Do even loners have FaceBook?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vladimir Putin

Reaction score
I saw a movie where a bullied kid that had no friends and ate lunch at school alone had FaceBook. Is this how the world works today? Even people who don't even have anyone to say Hi to uses FaceBook?

I have Facebook, last updated, ooooo a few months ago. To busy to tell everyone every move I make, or to add people on as 'friends' I may know through someones 3rd cousin who danced with someone elses ex at a wedding once or something.

Facebook will die very soon, knowing that a hype won’t last longer than 7 years. I am a loner in my last year of high school, and I don’t have Facebook. I really hate Mark Zuckerberg. This is what he wrote to this friend a few years ago when Facebook was only available for Harvard.
Zuckerberg: Yeah so if you ever need info about anyone at Harvard
Zuckerberg: Just ask.
Zuckerberg: I have over 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses, SNS
[Redacted Friend's Name]: What? How'd you manage that one?
Zuckerberg: People just submitted it.
Zuckerberg: I don't know why.
Zuckerberg: They "trust me"
Zuckerberg: Dumb f*cks.
He is the one that ran away with all the money, and is taking over your life online. Remember that when you upload a picture on the site of Facebook, that it’s the possession of them. They are now starting with putting pictures from all people in a huge database…. That will go further and further, it started with a small thing, and another small thing, that will end up in a huge big problem of no privacy. Facebook reminds me too the holocaust.

It's usually the last resort for a loner to open a Facebook account, if everything else fails then why not try facebook too? Although I do agree that fb has become more of a parade of over-hyped lives and stupid comments, it can also connect you with new people, or even people from your past. I opened a facebook account to reconnect with some people from my past, whom i lost track of and it turns out that some of them really missed me and we are now hanging out together in real life again.
My point is, despite all of its flaws, facebook is a powerful social network that can make lonely people less lonely (or completely screw them up, depends on how you see it :p )

^ I'm sure it can be good as long as you don't get into some kind of Friend-grab(tm) trying to gain as many friends as possible (as Facebook seems to push for)

My wife uses it to stay in contact and organise things with friends, mostly those she actually meets up with, or to keep in contact with those abroad she can't.

Wookz said:
Facebook will die very soon, knowing that a hype won’t last longer than 7 years.
How true is that? I keep hearing it, but those that say it don't have FB. Maybe it makes them more objective and comparing it to MySpace, or perhaps subjective cause they don't have an account themselves.

Wookz said:
I am a loner in my last year of high school, and I don’t have Facebook.
Must be strange, I am older so people just assume I have something to hide.

Wookz said:
I really hate Mark Zuckerberg. This is what he wrote to this friend a few years ago when Facebook was only available for Harvard.
Zuckerberg: Yeah so if you ever need info about anyone at Harvard
Zuckerberg: Just ask.
Zuckerberg: I have over 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses, SNS
[Redacted Friend's Name]: What? How'd you manage that one?
Zuckerberg: People just submitted it.
Zuckerberg: I don't know why.
Zuckerberg: They "trust me"
Zuckerberg: Dumb f*cks.
He is the one that ran away with all the money, and is taking over your life online. Remember that when you upload a picture on the site of Facebook, that it’s the possession of them. They are now starting with putting pictures from all people in a huge database…. That will go further and further, it started with a small thing, and another small thing, that will end up in a huge big problem of no privacy. Facebook reminds me too the holocaust.

Problem is, people do accept it. Like how people accept bein tracked by cell pones, cause you have no say in the matter. The worst part of FaceBook is that it steals not only your past, but your future as well. In the olden days you left your friends, or started a new job to change your identity. And you met a girl at the park or something. In the post FB era you don't meet girls at the park. And you can't change your life even if you leave the continet.

Seeker said:
It's usually the last resort for a loner to open a Facebook account, if everything else fails then why not try facebook too? Although I do agree that fb has become more of a parade of over-hyped lives and stupid comments, it can also connect you with new people, or even people from your past. I opened a facebook account to reconnect with some people from my past, whom i lost track of and it turns out that some of them really missed me and we are now hanging out together in real life again.
My point is, despite all of its flaws, facebook is a powerful social network that can make lonely people less lonely (or completely screw them up, depends on how you see it :p )
I have read a few weeks ago in a Dutch newspaper, that Facebook makes you feel more lonely. Because people will post all their happy moments on it, which is gonna make you feel like you do never something cool. But yea, it's pretty good to stay in touch with old friends...

