What artists/bands do you relate to/are your favorite.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

WallflowerGirl83

What kind of music do you relate too? What are you're favorite bands? What bands do you relate too?

There's so many bands I've connected with, cause there lyrics were so powerful. Sometimes I felt as if they were singing them just for me, cause I felt everything as I was listening to them. Music is important. This is for music lovers or for anyone who can listen to music and feel completed. Once you hear the music, you feel safe and you're mind finally escapes. I've always been a big fan of music and I collects lots of different albums. Lately I've been searching for new music that I could relate too. I'll name a few of my favorite, than after I post I'd love to hear bands/artists you everyone else relates too.

I'll name 5 bands, cause I know how I am. I'll be naming band after band, lol. So I'll try to keep this short. Cause I'd like to hear what other people have to say too. =)

~Cocteau Twins obviously: My signature is of them after all. =)
~Slowdive: Heard of them a few years ago. I'm glad I came across them.
~Elliott Smith: Been a fan of him for years now.
~M83: A band I recently heard and I'm growing to love them!
~Alice In Chains: This band takes me back to the 90's. I really miss the lead singer and I wish he wasn't dead. =(

I'll post up a few pictures too!
Slowdive%2Bcircle%2Bgroup.jpg

Slowdive
600full-elliott-smith.jpg

Elliott Smith
I love this picture of him!!
m83.jpg

M83
layne_staley___alice_in_chains_by_zizzorhands-d3aozns.jpeg

Alice In Chains: Lead singer Layne Staley
Man I miss him. ****! =(

and here's a recent band I got into, lol!

MGMT. I love this gif of them! LOL! They look like hippies in this gif. It makes me giggle.

tumblr_mvp1euLK6w1sw02lko1_500.gif

Ok, I think I said enough, lol! Someone else post now please before I say anymore, lol. I seriously could go on forever about music.

My faves change with time. The ones I like are usually single musicians, but there are a few bands I go for. I was a blues fanatic for a while & still dig it...
  • Lightnin' Hopkins (his "Fugitive Blues" is one of the best tunes to ever come out of Texas)
  • John Lee Hooker. His blues are raw & full of truth. As far as I'm concerned Hooker will always be a demigod of music.
  • Stevie Ray Vaughn
  • Odetta
  • Waylon Jennings ("Good Ol' Boys" used to be my theme song)
  • Richard Wagner (I can totally relate to "Siegfried's Funeral March")
  • Alice In Chains
  • AC/DC (when I'm in the mood)
  • Otis Spann (his piano playing is second to none)
  • Elmore James

Limp Bizkit - Chocolate Starfish & The Hotdog Flavoured Water

Mainly for the swearing non stopness

Guitar Rock... The Misfits, and some indie odds and ends.

But my favourite genre lately is 70's soul/funk such as The Isley Brothers, Marvin Gaye, Parliament/Funkadelic (George Clinton), The Meters.. even some Barry White:p Admitted to liking any of this at school might have got me lynched.

In terms of bands, the top ones are Genesis, Yes, Rush, The Beatles, Porcupine Tree, Marillion, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, The Rolling Stones, The Beach Boys, Led Zeppelin, Muse, Radiohead, Jackson 5, Keane, Dream Theater, U2, The Moody Blues, Journey, Kansas, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, and Matchbox 20.

In terms of solo artists, it's all four of The Beatles, all the members of Genesis (Peter Gabriel/Phil Collins/Steve Hackett/Tony Banks/Anthony Phillips/Mike Rutherford/Ray Wilson/etc), Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, Christina Aguilera, Ellie Goulding, Tori Amos, Sarah McLachlan, Kate Bush, Lights Poxleitner, David Bowie, James Taylor, Joni Mitchell, Lou Christie, Julian Lennon, Simon Collins, Bruno Mars, Taylor Swift, Britney Spears (don't shoot me for this one! It's a guilty pleasure...), Lady Gaga, Eric Clapton, and Peter Frampton.

