kids

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penny143

Reaction score
My biggest fear in leaving my "husband" is that no one will want me because I "come with baggage" as they say..so I would like to honestly know if any of you would considering dating someone who has kids.
If you say yes, do you think it would bother you later on in the long run?

It all depends. For one thing, kids are little people and are not guaranteed to like a new 'daddy' invading the place. Also a woman with kids can have much more baggage than just the kids themselves, ie the rest of the family who may feel similarly.

And when the needs of children eat up the free time of the mother it may be difficult for me personally to be mature about it.

And anyway, is your marriage that bad?

how old are your kids? can you wait till they're 18 and out of the house?

I'm just wondering becuase my parents got divorced when i was 13, and i just really hated it, all the visitation schedules and crap, it was a lot moe than i wanted to deal with,

Why are you considering leaving your husband

Well my son is only 2 yrs old so waiting until he turns 18 would mean a lot of miserable years ahead for me. I'm only 23 but we've been together almost 8 years now so we've practically grown up together and just plain been through a lot. Technically we're not married and I could leave him any time I want but I feel guilty every time I try and gather up the courage to do so. I feel responsible for him because he doesn't really have family here. His grandparents who were his legal guardians passed away about 3 years ago, his dad passed away too, and his mom is up in AK. Everytime I tell him I'm leaving him he gives me a guilt trip about how he has nowhere to go and that I'm taking him away from our son. The thing is that I don't know if I even love him anymore. He's cheated on me, made me feel like dirt, comes home at whatever time he pleases, LIES about everything, puts his friends ahead of me, and is slowly becoming an alcoholic. My father was an alcoholic and I vowed I would never be with a man like that, but yet here I am. There's so many things wrong with this relationship, but like I said, I'm worried that no other man would want me because a) I feel I am unattractive and b) I have a child. Yes I know, I should've left his ass a long time ago but I am afraid to be alone.

oh wow, I'm really sorry, it's really unfortunate that he has cheated on you, if he hasn't been l;oyal in the relationship, then you shouldn't feel guilty for leaving him, especially if he doesn't feel guitly about cheating on you. You're still pretty young, and if your son is also quite young, so I'm sure he wouldn't remeber. whats his name?

.. I'm not an expert on rleationships, I've never even had a serious one before.

penny143 said:
My biggest fear in leaving my "husband" is that no one will want me because I "come with baggage" as they say..so I would like to honestly know if any of you would considering dating someone who has kids.

i have a neighbor down the block...I think he is a great guy. the woman he's been with for years had 3 kids of her own...the father of those children raped one of the boys and is on the run...
anyway, so they got together and had 2 more...so in total 5. Then couple of years ago she ran over her oldest son ..Steven. I think she has a website on MySpace for him. So John used to say that his son died.
It really doesnt metter. The man/woman have to be confident enough and be ready for kids. It takes a grown up..to do that.
did u ever read "the color of water?"
The guy that married the woman with her kids used to say "we have enough for a baseball team " or somth.

penny143 said:
Well my son is only 2 yrs old so waiting until he turns 18 would mean a lot of miserable years ahead for me. I'm only 23 but we've been together almost 8 years now so we've practically grown up together and just plain been through a lot. Technically we're not married and I could leave him any time I want but I feel guilty every time I try and gather up the courage to do so. I feel responsible for him because he doesn't really have family here. His grandparents who were his legal guardians passed away about 3 years ago, his dad passed away too, and his mom is up in AK. Everytime I tell him I'm leaving him he gives me a guilt trip about how he has nowhere to go and that I'm taking him away from our son. The thing is that I don't know if I even love him anymore. He's cheated on me, made me feel like dirt, comes home at whatever time he pleases, LIES about everything, puts his friends ahead of me, and is slowly becoming an alcoholic. My father was an alcoholic and I vowed I would never be with a man like that, but yet here I am. There's so many things wrong with this relationship, but like I said, I'm worried that no other man would want me because a) I feel I am unattractive and b) I have a child. Yes I know, I should've left his ass a long time ago but I am afraid to be alone.
1 child is a baggage?how about 3 or 6?

u know my father was like that. My mother tried to divorce him 6 times lol...but everytime she tried he made her feel guilty the same way..he would start crying..fake tears of course..he was lieing. Ur story reminds me exactly of my father...he was also drinking...till he almost chocked her...literally. Then like year after they divorced she had a boyfriend. This guy grew up in a small town,was so simple and so smooth ,never screamed, did everything,was cute lol... He had no kids ..just us. They arent together anymore .Its been 10 years since the last time i saw him. To this day I miss him. And only recently when I was talking about him to my mother again, she said he suffered from depression. I doubt it though. He was prolly more diagnosed with it.
Strange thing is that i think i love my father but i never missed him in my life.

I think you should leave him. Relationships with alcoholics dont get better with time. Your son still doesnt know whats going on. Later,in couple of years, might be too late ,if ur husb starts telling ur son that mommy wants to take him away from daddy. I doubt its gonna get any better ur son will be growing up looking at him and will suffer. I wish my mother dumped my father back in college. I would have been less traumatized.

Your still young I think if you find like a single father with kids and you pair up together it wouldnt be so bad. I would do that.

I broke up with one guy 2 years ago..instantly..when to my question why he wanted to kill me he answered :"its not me, honey, its vodka"..lol.. memories of my father came over me lol...It was over.

