Body Dysmorphic Disorder

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman1978

Reaction score
I'm curious, does anyone here suffer from Body Dysmorphic Disorder? Have you been, or are you currently being treated for it?

My doctor doesn't want to put BDD into my medical records since she says it could have an effect on me being able to get better insurance rates in the future.

For the record, I think you suffer from it.

I've been diagnosed with it, but I'm not sure how accurate it is.

khaoz_ferox said:
Kk. Is that to an extreme degree?

It varies. Some people are more high functioning than others. In cases of Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD), the person believes they are ugly, and these feelings have an impact on their day to day life. Some people are able to function, hold down a job, etc., while others are confined to their homes.

I think I suffer from it. I don't like my photograph taken and I don't even like seeing my reflection. I avoid mirrors unless I have to.

I think in general normal people often are critical of thier own looks when they appear perfectly fine to everyone else.

Personally I'm sometimes surprised when I see myself compared to my internal image of me. I think I'm ok-ish, could certainly be better but sometimes I'm like, 'Hey you!' :D

When I think back about how many times people have told me I was ugly and that only someone who's desperate would ever go out with me, I sometimes wonder if it's caused me to develop PTSD. I also have to wonder about people who have been bullied, if the years of emotional abuse can cause them to develop PTSD.

this woman said to me last year 'have you tried a dating site for ugly people ?'
She wasn't joking either.

Triple Bogey said:
this woman said to me last year 'have you tried a dating site for ugly people ?'

Yeah, I can remember a similar comment made at me. Emotional scars run deep. People often don't realize that hurtful remarks can do permanent damage to someone's self-esteem, which makes them ignorant, immature, and inconsiderate. If they do realize the damage they're causing, then they're sadistic and cruel.

People are ruthless and disgusting when it comes to looks, honestly. I can't believe what some of you have had said to you. Shame on this world. :/

I've struggled with BDD since middle school. I used to cry myself to sleep at how ugly I thought I was, and am never satisfied with what I see in the mirror. I blame it on society more than my mentality, haha.

Pike Queen said:
People are ruthless and disgusting when it comes to looks, honestly. I can't believe what some of you have had said to you. Shame on this world. :/

I've struggled with BDD since middle school. I used to cry myself to sleep at how ugly I thought I was, and am never satisfied with what I see in the mirror. I blame it on society more than my mentality, haha.

I've read that up to 2% of the country suffers from BDD, and that it's gotten worse in the past ten years. From the research I've done online, it would seem that the UK is ahead of everyone else in terms of research and treatment, but I think statistically it's probably more common in the US than anywhere else.

I can remember when I lived overseas that I never had these issues. It wasn't until we moved back to the US that it started. Hmm, maybe I should just move back to Turkey?

Iceman1978 said:
Triple Bogey said:

Yeah, I can remember a similar comment made at me. Emotional scars run deep. People often don't realize that hurtful remarks can do permanent damage to someone's self-esteem, which makes them ignorant, immature, and inconsiderate. If they do realize the damage they're causing, then they're sadistic and cruel.

A couple of years ago while walking home after work I passed this group of girls, and what must have been the Queen Bee looked right at me and said "eww that guy's disgusting!" The others nodded in agreement. It was getting dark.. they might not have seen me that clearly... right?:(

I've had my fair share of comments as well. I took up bodybuilding and it helped a lot. But then I started to get BDD with my appearance as a result. Over critical and mever satisfied. I ended up being bigger than I thought I was. An old friend told me it was BDD. First time I ever heard the term. Before that phase, I dealt with it with aggression. I've become cold and bitter. Bodybuilding relieved me a good deal. Now, due to an accident. .. I can never train or get as big as I ever used to... and dealing with this aggressively again. I've got into trouble and its also cost me my marriage. And now I'm here

rdor, Or they were just a group of nasty, shallow, *itches.

Parabellum, Were you ever in therapy to help you with BDD?

Well, not particularly. I saw a doc but didn't mention the root cause of the current behavior. I found it embarrassing. Mostly because of her acquaintanceship with my now ex wife. She ended up medicating me for GAD.

Granted, other things we're in play with me at the time but BDD was and is still a major player.

For me the symptoms come and go. There are times when I'm ok with my appearance so long as I don't think about it. Then there are times when it's hard for me to leave the house, and the sense of depression that I have makes me nauseated.

Iceman1978 said:
My doctor doesn't want to put BDD into my medical records since she says it could have an effect on me being able to get better insurance rates in the future.

You need a new doctor.
That's like saying he doesn't want to put "depression" or "ADHD" into your medical records. Unethical. HIGHLY unethical. If he thinks you have it, he should have sent you to a qualified mental health professional - not tried to hide something from your future insurance company.
Am I the only one thinks his doc is a nutter?? o_O

Eve, I'm not convinced that I have BDD to begin with. My belief is that I really am ugly. Right now I'm on 150mg of Sertraline (generic Zoloft) and it has helped tremendously, so at least it's not as debilitating as it used to be.

Now, OCD on the other hand, yeah..I think I've got a bit of that. Then again, some people would refer to it as being neat and organized.

Latest posts

Back