hip-hop, but it was definitely still around.

Also, people around my age still listened to the classic rock acts when I was a kid too. It was still cool to listen to Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, the Beatles (at least the later, trippier stuff), AC/DC, The Who, and so on. I just feel like music had a longer shelf life when I was younger. Maybe it's that the Internet wasn't as big a part of our lives, and so tastes and trends didn't change as quickly as they do now.

Of course I didn't expect things to stay the same as they were when I was a kid forever, but I also didn't expect them to change so completely and drastically. Not that I'm trying to be the culture police, the kids can listen to whatever they want (even if I don't personally care for it or see the appeal of it, and miss the way things used to be). But it definitely is strange to not recognize the cultural landscape at all.

Last edited:
I mean, I'm not really sure if it's mumble rap at all. Like I said it could be that "drill" or whatever it's called, or something else entirely. But it's all hip hop, and it's all the new stuff. It's not the 2000s rap artists, and I don't think it's even the 2010s artists either. And rock is nowhere to be found. I don't think I heard anyone listening to rock as I was walking around. I might have heard it playing out of some cars, but even the cars, it's mostly hip hop or EDM. It's so weird to me that rock is that diminished, I thought there would always be rock. It makes me think back, and when I was a kid, in my teens and 20s, rock was still a thing. It shared more and more space with hip hop, but it was definitely still around.

Of course I didn't expect things to stay the same as they were when I was a kid forever, but I also didn't expect them to change so completely and drastically. Not that I'm trying to be the culture police, the kids can listen to whatever they want (even if I don't personally care for it). But it definitely is strange to not recognize the cultural landscape at all.
I think standard guitar based rock is going the way of Soul or R&B. It no longer has any sense of rebellion to it (and hasn't for decades). It's going to become more niche, or a throwback genre.

On the other hand the kids who like to annoy everyone with their music aren't going to be listening to rock.

I think standard guitar based rock is going the way of soul or R&B. It no longer has the same cultural relevance or any sense of rebellion to it (and hasn't for decades). It's going to become niche, like throwback genres, or drum 'n bass.

I think you're right that it's going the way of past genres like soul and R&B, or even jazz. People these days don't have a reason to be nostalgic for things that were already not around as much when they were younger. As time goes on, it seems more kids will have grown up with rap/hip-hop, EDM, pop music, or something else, so they don't have the same connection with rock that my generation and the past couple of generations had with it, or fond memories or feelings attached to it, and without those feelings, they won't find it as meaningful.

And that's OK if rock becomes niche. Something doesn't need to be popular to be good and enjoyable, things can still be enjoyed even if they aren't "the big thing" anymore. I can listen to whatever I want in my own space and pretend it's the '90s forever if I wanted to. That's one nice thing about the Internet, it makes it so that things that aren't current anymore, can easily be looked up and enjoyed at any time.

I do think that rock has a timeless "cool factor" that other, newer genres don't really have, though. And as far as rebellion, I don't know...I think a lot of the '90s music still has teeth, and a lot of music from before that still has energy, if not a rebellious bite. And even some of that still does - like Ozzy Osbourne for instance, it still sounds hard. Same with the Clash...old school punk still sounds rebellious and tough.

Meanwhile, I certainly don't see how the modern rap/hip-hop replaced rock as being rebellious...they don't talk about following the rules of doing your homework, going to bed on time, and being nice and getting along, but they do talk about following the rules of society, like getting as much money, sex, status, and power as possible, by any means necessary, because that's all that life's about and that's what determines your value as a person instead of your character or anything else, all that "survival of the fittest", "cold world" Darwinian cutthroat competition mentality. I know I've said this before, but I feel like mainstream hip hop is basically corporate, or even Republican (not that there's much difference between the parties, they're just two different faces of The Money Party), to the point that if they were smart, they should almost use it to win the kids over. I feel like it IS "the system" or "the machine".

On the other hand the kids who like to annoy everyone with their music are probably going to be listening to rock.

How so? In like a "hipster" way, like "I like this thing just because no one else likes it/no one else has heard of it" kind of contrarian way?

Last edited:
How so? In like a "hipster" way, like "I like this thing just because no one else likes it/no one else has heard of it" kind of contrarian way?
I meant to say 'aren't'. The kids that blare their music out in public aren't going to be listening to Led Zeppelin, REM, Arctic Monkeys, etc.

Latest posts

Back