Cheating is unacceptable, no matter what excuse he have. Sounds like he is treating you very unfairly. And he doesn't sound like he's much of a father either. At this time you really have to think about what's best for your children. I know leaving him is such a huge step, and you'd be in for a very tough time, but if it is like you describe, it must be done. Don't feel guilty. He's a grown up man and he's fully capable of taking care of himself. If you absolutely can't leave him, you must comfront him, and tell him about his problems, and that you wont tolerate it anymore.

Do you have anyone that can help you with this if you decide to leave him? Like your mother, or some good friends?

Finding a new man shouldn't be your biggest problem at this moment, but I don't think you should worry about that. Sure, you'd be more popular as a single girl without kids, but you're only 23. A young (and probably attractive!) mother should't have any problem finding interested men.

penny143 said:
..so I would like to honestly know if any of you would considering dating someone who has kids.

I imagine so, since i have dated three people that have had kids. I can understand the concern but it doesn't look like as big of a handicap as single parents often fear. Sure it adds another dimension. Things like finding a babysitter if you want to go off and do something. Still i have never seen anyone run off in horror when a kid is mentioned. No doubt it would be a problem to a few but not to nearly as many as you seem to fear.

On another subject, you do not have to tolerate cheating nor all the games that go along with it.

I have a son also and met men that don't mind 1 child at all.
There are so many single fathers out these oh my god. In many cases courts take children away from a "unfit" mother and had over custedy to the father.
I would date a guy with a child also..maybe one..cause I couldn't handle more crazy kids running around lol

I would happily go out with a woman with children.

As a divorced Dad of three I am used to them, but even Moms with "baggage" are picky these days it seems. I have been alone for 13 months and I hate it. I feel I will die alone and miserable. Life really is shitty, personally and financially.

penny143 said:

My ex-girlfriend had four children from two different marriages.

Although it was difficult sometimes to coordinate schedules, it wasn't impossible.

JustLost said:
wooooooowwww

i wanted to ask u couple more questions...but i wont :(

Hi Penny. I'm replying to your post to let you know I understand your situation. I left my first husband. I had 3 children with him. My oldest was 6 and my youngest was 2. I met my current husband who is 5 years younger than me. My children bonded quite well with him at first and he with them. However, he had never been married or had children before. It has basically turned into a disaster. I'm also on the verge of leaving this wonderful hubby, for alot of the same reasons you are. We've been married for 11 years. I would honestly consider being with someone else again if I had kids, but I would definitely make sure he had some understanding of what it means to be a parent. Your child is still very young and would probably bond well with someone new, but the question is how will your new love interest bond with him? I'm sure it's quite safe to move forward Penny, but be prepared to be picky about who you let into your heart. I hope this helps even a little bit. And truly good luck in all that you decide.

Thank you all for your replies.
The more I think about it, the more determined I am to leave him. I feel for my son because I know he is the one who is going to suffer the most in all this, but I have his best interest at heart so I'm sure he'll understand someday. I think worrying about no other man wanting me was just me using that as an excuse to stay with him..if I stay single for the rest of my life, it won't be the worst thing. I'll survive. As long as my son is happy and healthy, then that's pretty much all I need. So right now I am going to focus on finding a job and just save up what I can so that I can find my own place and finally say goodbye to him. It's going to be hard, and even thinking about that day has me feeling very anxious right now, but I know it's something I have to do. And I must go cry now.

Penny, there is no way you will be alone for the rest of ur life...
Also thinking about living alone for the 1st time is sometimes a scare feeling but after a while u kinda like ur freedom..no one is around to tell u what to do or expect u to cook dinner when ur tired after 12 hours work day or otherwise they will get mad and wont talk.. Its just so much lessss stressful. U wont be single dont worry. You have just been with him i think like for ever so this seems like the end of the world. And if u try hard anough to get some education or a degree you might wind up very well off on ur own.

JustLost said:
Incognita said:
JustLost said:
wooooooowwww

i wanted to ask u couple more questions...but i wont :(

That makes it a bit difficult to provide an answer. :)

well, i was just curious...why were u with her in the 1st place, how long and why broke up...

....and maybe why not tell the whole story?
This kind of relationships always puzzzzzzzled me ....

As tyra banks says ,looking pretty in her comfy couch ,...:" Sooo, tell us about it"

Incognita said:
well, i was just curious...why were u with her in the 1st place, how long and why broke up...

....and maybe why not tell the whole story?
This kind of relationships always puzzzzzzzled me ....

As tyra banks says ,looking pretty in her comfy couch ,...:" Sooo, tell us about it"

No problem Tyra...uh...Incognita. :)

I met her on a BBS that a friend and I ran. For those of you too young to remember, a BBS (Bulletin Board Service) was a pre-internet message board. You called in with a 1200 baud modem and could post messages and reply. We started talking one day and eventually ended up meeting...and falling in love.

The fact that she had kids didn't even phase me. I liked her too much to let it get in the way. They were all great, not a brat in the bunch and I got along with all of them.

We talked about living together, getting married, etc, but for some reason things never materialized. It was no one's fault, we were just big procrastinators. :)

Things came to a halt when one evening a man with a ladder broke into her upstairs bedroom while she was home alone. I won't go into detail but he basically did terrible things for hours and left her for dead. Amazingly, she lived.

After that happened, I guess she decided she wanted to start her life over fresh. This didn't include me and she stopped returning my phonecalls. I think perhaps she simply couldn't deal with a relationship at that point. I understand why she had to let me go but I was still devastated. We were together for 6 years.

Anyway, there's my tragic tale...and one of the many reasons why I'm a very sad person.

Maybe I should have started a different thread. I hope I didn't derail this one too much.

Latest posts

Back