Have work colleaues suddenly just stopped talking to you for seemingly no ood resons?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Retrospective81

I work in a retail store (part time thankfully) and I've noticed people have just stopped talking to me, yet I see them talking to other colleagues.

In no way have I ever upset them been mean or espouted racist views or anything like that. If I did, it would be understandable but because I have not, it baffles me and as made me feel like I'm not valued or as 'part of the team'.

But they just see me and carry on without a word, but if w as the next person the pleasantries and conversations would be in endless supply'

I'm trying my hardest not to let it affect me as it did in the past. part of why I'm writing it here and now is that I'm not gonna let it eat away at me as that's what I did before and the story isn't pretty. But, not going to go into that.

I have however mentioned in the past that I don't have a mobile phone or watch mainstream TV or chase the celebrity world and neither have I told them that they were foolish if they did. I always thought 'agreeing to disagree' was the best policy.

I think that this may be the problem IMO. That maybe I'm not part of what society says I should be these days, and that people are influenced in a certain way that if they see you are different, you MAY be a threat to them and therefore ostricized? I'm not saying that this is the case I'm just drawing it up as a possibility. No, I'm not gettin into a labelling, or slanging match here or playing the 'me vs the world' game. I'm 32, too old for that B.S and I need to rise above it and understand it better.

I do have hobbies. All sorts of music especially old, retro gaming, reading, walking, the internet, movies and a few others. I don't think not having a mobile phone merits or should merit me appearing aloof or awkward or something. It's just a personal choice nor do I think badly of those who do own such devices (you may need one for work or family, that's cool) Nor wanting to read newspapers, be political etc should ostricize me either.

Anyone else gone through the same?

The workplace is not much different from a school. Cliques are still gonna form and all that. You'll get replaced, often. You don't have to do anything wrong to these people, that's just how things end up over time. Some of them however, will go through phases, where they just randomly talk to someone, and the person they randomly pick just so happens to not be you at the time(or many times). Eventually, they'll swing back to you.

i worked retail for the first time this past summer. i really don't think you should take it personally especially when working part time. retail is a very come and go environment and not everyone really cares to get to know their colleagues. plus a lot of the workers are very young and immature to start with. you're 32 so maybe they just don't feel they can relate to you. I'm only 24 but i couldn't even relate to my coworkers because i had a degree and wasn't ignorant and ghetto. people decide from the moment they meet you whether they like you or not. it doesn't matter what you do or say, how nice you are, or how mean you are. people are people. The good thing is you're only there part time and hopefully you're working on getting another job in the meantime. see it as a means to get to your next step not a place you'll be stuck at permanently with idiot people

Latest posts

Back