I had periods, progressive rock period, 60ies west coast period (Doors, Janis Joplin, etc), 60ies british mod, weird music (Zorn, Cage, meredith monk, that kind of stuff), trance for a while (future sound of london, that kind of thing) folk (irish, british, dylan/baez etc) and nu folk, blues always, better if roots, big bill bronzy, john hurt, oh, so many, jazz always, classical, Bowie always, 60/70ies soul too, the Meters favorite, my guilty passion is Dolly Parton, now I am behind with new bands and I am catching up with Soundmood.

Peaches said:
I had periods, progressive rock period, 60ies west coast period (Doors, Janis Joplin, etc), 60ies british mod, weird music (Zorn, Cage, meredith monk, that kind of stuff), trance for a while (future sound of london, that kind of thing) folk (irish, british, dylan/baez etc) and nu folk, blues always, better if roots, big bill bronzy, john hurt, oh, so many, jazz always, classical, Bowie always, 60/70ies soul too, the Meters favorite, my guilty passion is Dolly Parton, now I am behind with new bands and I am catching up with Soundmood.

Yes, everything sandwiched in between the late 1960's-early 1990s, I pretty much love.

Occasionally, someone new catches my attention, and I'm completely blown away. For instance, Ellie Goulding just blows me away. She is so quirky and innovative, it's like hearing all the sounds that I loved growing up echoed back to me. It was no surprise hearing that her influences were Genesis, David Bowie, and The Beatles.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
In terms of bands, the top ones are Genesis, Yes, Rush, The Beatles, Porcupine Tree, Marillion, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, The Rolling Stones, The Beach Boys, Led Zeppelin, Muse, Radiohead, Jackson 5, Keane, Dream Theater, U2, The Moody Blues, Journey, Kansas, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, and Matchbox 20.

In terms of solo artists, it's all four of The Beatles, all the members of Genesis (Peter Gabriel/Phil Collins/Steve Hackett/Tony Banks/Anthony Phillips/Mike Rutherford/Ray Wilson/etc), Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, Christina Aguilera, Ellie Goulding, Tori Amos, Sarah McLachlan, Kate Bush, Lights Poxleitner, David Bowie, James Taylor, Joni Mitchell, Lou Christie, Julian Lennon, Simon Collins, Bruno Mars, Taylor Swift, Britney Spears (don't shoot me for this one! It's a guilty pleasure...), Lady Gaga, Eric Clapton, and Peter Frampton.

Excellent taste in music (sorry, aside from Britney!), especially Kate Bush - huge fan of hers since I heard the album 'The Dreaming' when I was teenager. That was...ahem...a wee bit ago now. :p

I'll add a few of my own personal favourites to the list too. Queen, Supertramp, Gary Numan, Klaatu, Bat for Lashes, Loreena McKennittt, Pink Floyd, Underworld...tons more, but those off the top of my head.

Wow so much wonderful music being named. Here's another band I forgot to mention. Every so often I'll come back and post up more bands and please be sure to do the same thing. Everyone just name bands they love, it can be all at once or one at a time. I love knowing what music everyone loves listening too. It helps me also find great music too: especially if I've never heard of them before. Here's one band I forgot to mention, a band I've been recently getting into.

Washed Out. =)
washed_out-observatory_ACY8672-608x404.jpg

-Plain White T's (sings some about life and relationships)
-Melody Ishikawa (has quite a bit of love songs)

They rest of my music are strictly music since I do not understand the lyrics.

In the past few months I've been listening to a lot of ambient music like Steve Roach and Solar Fields. Also some dark ambient like Moevot (possibly the only decent thing to come of the Les Legion Noires). These past few weeks I've been listening to a lot of blues guitar actually. I also like a lot of fusion and jazz. I used to be hugely into black metal but now its an on and off thing. Here is my last fm anyway:

http://www.last.fm/user/KaliBhakta

There are some bands that really stick out to me. Pink Floyd was the first band I really liked. Then the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Then I started listening to Rancid and Operation Ivy, which inspired me to take up guitar.

