General Despair

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's that time again, where I hit another low and fall into that dark swirling black hole of depression. All I do is eat junk food to fill the void and watch mindless television and cry. All I really want to do is socialize, make friends, be active but because I am so alone I just resort to smothering the feelings of despair with food and self-hate.

How do you do it? How do you get out of the despair? How do you meet people that actually enjoy being around you and enjoy your company? Even in the chat rooms I feel completely alone and unwanted. My feelings of self-hate and disappointment eats up any happiness I might momentarily have. I am just miserable in my own shell and not even medication and therapy seems to be helping.

I know exactly what you mean, I am where you are right now in this moment, and have been for a while. I wish I had an answer to your question. One needs a little place of peace to start rebuilding one's life, but I don't know where you can find that.
I think the first step is to throw the junk food out of the window, turn off the TV and start from there, both (junk food & TV) are the doorways to deeper depression.

The second is to find some way to like yourself even a little bit and dwell on that like a mantra, without that you can't really demand of yourself to go outside and face the world, as you say yourself the self defeating thoughts poison all that happens to you.

It is only up to you to understand that your depressive thoughts are not yourself, and try to tell to each of them, one by one: "screw you" each time they throw at you a negative comment.
It takes time but after a while they do shut up.

That's hard to get out of...really hard. Sometimes you just gotta do something you enjoy or just cheer yourself up.

I just went through it myself. The only thing that brought me out of it was a little good luck. I still feel it, but not as much.

You could try stuff like exercise, positive thinking and doing things you enjoy. If you can find a way to be even a little happier, it will be easier to deal with your problems and be happy.

Things like junk food and TV might be good distractions for a while, but sooner or later they'll either become meaningless or they'll become part of the problem. Is there anything else you like doing that will help you feel better?

I don't know why you feel unwanted, but I know how it feels to be so completely alone. I'm sorry you're going through this. As far as I'm concerned, you are wanted here.

I feel literally no motivation to do anything, even waking up is a chore. So trying to do positive things feels like it takes twice the energy

Just be patience. In the mean time, just make sure you are thinking positively. The longer you're not thinking positive , the longer you will not think positive. Start now! :) It's same as, if you eat delicious meal everyday, eventually you won't want to eat the lower range meal.

My advice, please start thinking positively now, there's still time. Distract yourself with games or your hobbies. No one owe us anything, so don't expect people to come to us and accompany us. If you want company, you got to put an effort to get it. ;)

people say that starting to go to the gym and get into a regular exercise routine helps a lot.. personally, the thought of getting up and going to the gym makes me want to vomit... but I guess I will be starting the gym today to see if I can get out of my funk. I will however, put it off til the very last min.

I think you should talk to people that will listen to you.. try things you enjoy...and try to think of one positive thing a day. Make small things your goals.. and you will come out of the funk.

Good luck.

KIller_Cuteness said:
I feel literally no motivation to do anything, even waking up is a chore. So trying to do positive things feels like it takes twice the energy

Is there anything you like doing ?
Hobbies ?
Things you did years ago ?

KIller_Cuteness said:

I find motivation hard to come by too, I try to put whatever it is holding me back out of mind by occupying myself and looking forward to something, big or small it doesn't matter. If you can learn to do this, it's a good way to deal with most things.

9006 said:
KIller_Cuteness said:

I find motivation hard to come by too, I try to put whatever it is holding me back out of mind by occupying myself and looking forward to something, big or small it doesn't matter. If you can learn to do this, it's a good way to deal with most things.
[/quote

Been there myself, K_C, I know depression intimately and depression is non-movement.....so it's self perpetuating....one just seems to wallow in it. I know that, I've done it and am still prone to it.
Start small, consciously choose an action to accomplish.....something realistically doable, and carry it out to completion....the very act of deliberately accomplishing something is motion, and it's motion that starts the momentum that leads up and out of the limbo of depression.

Latest posts

Back