Edward W said:
^ I'm sure it can be good as long as you don't get into some kind of Friend-grab(tm) trying to gain as many friends as possible (as Facebook seems to push for)

My wife uses it to stay in contact and organise things with friends, mostly those she actually meets up with, or to keep in contact with those abroad she can't.
Those "Friend-grabbers" are only teenagers I think. I know actually people from my school that say to each other: “I am cooler than you; because I got more likes on my display photo….” Facebook has put a maximum limit to friends that you can gain, which is 5k, but you can gain unlimited followers. But I think that Facebook has a good system to provide people that just add random people, you will get blocked for 7 days, than 14 days and 30 days for sending friend requests if someone doesn’t accepts you and clicks on the “no” when they ask you if you know the person that sent you a friend request.

I run a lottery syndicate so I need it for that.
And it's somewhere I can post my photo's.

I've not had Facebook in 3 years and have no intention of using it ever again.

Well I have a Facebook. Mostly for school related things but I also carry on group conversations with the few people that I do. I mean, some of the more popular kids I know, don't have Facebook. Others have like, 2,000+ "friends". I don't know if it says anything about social status at this point.

I actually deactivated my account for a while, but I reactivated it because it helped me reach out to someone I hadn't connected with in a while. I didn't have his new e-mail or new phone number, but I found him on FB. Also, some people use it like texting, to ease into a conversation before picking up the phone.

When I was on hiatus, I felt good not knowing the business of people who didn't really touch my life. But at the same time, after a while, I felt like I was missing out on something. It might be the same reason why people watch the news even if the event is happening far away from their home town. There's no direct effect, but there's still some sort of connection.

I used to, but I shut down my account because I found myself getting annoyed with everyone's shenanigans. It's my fault though, for adding people that I knew. Ugh. -_-

I was absolutely happy without it for the last two or three years. Unfortunately, I had to open a new account recently, and feel out of place again :)

I don't know about other people and Facebook, but this is about me and Facebook.
Had Facebook about three years ago, until I started trying to become astray (Is this the proper word?) of people. So I deleted it, trying to make myself appear as not being connected and all. And for me, it worked. Its not only because of Facebook, but it was a part of the path of cutting ties with regular social relationships, meaning friendships, and intimate (BF/GF stuff) availability.
So not having a Facebook keeps me from knowing about parties and being invited to them, as well as other social events.
So I, kinda loner, do not have Facebook. I don't know about other loners, but I would think that those who seek social relationships will have it, as its maybe one of the most efficient ways to be connected to people (You know how I mean it).

Mr.YellowCat said:
I don't know about other people and Facebook, but this is about me and Facebook.
Had Facebook about three years ago, until I started trying to become astray (Is this the proper word?) of people. So I deleted it, trying to make myself appear as not being connected and all. And for me, it worked. Its not only because of Facebook, but it was a part of the path of cutting ties with regular social relationships, meaning friendships, and intimate (BF/GF stuff) availability.
So not having a Facebook keeps me from knowing about parties and being invited to them, as well as other social events.
So I, kinda loner, do not have Facebook. I don't know about other loners, but I would think that those who seek social relationships will have it, as its maybe one of the most efficient ways to be connected to people (You know how I mean it).

everybody seems to be 'in relationships' on there which doesn't help.
I sometimes want to put 'in a relationship with F**KING NOBODY' on mine but what would be the point ?

Triple Bogey said:
Mr.YellowCat said:

everybody seems to be 'in relationships' on there which doesn't help.
I sometimes want to put 'in a relationship with F**KING NOBODY' on mine but what would be the point ?

I´d like to give you some great advice or something but I do not have it:/ I´m sorry for being unable to help you anyhow.
It seems like you feel bad, based on the anger you displayed in your reply. I´m sorry you feel that way. I´m sorry I´m powerless, not being able to help you.
Just maybe. Maybe. You can put relationship status to something less angry, something like: "loner until proven otherwise". Not to use curse words in it...And I know you were just joking. This is just in case you were not and really want to put such a status in there. And if it will make you feel better, well.....

Latest posts

Back