christmas cards

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triple Bogey

Reaction score
Got my first few this afternoon, people from work. All seems a bit pointless. I much prefer actually wishing somebody a nice Christmas in person. Of course when I get a card, I feel the need to return one.

What on earth do you write ?

This lass, I have known her for over 15 years. She wrote 'To David - from Lisa' - that was it. Really thrilled me reading that. This other woman was opening her card from Lisa and she got a 'love from' - of course I made a joke of it complaining I never got a 'love' just a plain 'from' - probably didn't want to give me any ideas lol !

I suppose some poor souls don't even get a card. I remember one year when I wasn't working, I got 2, one from a paperboy (obviously wanting a tip) and this friend who lived up the road. When I started working and xmas came along and I started getting cards; they meant a great deal and I would look in wonder at the words of 'love' and the 'X' as though they meant something.

Triple Bogey said:
Got my first few this afternoon, people from work. All seems a bit pointless. I much prefer actually wishing somebody a nice Christmas in person. Of course when I get a card, I feel the need to return one.

What on earth do you write ?

This lass, I have known her for over 15 years. She wrote 'To David - from Lisa' - that was it. Really thrilled me reading that. This other woman was opening her card from Lisa and she got a 'love from' - of course I made a joke of it complaining I never got a 'love' just a plain 'from' - probably didn't want to give me any ideas lol !

I suppose some poor souls don't even get a card. I remember one year when I wasn't working, I got 2, one from a paperboy (obviously wanting a tip) and this friend who lived up the road. When I started working and xmas came along and I started getting cards; they meant a great deal and I would look in wonder at the words of 'love' and the 'X' as though they meant something.

:D You should join the Xmas card thread and see who sends you what.

Well, I get what you're saying, Triple. Cos I sometimes get them too. But I always thought it was nice... it's the thought that counts. And maybe people feel that the thoughts are better reminded with a visual, physical card - even if they don't really know what to write in it. I am like that too sometimes. I want the other person to know and be reminded that I am thinking of them without having anything else in mind to say except genuine well wishes.

ladyforsaken said:
Well, I get what you're saying, Triple. Cos I sometimes get them too. But I always thought it was nice... it's the thought that counts. And maybe people feel that the thoughts are better reminded with a visual, physical card - even if they don't really know what to write in it. I am like that too sometimes. I want the other person to know and be reminded that I am thinking of them without having anything else in mind to say except genuine well wishes.

I think they make sense if you don't see a person often, it's a way of saying 'have a nice Christmas and all the best for the New Year' - I see people at work almost every day. I know some people at work don't even open their cards, they just leave them or chuck them in the bin.

Lol. Seems legit. I never get many cards around Christmas. Not something many people do here. It doesn't bother me. Although I do value them more and more as the years go by.

I like giving and getting cards although with the advent of social media it seems like I get a lot less these days. I always try to enclose a picture in cards I send to faraway friends and family.

One year, I was on another forum and I got a card from a member who was serving in Afghanistan. I've gotten homemade cards too. Those have all gone into my personal Christmas card hall of fame :)

-Teresa

Latest posts

Back