Other constant favorites include early Smashing Pumpkins, early Less Than Jake, early Millencolin, Crimpshrine, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Tame Impala, Led Zeppelin, early Green Day, and more that I can't really think of at the moment.

I like to listen to stuff like classic rock for a good-time feeling, psychedelia for the dreamyness, and punk for motivation, when I feel like I'm just not going to take any of the world's crap. I relate to it all and it's all a part of me.

A UK artist called CASisDEAD or CAS

CAS1.png

Eminem:
eminem_double_middle_finger_flipping_the_bird.jpg

These are both artists who I relate to a lot. Their songs have helped me through some very low and destructive times. Eminem is the first artist I ever really paid attention to when I listened. My brother bought me Stan on cassette with My Name Is on the B side. Since then I've become open to all types of music from hip-hop to rock to reggae to classical and everything in between.
Cas on the other hand I've only been listening to for a couple of years. His music might be considered harsh by some but for me he make honest music about the darker side of the road.

And Fliptrix

FliptrixThirdEye2.jpg

This guy appeals to my more positive outlook and spiritual side. His music always has a positive message. Also he is from the same part of London as me :D

bob-marley-principal.jpg

^^ And this guy I can never tire of listening to. Always gets me in a relaxed mood. Timeless music for me.

I'll stop now or I might go on forever :D

I'm always trying to limit myself when making these lists, but they end up too long all the time... :(

Rock Bands: Radiohead, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Aracde Fire, Sigur Rós, The Beatles, The Beach Boys, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Doors, Thee Oh Sees, The White Stripes, Blur, Pulp, The Flaming Lips, The Strokes, ZZ Top, Muse, Oasis, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, My Bloody Valentine
Heavy: Rage Against The Machine, Queens Of The Stone Age, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, At The Gates, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Kvelertak, Molotov, Led Zeppelin, The Sex Pistols, The Clash, Wolfmother, In Flames, Motörhead, Finntroll
Classical & Film music: Gustav Mahler, Sergei Rachmaninoff, Frédéric Chopin, Ludwig Van Beethoven, Pyotr Illyich Tchaikovsky, Claude Debussy, Philip Glass, Joe Hisaishi, Ennio Morricone, Gustavo Santaolalla
Hip Hop: Nas, Wu-Tang Clan, MF DOOM, Gang Starr, Masta Ace, CunninLynguists, Jedi Mind Tricks, The Roots, Killer Mike, El-P, N.W.A., Mos Def, Aesop Rock, Brother Ali, Run-D.M.C., Dendemann, Immortal Technique, Prop Dylan, Eric B. & Rakim, 2Pac, The Notorious B.I.G., Big L, Atmosphere, Blu, OutKast
Electronic & Instrumental: Electric Universe, Astrix, Infected Mushroom, Black Sun Empire, X-Dream, Daft Punk, Caravan Palace, Blue Planet Corporation, Vibrasphere, Moby, Cosmosis, Nujabes, J Dilla, RJD2, Thomax, Astral Projection, Laughing Buddha
Miscellaneous: Bob Marley & The Wailers, Jimmy Cliff, Bob Dylan, Bill Evans Trio, Art Tatum, David Bowie, PJ Harvey, St. Vincent, Patti Smith, Ray Charles, Johnny Cash, Ravi Shankar, McCoy Tyner, Howlin' Wolf, James Brown, B.B. King

I'd say my top 3 have more or less become Tool, Fear Factory and Mastodon. I'm also really into original movie and video game soundtracks.

Bon Jovi first heard them when I was 14 and fell in love with their music. I would say my other two long term music loves are Queen and U2. My latest music crush is Michael Buble his voice.....

Latest posts

Back