What is loneliness?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wannabe poet

Reaction score
Loneliness is getting out of bed in the morning, hoping time goes by fast enough that you'll be back into that coffin you call a bed in no time. It's spending Friday nights alone watching tv shows and movies you have no interest in.
loneliness is switching your phone off for a week and a half and have only 2 missed calls when you switch it back on, needless to say those to calls are from your dad. loneliness is becoming too familiar with the word that it starts to lose its meaning.

Loneliness is getting a call from someone you know is just using you, but still keeping them on the phone as long as you can just so you are not alone with your thoughts again.
Loneliness is sending messages to people and repeatedly getting ignored. Loneliness is desperation.
Loneliness is drowning in a sea of resentment, it's a dark cloud that follows you everywhere,a dark shadow that consumes you over time.
Loneliness is waking up in the morning and writing a piece on what it's like to be lonely. Loneliness is being in a room full of people and feeling no different than you would home alone with no outside world connections.

Loneliness is anxiety. loneliness is depression. Loneliness is talking to your self so much that your thoughts become like nails scratching on a chalk board. Loneliness is hell.

Why should loneliness only be negative?
Loneliness is peace: no human sounds which bleed the ears. No annoying conversation with the others. And most importantly no one to distract you from the best pass time that is daydreaming.

Drama said:
Loneliness is peace: no human sounds which bleed the ears. No annoying conversation with the others. And most importantly no one to distract you from the best pass time that is daydreaming.

Loneliness and being alone are 2 different things.
Loneliness is in no way positive where as aloneness is enjoying your own company.

Wannabe poet said:
Drama said:

Loneliness and being alone are 2 different things.
Loneliness is in no way positive where as aloneness is enjoying your own company.
It depends on which perspective you regard it. You prefer to see it as a negative burden that is fine, but i do make the distinction between loneliness and alone. When you have spent most of your life LONELY, you can either lament over it as a curse, or concentrate on what is good in it.
I was forced into loneliness BUT i choose to remain in it.

Do you understand what i mean now? :)

Drama said:

That doesn't work for everybody.

Drama said:

Being alone and okay with that is not loneliness. Loneliness is hell because it kills you from inside gradually.

Wannabe poet said:
Loneliness is getting out of bed in the morning, hoping time goes by fast enough that you'll be back into that coffin you call a bed in no time. It's spending Friday nights alone watching tv shows and movies you have no interest in.
loneliness is switching your phone off for a week and a half and have only 2 missed calls when you switch it back on, needless to say those to calls are from your dad. loneliness is becoming too familiar with the word that it starts to lose its meaning.

Loneliness is getting a call from someone you know is just using you, but still keeping them on the phone as long as you can just so you are not alone with your thoughts again.
Loneliness is sending messages to people and repeatedly getting ignored. Loneliness is desperation.
Loneliness is drowning in a sea of resentment, it's a dark cloud that follows you everywhere,a dark shadow that consumes you over time.
Loneliness is waking up in the morning and writing a piece on what it's like to be lonely. Loneliness is being in a room full of people and feeling no different than you would home alone with no outside world connections.

Loneliness is anxiety. loneliness is depression. Loneliness is talking to your self so much that your thoughts become like nails scratching on a chalk board. Loneliness is hell.

I absolutely agree with everything in it. 'Loneliness is sending messages to people and repeatedly getting ignored' - I can really relate to this. When I'm lonely, I feel that I send some kind of loneliness and emptiness energy or wave around me. Then people are more likely to ostracize me. That is bit cruel. If my classmate feels lonely, i would not hesitate to hug that person.

Midnight Sky said:
Drama said:

I have never said that it does?

Drama said:
Midnight Sky said:
Drama said:

You didn't and don't have to. But I had to. It's my birth right.

Seriously though it's harder to do when things remain stagnant despite accepting it. I'm where you are, but you're probably dealing with it a lot better than me.

From what i understand loneliness is always negative. Solitude is the the state of being alone and not being bothered by it.

Midnight Sky said:
Drama said:
Midnight Sky said:
Drama said:

You didn't and don't have to. But I had to. It's my birth right.
dont you dare recite your human rights to me. I've had enough of that at school! :p:p lmao

Rosebolt said:
From what i understand loneliness is always negative. Solitude is the the state of being alone and not being bothered by it.

Exactly, that's how I do understand it too.
Loneliness is the negative term. And enjoying to be alone is called solitude

Some times I like being surrounded by people, just to see and hear someone other than myself, some times I like none arround me, when I get tired of the noise and the faces, but im always alone anyway. So for me loneliness is everything I know, is what I am and how I live my life.

Dexter said:
Exactly, that's how I do understand it too.
Loneliness is the negative term. And enjoying to be alone is called solitude

THE WAY I SEE IT, solitude can have a sub-meaning of 'loneliness.' you cannot always be 'happy in a state of solitude. You cannot always be sad is state of loneliness.
If one has depression then that's another story. They'll just be sad either in a state of loneliness or solitude. *shrug*

Loneliness is always negative. Loneliness isn't the same as solitude or being alone. I often enjoy solitude and I sometimes feel more lonely when I'm with other people than when I'm alone. Loneliness is when you wish there was someone else and there isn't.

Loneliness and solitude are just words. The experience is what is either good or bad.

My opinion.

The feel to be with others or feeling outcasted. The need to have some companionship. I'm a bit lonely rigth now but coming tjis college semester I wont probably anymore . That is if I keep up this positve attitude towards life. Remember if you dont ti be lonely, you have to keep a positive attitude towards life. People like to be around people that make them feel good. Its something I always had but hated for insecure reasons.

so that was a cool poem or whatever in the first post, but I still don't really understand it
Vicente Guedes said:
Loneliness is when you wish there was someone else and there isn't.
Is there something specific beyond that desire? Would you be happy if there was someone there but never saying anything?

Not criticizing, just curious.

Latest posts

Back