Am I short for a guy?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrannySmith111

Reaction score
I'm currently 15 about to be 16. I'm an Asian male but I'm only 5'6 :(. My parents are not very tall. My mom is 5' while my dad is like 5'8.

My doctor has told me he thinks I'm done growing and I might get like 1 inch or 2 inches taller. Makes me really sad :(. I've always wanted to be like 6' lol.

Is 5'6 too short for an asian guy? Do you guys think I'm done growing or could my doctor be wrong?

Genetics can suck , and I know far too well that sentiment.

5'6" isn't too short, almost all the girls I've known will say (usually after mental deception with other questions) that 5'3"-5'4" is that threshold. Now guys might think 5'6" , but guys are also more competitive which probably related to the higher(/P) standard. This is also speaking in overall population too. Certain nationalities are not as tall as others. For asians I'd assume 5'6" is rather common , most tall asians I know are actually of a mixed background (then again there are those rare Yao Ming's out there).

It really comes down to you , and your own mind. Can you eventually accept 5'6" is perfect for you.

Yeah, what zombie said. Like your doctor said though, you could grow about an inch or two, that would put you at 5'7 or 8, that's pretty normal these days.

Yes you're slightly below average right now, but you still have a shot at growing. I grew very fast when I was young, and was 5'9.5" at 13. Unfortunately I stopped growing at 15 at 5'11". It's funny, because I thought I would be at least 6 feet too, and I was really sad I barely grew. I saw a lot of people 4 or 5 inches shorter than me, end up being significantly taller than me. I'm going to admit I still wish I was taller and let it bother me.

But life is all about perspective. I have a friend whose 5'6" and he is definitely shorter, but he doesn't let it bother him. There are plenty of girls 5'6" and under and he has no problems.

lostatsea said:
Unfortunately I stopped growing at 15 at 5'11". It's funny, because I thought I would be at least 6 feet too, and I was really sad I barely grew. I saw a lot of people 4 or 5 inches shorter than me, end up being significantly taller than me. I'm going to admit I still wish I was taller and let it bother me.

^ I actually think 5'11" is a very good height for a guy. Guys over a certain height start to make me feel overshadowed, and I don't really like that. Taller isn't necessarily better.

OP: I've heard that 5'9" is average, so if you end up being 5'8" you'll be close to average. Even if you stay at 5'6", I wouldn't worry. My brother is 5'6" and he's never had any trouble getting girlfriends or anything (if that's what you're worried about).

I didn't stop growing when I was 16, they told me I'd be 1,80 meters (5'9"), now I'm almost 6'3" (1,91 meters). I'm happy I'm tall, but when I was younger I was really skinny and looked like a tall skeleton, so that's the downside of being tall.

E: I must say I'm Dutch, most Dutch men are quite tall. But yeah, I wouldn't worry about your height. One of my best friends is about 5'6", and he's really good with women. Many women are 5'6" or shorter anyway.

There's not much you can do about that, you could try wearing some thick boots or something if you'd like to look taller. But I'd try not to let it worry you too much.

I always wanted to be taller: I'm 20 and around 5ft 9.5. It's too late for me to grow taller but at your age it's very possible!

Why is everyone worried about height? Is it because you feel that you should be taller (being men?)

I´m actually average height from where I come from, but having played basketball may have influenced my perspective on proper men height.
I have many shorter friends who are happy and self confident about their height, so its not like one can complain that much I guess. The quality of life is decided in other departments.

But I feel for you, as I´m also unhappy with how "short" I am.
I guess just try to get more confidence in who you are. I dont want to sound stereotypical, but maybe you can do something that will compensate the height in pursue of manliness. I would suggest martial arts, but I dont know if I´m not just saying that because you are asian:D But I mean something that will assure you as your position of a man, no matter the height.

short is definitely a relative term.
I am 6'3" and get called tall all of the time. but what I used to find funny was how when I got home with my friends, I was the shortest in the group lol
I was average in school, but when I returned to that same school a year after I graduated.. everyone seemed to be a head shorter!

also, don't forget.. 6ft tall is actually above average in most of the world, and all the Hollywood hunks seem to be on the lower end of the scale.
so what does that tell you..

You're not too short. No one is too ''short'' or too ''tall''. What's normal anyway?

Walley said:
also, don't forget.. 6ft tall is actually above average in most of the world, and all the Hollywood hunks seem to be on the lower end of the scale.

...that you're super duper tall? :S

Nocebo said:
Why is everyone worried about height? Is it because you feel that you should be taller (being men?)

Yeah pretty much. Being taller, is generally preferred up to a point, with polls saying the ideal height is 6'2". You look better, feel more manly. There's a proven relationship between height and attractiveness. As unfair as it sounds, taller people, and more attractive people in general live a better life. Higher salaries for the same skills, people treat you nicer, etc.

lostatsea said:
Nocebo said:

Yeah pretty much. Being taller, is generally preferred up to a point, with polls saying the ideal height is 6'2". You look better, feel more manly. There's a proven relationship between height and attractiveness. As unfair as it sounds, taller people, and more attractive people in general live a better life. Higher salaries for the same skills, people treat you nicer, etc.
I'm not exaggerating when I say my very average height has made my life an absolute misery. I constantly feel self conscious about it.

I constantly feel self conscious about it.
that is really what the problem is there. its how you feel about it and our own personal perceptions.
as for me, a persons height never even crosses my mind. a lot of people are shorter than I am and so it just simply doesn't stand out to me. I don't even take notice honestly.

this topic also reminds me of something I saw on tv a while ago that made me laugh.
now.. please no one hold it against me for quoting Oprah but.. lol
as I came into the living room a while back and my wife was watching Oprah, she was talking about cleaning out her closest and came across a jacket of her boyfriend Steadman, and she noticed the tag said "medium"
her eyes bugged out and the girls sitting around the couch with her all chuckled and were like.. ewww! medium!
they seemed to say that girls don't want a man that takes a smaller jacket than she does.
but the funny part is.. she was ok with him and never had a second thought until she saw the tag.
the issue was not an issue even in her own mind until she read that tag and thought about it in a superficial way. so is it that she was turned off that her man wasn't "manly" enough or big enough? I don't think so.. she said he didn't look like a medium.
she was turned off by a label and her own shallow thinking that size actually changes something about a person.

Found out something today that didn't make me feel as bad about my height?

I never knew usher was 5'7 and Daniel Radcliffe was 5'5. Surprised me. Usher looked so tall and I had NO clue Daniel Radcliffe was shorter than me.

I do hope I grow taller though, and this isn't my final height. Around 5'8 would make me really happy since it is around average. Nobody is gonna get tape measure out and find out i'm 2 inches shorter than the average height so it shouldn't matter :/.

Good attitude. There are tons of short people out there. Lars Ulrich is 5'6 and has dated models 5'10 and over. Tom Cruise is 5'7".

Being confident in who you are is more important than your actual height. You're bigger than your body.

ladyforsaken said:
Walley said:

...that you're super duper tall? :S

I came here to make a serious post, but this made me laugh out loud and now I've forgotten what it was I intended to say. Must be old age coming on :D

Latest posts

Back