That "weird" kid in high school.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrannySmith111

Reaction score
You guys ever feel this way? There's always that one kid in class who's really smart and all, thinks outside the box and in very different/interesting ways. Everyone else might think he's weird and laugh.

For example, my Algebra II class. This kid in my class who doesn't talk much with other people. Doesn't really "fit in" with kids from what I know. He came up to the board and solved a math problem using a different method. Nobody knew what the heck he was doing. They all gave him weird looks and some started laughing.

I'm just looking at him, looking at everyone else. Watching all the "normal" or "cool" kids just giggle at him and give him weird looks. On the inside I'm just thinking "These kids may be laughing at him now, but in 10 years, I bet he's gonna go so much further in life then all of them."

What do you guys think? It's just so interesting to think that while these kids may be laughing at him right now, in 5-10 years, everything will be different.

Actually you never know what could happen. Those "cool or normal" kids could be very successful, this "weird" kid could not. Not to take this down a dark path but that so called "weird" kid could also end up doing something tragic because of being laughed at all the time. You hear about it on the news at an eerie regular basis anymore.

It's all about maturity and social level in school, these guys that were laughing at him will get to his level eventually; later rather than sooner in this case.

I loved the weird kids as much as I did the more popular ones. People of all kinds interested me and still do. I never shunned them, always said hello and smiled. I wish people could believe in themselves so much that things like this would just roll off their backs because they KNOW how awesome they are. Self-confidence can make someone bully-proof if these great people could just reach inside and grab hold of that source of strength.

GrannySmith111 said:
You guys ever feel this way? There's always that one kid in class who's really smart and all, thinks outside the box and in very different/interesting ways. Everyone else might think he's weird and laugh.

For example, my Algebra II class. This kid in my class who doesn't talk much with other people. Doesn't really "fit in" with kids from what I know. He came up to the board and solved a math problem using a different method. Nobody knew what the heck he was doing. They all gave him weird looks and some started laughing.

I'm just looking at him, looking at everyone else. Watching all the "normal" or "cool" kids just giggle at him and give him weird looks. On the inside I'm just thinking "These kids may be laughing at him now, but in 10 years, I bet he's gonna go so much further in life then all of them."

What do you guys think? It's just so interesting to think that while these kids may be laughing at him right now, in 5-10 years, everything will be different.

Well you often talk about your friends letting you down, why not get chatting to him see what he's like. Sounds like he could do with someone on his side (plus he might do your homework for you ;) )

GrannySmith111 said:

Could be true. At the end of the day, your school days don't last very long - I'm sure that guy will live a happy/ comfortable life and find a girl who wants the same. I'm sure some of those kids that laugh at him will achieve nothing, mature late. Quite often people don't make their real friends until their out working. :)

A lifetime ago, I was one of those weird kids (not like the guy in your class, though...I was the brooding type, developing my misanthropy). Sci-Fi has a point, but frankly I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years or so one of the kids who laughed at him in class ends up working for him. Career success today demands brainwork more than muscle; in my experience, bullies aren't usually the sharpest tools in the workshop. Of those kids laughing at him, in 10 years a few of them will have been married & divorced at least once, trapped in soulless dead-end jobs, maybe a few of them having to pay alimony. If your weird boy genius plays his cards right, he'll end up with his own company, bossing a few low-ranking managers around, & in the evenings he'll go home to a nice place in one of the better parts of town.

A lifetime ago for me too, I was one of those weird kids. A high school freshman just arrived from Hong Kong where I grew up. First time living in "my" country and discovering for the first time what it was like to be a foreigner.......an irony that's still ricocheting around, never really resolved.

Lippy_Kid said:
GrannySmith111 said:

Well you often talk about your friends letting you down, why not get chatting to him see what he's like. Sounds like he could do with someone on his side (plus he might do your homework for you ;) )

I've said hi to him a couple times but that's all. He's not really the type of person that talks a lot.

I felt I was sometimes in this category but I had enough friends to make me look somewhat normal.

There were some 'weird' kids who I tried to get along with, but they were way too sensitive, there was a heavy kid who had eczema and his parents divorced, I tried to buddy up with him, we would eventually start making jokes and I made a gay joke towards him, this kind of thing was common play with 15 year olds, but it really hit a nerve with him and he stopped talking to me, weird.

SarcasticJuan said:
There were some 'weird' kids who I tried to get along with, but they were way too sensitive, there was a heavy kid who had eczema and his parents divorced, I tried to buddy up with him, we would eventually start making jokes and I made a gay joke towards him, this kind of thing was common play with 15 year olds, but it really hit a nerve with him and he stopped talking to me, weird.

Maybe he was gay and that's why he responded that way.

Latest posts

Back