Why is school food so bad?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrannySmith111

Reaction score
Why is it that 90% of food served in the school cafeteria unhealthy, horrible tasting, and have small portions?

Food from the school cafeteria is honestly comparable to food served in prisons. It's arguable that some prisons have better food than some schools too.

I've went to schools in the "richest county in america" and the food was still terrible and unhealthy.

Why is it that kids get to eat all this bad food?

It's been a long time since I was in school, but I remember the lunches being pretty good most of the time - the culinary classes would take turns cooking lunch every day, we generally had 3 different choices. Definitely restaurant quality food - OK, maybe not fine dining gourmet stuff, but certainly family-type home-cooked meals.

ringwood said:
It's been a long time since I was in school, but I remember the lunches being pretty good most of the time - the culinary classes would take turns cooking lunch every day, we generally had 3 different choices. Definitely restaurant quality food - OK, maybe not fine dining gourmet stuff, but certainly family-type home-cooked meals.

Which school did you go to? I feel like at my school, they get leftovers from the state penitentiary and reheat them up for the kids

Oh, in Canada...Calgary, Alberta to be precise, but we're talking 20+ years ago...this was just your basic high school, not university or anything. I don't know, maybe it really sucked and I'm remembering it as being good, haha!! It was a while ago.

Boo school canteen food. Children can't learn how to eat proper and healthy like this.

annik said:
Didn't Jamie Oliver solve everything?!

He tried! But then I saw how one of his experiments failed.. and it seems that now, parents really have to start teaching proper eating because it has to start from home. They're not making the right choices even if they know the food is bad for them. :S

It's because most of the time school food is government contracted.

And the lowest bidder always wins.

Latest posts

Back