Life as a bald guy

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've pretty much lost most of my hair except around the sides and back of my head.....typical male pattern baldness. I knew it was coming on and tried not to fake it with a comb over, but for a few years I did try to mitigate the bald image by wearing a cap.....it didn't fool anyone but myself.

I guess I kind of like the monkish image now.

The only really bad part of being bald is that sunshine can really burn.....I spend a lot of time outdoors and a shady, brimmed hat is essential but only when I'm outside. Once I come in, I flaunt that bare pate......

Baldness can actually work really well if you accessorize with the right facial hair (scrotebeards are not acceptable, ever). Maybe it's time for someone to usher in a mad scientist-style tonsure, yes? Be an innovator!

Haven't read the entire thread but I've been shaving my head for years. People will judge you on it, there will be wisecracks and some girls will make rude comments. Women on the other hand don't seem to mind so much, it's certainly never been a problem for me getting dates.

Top Tip: get your body in shape and grow some stubble, the more masculine you look the better you will feel. Too many men look like little boys as it is.

ardour said:
Short story : I've been balding since I was 15 and for the last few years living under a cap, which I'm allowed at work since it's very casual here.

Friend of mine went bald at 25. He grew a thick, manly beard and you've never seen more women throw themselves at a guy. He's short/average in height, nothing special to look at and certainly not a muscular athletic guy. If you are able try experimenting a bit with your image. Try out facial hair styles (there are many) and even try on different glasses even if you dont need them. Dudes like Moby, Tom Morello and Billy Corgan probably dont worry much about being bald :)

Good luck with it!

Shave it all off. Nothing wrong with being bald, anyone who acts or says otherwise is wrong.

Lost Drifter said:
Haven't read the entire thread but I've been shaving my head for years. People will judge you on it, there will be wisecracks and some girls will make rude comments. Women on the other hand don't seem to mind so much, it's certainly never been a problem for me getting dates.

Top Tip: get your body in shape and grow some stubble, the more masculine you look the better you will feel. Too many men look like little boys as it is.

Good advice there...look and act! Im loosing my hair at a terrific rate...debating on the shaving myself...or just buzzing what i have so short that its barely noticeable..just not sure how much I care.........

ardour said:
Short story : I've been balding since  I was 15 and for the last few years living under a cap, which I'm allowed at work since it's very casual here.

So a couple of days ago I took it off thinking all would be fine, everyone I knew would embrace the new look..

I've noticed quite a few smug looks and generally less respect from people out and about. Sure my closer friends have given the vote of confidence, but there's also been a lot of turned up noses from strangers and acquaintances. I guess this is just life for us baldies;  basically eating humble pie every day.  

Hair gives the face and head proportion, without it you look like  a giant baby.  I hate it, but there's no dignified solution, other than donning a rug and getting some awful transplant surgery the results of which look pretty disastrous.

Looks matter, even well into adulthood, there's no magic number after which they don't,  otherwise I wouldn't have noticed a different vibe.  

You guys with hair don't know how lucky you are.

I won't lie ... having a full head of nice hair is one of the few things I consider my blessings in this life. So yes, I do know how lucky I am in that regard.

However, my very best friend from my college days is bald. He did mention the subject quite often, which led me to believe he was insecure about it. Despite that, he didn't seem to have much trouble with the ladies or making friends, in general.

Now, coming to looks in general, bald or not, it really doesn't seem to matter that much, provided you offer something else to others that they find interesting or attractive about you ... a nice smile, muscularity, personality, "confidence" (I use quotes here because most people don't seem to know what that really means), intelligence, humor, whatever. If you need proof that hot girls go out with not-the-best-looking guys, just switch on the box or head to a metropolis.

I honestly think that most people would overlook baldness if they knew you as a person. Yes, that first step of breaking the ice may be more challenging, because the interaction is superficial at that point, but even then, you could make up for the hair in other ways. Alternatively, there is a LOT of really cool head gear available ... beanies, bandanas, what have you. Try out different stuff ... style it up !

This doesn't have to be a constraint for you, my friend.

I shaved my head once when I was 16 years old for a new look. I got called a nazi, skinhead, a biker gang member etc for it. My high school teacher even lost her job because my mom was going to filled a lawsuit to the school board because she kept making bully nazi remarks to me.

Now here we are in the present and I see more bald guys and its acceptable. But back then oh honeysuckle here comes the pain.

Scumbag-genetics.jpg

...and it's all you need

I have a shaved head and been shaving it on and off for 6 years. For me it's different as I'm female. Now I keep my head covered because I like wearing turbans, but not ashamed to show off my shaved head.

Whatever gender and state of baldness, one could always wear a hat.

I'm gradually balding, but wear a fedora with penache. :)

Latest posts

Back