Why do people feel lonely at christmas?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peaches

Reaction score
why do you think people feel lonely during christmas? why do you (if you do)?

I do because every one seems to have a family but me (probably that isn't true), because one is supposed to feel happy and all the people look like sheep going shopping etc, and the sentimental music makes me want to cry and puke alternatively, and even if I had a family most probably it won't be like the ones you see in the movies. All silly reasons, but, well.

Peaches said:
I do because every one seems to have a family but me (probably that isn't true), because one is supposed to feel happy and all the people look like sheep going shopping etc, and the sentimental music makes me want to cry and puke alternatively, and even if I had a family most probably it won't be like the ones you see in the movies. All silly reasons, but, well.

This for me too. It's a time to celebrate family, and I didn't have a real family for very long. I don't now either. I have an aunt, but we're not that close and she won't be here for Christmas.

So I feel even more lonely during the holidays, because I have to watch other people, happy with their friends and family. It's like looking through a window of a restaurant, watching everyone else laugh, eat and spend time together. I'm on the outside of that window, starving, alone and cold.

I like Christmas music though. This year should be a little less painful for me, because for the first time in years, I know there are people who care about me (Even if they are thousands of miles away).

Locke said:
It's like looking through a window of a restaurant, watching everyone else laugh, eat and spend time together. I'm on the outside of that window, starving, alone and cold.

^ That.

I dont feel especially lonely on christmas, I also didnt know people did

I get more lonely in the summer than I do this time of year. In the summer that's when everyone is out and enjoying the warm and doing group activities. In the winter I really I don't notice and I see family a lot at Christmas.

I think for me it's the fact that the holidays reminds me of all the things I don't like to think about. Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Eve are all about being thankful for your friends, family, loved ones, and basically everything you have. But many people on this forum including myself aren't happy. I know I'm looking at it wrong. We end up being reminded of everything we don't have, focusing on the bad rather than the good. To put things in perspective, there are always people who have it worse than we do. Some people have it much worse, but are still able to keep their spirits up. But I can't help it.

It reminds me that another New Year's Eve is happening where I'm not kissing that special person when the clock hits 12. My birthday falls near Christmas, so it reminds me that I've gotten another year older. The New Year's in general reminds us all that we've aged a year, and we generally reflect on what's happened this past year. Which for the last few years is absolutely nothing productive. I honestly can't remember the last time I had a new year's where I said, wow what a great year that was. I'm proud and excited for the next one.

I don't really care much about it but it would be nice to spend such holidays with loved ones.

It doesn't really bother me too much. Usually a little. But I seem to have this ability to recover fast.

It's the same as have been said in here already really. Christmas is the time of year where it pays to have a half decent family and group of friends. It's the time of year when you can show them how much you care and they can show you how much they care. Having no close family, or even close friends for that matter, can impact on a person a little x]

Because it's a holiday that emphasizes togetherness, family, etc.

And for those who aren't particularly rich in such connections, it can naturally be a sensitive time.

Hold your head up high. You're not at all alone in this. Lots of people are in the same situation as you, so just move on and keep trying to make connections. Who knows? You're not doomed to be alone forever -- no matter what you might think. So just keep trying to make friends and maybe create your own family network.

And if it doesn't happen this Christmas, well...

...hell, at least Christmas lights are pretty.

[img=800x600]http://www.hdwallpapersview.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/08/yu.jpeg[/img]

I always made sure I took my vacation time at Christmas, that way I'd get to spend a week at my mom's. Don't have to worry about that now for the time being, but even though neither of them really understood how I felt I wasn't alone, alone. I have people to talk to. We don't congregate much with the rest of our family because my family doesn't really get together well. An argument or fight always breaks out. We do better in smaller gatherings. Whenever I had to spend part of the holiday season alone though, yeah that kind of sucked.

I feel lonely at xmas, empty house apart from my Dad (who doesn't like xmas much), everybody I know (it seems !) have people down, an house full, drinking, children, parties, friends, having fun - that day just reminds me how little I have. But I suppose many people are far worse off.

i hate it when people at work ask what im doing for christmas so i lie and say i'm going to a relatives when in reality i'll be on my own all day and boxing day
i like winter because of the cold the streets become mine again because people dont going out in the cold

Because it's projected as such a happy time where family and friends get together, share gifts and celebrate Christmas together; unfortunately this is a tainted version of the truth. Reality is that most people do not have this and dread the holiday season and so find it so hard in many ways, if it's not financially (which is probably the most common) it's because of the constant image of this picture-perfect event from multiple forms of media when in fact it's hardly like this at all.

You're bombarded with images of smiley, happy people in knitwear gathered around the Christmas tree with their loved ones opening presents, and everyone is laughing and happy, and it's so far removed from the sordid reality of family arguments, drinking too much, not answering the door to carol singers, and pretending to be grateful for some shitty present that you can't believe someone would have thought you wanted. It's a time of year when you feel that you're supposed to be happy, and the fact that you aren't, and the thought that other people are, just makes you feel so much more miserable. Merry Christmas!

This is incredibly melodramatic, but it answers the OP's question.

My father died 2 days before Christmas...on my daughter's first birthday.

This was 17 years ago. But always somewhat bittersweet...

suitablylonely said:
This is incredibly melodramatic, but it answers the OP's question.

My father died 2 days before Christmas...on my daughter's first birthday.

This was 17 years ago. But always somewhat bittersweet...

I know what you mean.. my father passed away 2 days after Christmas.. which is today.. 7 years ago. Sighs.. it just gets a bit emo a little more than usual at this time around.

Christmas is traditionally a time for family and friends to come together and if your a bit lacking in either of those departments, it will make you feel alone

I'm lonely every holiday. No mom for Mother's Day, no dad for Father's day, no partner for Valentine's, and no other family and friends to share any of the other holidays.

I really don't feel lonely on holidays... For me, it's just another day... It's more amusing than anything... I do understand the concept behind Christmas... Usually when I go out to a bar or restaurants around that time of the year, I see so many couples, groups, friends & families hanging out & I'm just about the only one that hanging out by myself... I had few people ask me if it bothered me but nope...!!!

Latest posts

Back