Religion

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyluvsfilms

Reaction score
Has anyone seeked religion as a consequence of being lonely or because of social anxiety? i myself have gone to Christian and spiritual churches plus Buddhism and Quaker meetings. I would say my Buddhist experience was probably the one that i felt most comfortable with but as per normal i kinda lost interest.

Tried, tested, failed. It's hard to find comfort in religion when you use logic to reason with everything as much as I do. :p

About 7 years ago I went to a Buddhist group, and this really helped me. It was cool because they didn't try to make you believe anything, just said if it doesn't work for you, you don't need to come back, and they were quite secular and western so believing in things like reincarnation wasn't required, which suited me.

I found it very useful and logical and felt a lot of it was commonsense and a system of living rather than a religion (although I guess it depends on the school and how far people take it all!). I went to the group for a while, it helped me but then I drifted away, although I still practice my meditation and listen to loads of podcasts on the topic from all over the world which keeps me company sometimes!

andyluvsfilms said:
Out of curiosity which podcasts do you listen to?

I like the ones on Audio dharma, especially Gil Fronsdal. I think he has a very down to earth and common sense outlook. Also like Tara Brach, some of the ones on dharmaseed though there are millions to choose from, and sometimes Josh Korda at dharmapunxnyc.

Sure, i went with jehova witness because they always seem so friendly to each other and have a very close comunity, and I didnt mind telling everyone I believe all that stuff if it could help me to get any friend. But it didnt work, they are just people, like everyone else.

I believe in God which helps me, as it gives me a lot of hope that there is a much better life awaiting me after this life ends.
I don't think much of the church, (though I know that there are some which are supportive and caring). Churches can be lonely places for people who are already lonely. Most of them stress that they are there for families/are family oriented, and for those like me without family, or for those with very dysfunctional families, it feels that we are overlooked. Also, a lot of churches are still unwelcoming to gay people and to mentally ill people, which makes me both angry and sad. Sometimes it seems that churches will put you on a prayer list when you are in a very vulnerable situation, but that they won't knock on your door to offer any help. I'm sorry if this sounds cynical, but from my own life and the lives of others, I know that this sort of thing happens frequently.

To be honest, I feel my religion is half the cause of my loneliness. Being somewhat conservative means you're looking for someone with the same beliefs as you, and that does drastically reduce your choices & chances.

TheWalkingDead said:
andyluvsfilms said:
Out of curiosity which podcasts do you listen to?

I like the ones on Audio dharma, especially Gil Fronsdal. I think he has a very down to earth and common sense outlook. Also like Tara Brach, some of the ones on dharmaseed though there are millions to choose from, and sometimes Josh Korda at dharmapunxnyc.

OK thanks, I'll give the Audio Dharma ones a try, they're not too long either.

Latest posts

Back