New year's eve alone

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jovi88

Reaction score
Every year new year's eve always makes me sad. Everyone with someone and i'm by myself. It's so depressing, feel like don't wanna wake up anymore.

I'd be by myself too. Try to take it as any other normal day... and not think so much about what people are doing? Maybe that might help. :\

I'll be by myself watching the Twilight Zone marathon. Like has been previously mention, It's just a normal day. Don't make it into anything more than it is.

I'll be on the site during, so if anyone wants someone to talk to, ill be around :)

Jovi88 said:
Every year new year's eve always makes me sad. Everyone with someone and i'm by myself. It's so depressing, feel like don't wanna wake up anymore.

I agree!

yeah me too. ill probably be alone in my room watching netflix or something feeling lonely as hell. i hate how soon this nye has come around. but yeah ill be alone, again.

No need for any of us to feel alone, we should all come on the site or forum chat and celebrate together :)

I hate New Year's Eve. It always reminds me of just how static and boring my life has become. Another year has passed and I'm no further forward than I was the year before; if I ever end up 'giving up' it will almost definitely be on that day.

It doesn't help that I spend them all on my own, because I tend to drift into my head and focus on all the negatives. I have no idea what I'll do tomorrow night (I spent last year watching a documentary about Nicole Dryburgh), but I just hope it passes with minimal fuss.

I won't be alone, but part of me wishes I were.

I'll be with a close female friend and her mom and maybe a few other members of their family. But to be honest, while I care about these people and I always feel welcomed by them, part of me wants to cancel.

I know I won't cancel, but the urge is there. It's the introvert in me that would rather have a "one-on-one" dinner with my friend to talk about our lives than to intrude on her family time where I'll have to perform small-talk and avoid the fact that I've felt so lonely lately. So, I'll have the "I'm OKAY" mask on, and I hate wearing masks. Specifically, I hate acting like everything is fine when it's not.

I just feel better in a setting where I am 100% comfortable, and I'm really only 100% comfortable with my friend.

I've spent every NYE alone since my early teens. A 'normal day' is bad enough, but this is amped up so much more. There is so much emphasis on going out, having fun, and having that kiss at midnight. Never had friends, so, not like there is anyone to invite over, or go out with. If I go out to one of the public celebrations, I'll just be wandering around for hours and hours, increasingly stumbling and bumping in to drunk people cuddling and kissing, and getting leered and laughed at as if I'm some .... joke (yep, been there several times over the years and this is what always happens). It will be yet another NYE with out even a conversation ....

Look at it this way: New Year's Eve alone has its advantages. Cucuboth's post already revealed a few:
  1. No crowds. Being in a crowd doesn't necessarily break one's solitude, as many here already know.
  2. No drunken fools to deal with (unless it's you). On New Year's or any other special occasion, you get enough people together & there is at least one three-beer Rambo (or Rambette) in the mix. It happens every time.
  3. No having to put up with relatives you can't stand for an entire evening. Gotta love those family reunions! ;)
  4. No nonsense involving a bar unless you choose to go to one. (I might...haven't decided yet.) When you're with friends for New Year's, if they all decide to go someplace then you gotta go with 'em if you wanna hang, even if you don't like the place they're headed for.

Lessee, what else... No significant other means no sexual letdown on New Year's Eve. It's a disappointment anytime but on special occasions it's doubly disappointing.

Thanks for all your replies. I'm glad that there are a lot like me in here. Because in real world it seems that i'm the weirdest person. I don't go to office today and i think my boss is mad at me for not telling him earlier. Cause this new year thing just makes me don't wanna do anything. Just wanna sleep all day.

try not to give up. remember it's only a date - it's there to remind you of the problems in your life, but still, it's not actually different from every other day.
I came out of a relationship very very recently. he left on the 24th, now I'll always remember the date. I plan to spend the evening crying for the most part, but then maybe read a book or watch a movie, make it through the evening and hope tomorrow will be better

I really dont care about the new year. It only gives me the opportunity to reflect on the past year while enjoying a cup of tea and hoping the new year will be better.
I usually stay at home with my family for the new year, and that once time when I tried 'to enjoy it outside' was so annoying to me. So this year I'm staying home with a cup of tea to drinkand many memories to swallow!

Latest posts

Back