People make me hate veterans day

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarvingZombie

Reaction score
Preface : To the soldiers , I hate the day not the service you did.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is Veterans day in the US , a day I have always seen as cursory due to the normal indifference of the populous.

[ I served and it may have been the worst thing I could have ever done. It made me a zombie (in war when things go fubar the mind adapts as best it can). Heck our squad was nicknamed the zombie dawgs as we all were walking dead. The four of us that made it home burned everything. ]

It seems to happens every year I am forgetful enough to venture outside today. I get harassed by civilians who have no clue , but are running on a misguided notion of respect.

I was kicked out of a breakfast for not showing an milID (burned) even though I wasn't there to eat (as I can't eat out due to intolerances) and the veterans there could all tell in one glance I served.
That pales to what just happened, two women just screamed at me for five to ten minutes for walking by uniformed soldiers and not thanking them. One brought her misguided aggressive husband into the mix and after an escalation even got the police involved. If it wasn't for those "disrespected" soldiers tearing into the two women , I'd probably be sitting in a cell again.

I have another rant about people not understanding "i don't talk about it" , but that's a rant I'll leave for another day.

I don't thank military members for their service. From my experience, most of them don't really care to be singled out in such a way.

We call it Remembrance Day here, and it's viewed more as a day to remember those who lost their lives, and honour the vets who fought in the war, though most have passed on now.

EveWasFramed said:
I don't thank military members for their service. From my experience, most of them don't really care to be singled out in such a way.

True , the prediminance of the ones I see out and about today served but never were in the thick, many never got off a base.

Sci-Fi said:
We call it Remembrance Day here, and it's viewed more as a day to remember those who lost their lives, and honour the vets who fought in the war, though most have passed on now.

That's our Memorial Day.

A day I do celebrate, typically involves other hardened vets (from different eras) and a few bottles of whiskey , and very little talking.

StarvingZombie said:
That pales to what just happened, two women just screamed at me for five to ten minutes for walking by uniformed soldiers and not thanking them. One brought her misguided aggressive husband into the mix and after an escalation even got the police involved.

Wow things have gone too far, at least with those two ladies.

StarvingZombie said:
Preface : To the soldiers , I hate the day not the service you did.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is Veterans day in the US , a day I have always seen as cursory due to the normal indifference of the populous.

[ I served and it may have been the worst thing I could have ever done. It made me a zombie (in war when things go fubar the mind adapts as best it can). Heck our squad was nicknamed the zombie dawgs as we all were walking dead. The four of us that made it home burned everything. ]

There is true respect, the one who comes from understanding the tragedy that war is and that one who was in the war has lived, and there is the fake goody-goody respect of those who want to think of themselves as proper people without ever having to act like one.
Unfortunately the latter is more common, sorry that happened to you, it makes complete sense not wanting to talk about your experiences with random people.

Latest posts

Back