why is saying hello so difficult?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

redwood

I find that people find it so difficult to make eye contact and say hello... I am wondering why that is... Can I get everone's opinion?

Thanks!

I Guss cos some ppl are not that confident.

I have no trouble talking normally.

Because either they are too busy or to afraid to get involved with anyone else Its a reason most of us dont I know its why I dont ....but to a select few and Sometimes its just because that person has nothing to do with your daily life so its kind of awkward they say to themselves
"That persons a total stranger what will they think?"

I agree Hijacc, "that person has nothing to do with your daily life", but if they introduced themselves they could be... Sometimes I think they just don't want to put in the effort at times...

redwood said:
I agree Hijacc, "that person has nothing to do with your daily life", but if they introduced themselves they could be... Sometimes I think they just don't want to put in the effort at times...
Exactly most people don't want to put up the effort people have this weird illusion that life's about living your life and not bothering with other people however this is not the case we are supposed to socialize interact and communicate....its not like its supposed to be...everyones thoughts have been twisted we are on a path that will lead us to anguish and lonliness :( its sad but oh so true.

Personally, I have problems with eye contact and talking to "strangers" due to social phobia. But when I try to think why it's so hard, I'm not sure at all.

For people without any social anxiety issues, perhaps it is just a busy life or not wanting to impose on someone else's time or something

OhDear said:
Personally, I have problems with eye contact and talking to "strangers" due to social phobia. But when I try to think why it's so hard, I'm not sure at all.

That would be it for me also.

The why of that would just be a guess. Fear of rejection, a concern that the person, for their own reasons may prefer that i just didn't bother them.

Realizing my own lack of social ability and knowing that i may come across as a clod.

Safer not to approach them.

Because people look at you like a freak as soon as you show them any type of common courtesy or friendliness these days. It's sad, but this is what society has come to. A little exaggeration, but they're probably more comfortable with the idea of being mugged.

I can't even count the times I've seen people totally alone at school and have just wanted to sit down and try striking up a conversation with them. I guess thats more or less because sometimes it'd just be nice to have somebody to talk to. Every time I keep on walking though, and I think its more or less because I really don't know what to say after the 'Hi'. I think that, and the mugging thing that everybody else has mentioned kind of plays a big role in it. Saying 'hi' is difficult, but keeping the conversation going beyond that is what seems impossible, or at least what kind of freaks me out.

^^ true that. i find it easy while i walk past someone and say hi because there is no need for further conversation as we both continue walking our separate ways. i live in a small town so all the locals are good with being able to say hi to without any discomfort. tho you go to a city and no one wants to know anyone, there is so many people yet you feel so alone.

Think about it. That person you want to say hi to might have had a really bad day, and a simple hi might lighten it up. Throw in a small conversation, and maybe a cheesy joke, and you might get that person to smile! That could mean a lot to him/her. And you'll boost your self-confidence as well

You don't have anything to lose. If you somehow get rejected, which I don't think you will, you never knew the person anyway, so it doesn't matter ^^

Latest posts

Back