lonely and lost

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raindrop

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I have been reading here for a couple of days, and finally decided to join. It seems like a positive place to hear your thoughts, advices and support. I hope that even though this is long someone will read some of it.

This week had been very, very difficult, dark and lonely for me. my boyfriend of 4 years left me, and I'm simply devastated.

We had been living together for more than a year now, moved together to a new city as I was pursuing a degree I wanted in university. He moved with me, very anxiously found a new job. We made plans to leave the country in a few years and seemed very much in sync with what we both wanted in life.
We've had our problems - he tended to take the passive position, and being more experienced, a little older, I made choices but often felt we're lacking real partnership, as he didn't care about much and I sometimes had to do things myself. we argued about cleaning, but I thought he was paying more attention and it's a very common problem anyway.
Often I would want to be active, to get out and meet people, but he mostly wanted to spend his free time home and little by little I stopped offering things we could do together, and little by little I stopped doing many things myself. He even started sounding doubtful about the plan we shared to leave the country, and I wondered if we should simply break up.

His work had been very demanding for him and he started returning home later and later at night, sometimes as late at 9pm several times a week. I felt so lonely and rejected at home, and he seemed frustrated and distant. He eventually confessed he was struggling with depression and had a crush on a girl from work who seemed to prefer the company of other coworkers, and the rejection was weighing on him. things went pretty much downhill from there.
I didn't fear he would act on his crush, or that he was cheating, he's just the sort of very insecure guy who develops an interest quickly. I knew he loved me, too. Trying to support him, I became depressed myself. and we became this cliche of two people growing distant. I would go home and cook and eat by myself, spend the evening by myself and go to sleep an hour after he returned, feeling like I had no place in his life. He wouldn't call during the day or send messages or anything, just the boring bills-and-cleaning talks. sometimes he'd stay up talking to his co-worker and I would get jealous. We had little intimacy. Everything was falling apart.

We talked about breaking up several times in the last few months, wondering if there are things we can work on or not, and I can't help but wondering if I had planted the idea in his mind, saying I prefered living alone than doing all the housework myself and feeling lonely. and a week ago we talked about breaking up, but I didn't actually expect we would, I thought these are all things we can work on.
then he confessed he had been thinking about breaking up for a while now, said he believes it's the right things to do and we'd never be happy together. it was like suddenly we were miles apart and there was nothing to be said anymore. I'm not angry, I just know once one side believes it's over, then it is. and it hurts, physically almost.
It was clear he didn't rush into the decision, he gave it thought and believed it was right. it was also clear when we talked a few days later, that he feels certain in the decision to break up, though he was crying and telling me he wonders if it's all a mistake.

My family took me in as I stopped eating or sleeping or anything at all. When I do sleep I get strange and vivid dark dreams, or dream of escaping. I have support, but feel estranged from everybody. It feels like I'd been killed and now have to stay alive.
I keep telling myself to not want this relationship, that there's nothing to work on with someone who believes that it's over, that he made the right decision for him.
but in my heart I feel we had a good, loving relationship with good communication and wonder if I will ever be able to let it go. I keep imagining him regretting and coming back, hoping I'll have the strength to refuse a comeback on such unstable ground.

I guess there are two main problems.
the first is dealing with life. I gave a presentation on my work today. it was very difficult for me to stand and speak for over 30 minutes, feeling broken inside. It didn't go so well, I could not concentrate. everything is so difficult, like getting out of bed, like showering. I'm even sorry for not following my suicidal thoughts from a few days ago, now I'm too scared, but life doesn't seem to be worth it.

the second is I'm constantly wondering about this relationship. it's the first relationship I had that felt healthy, supporting, loving, etc. I fear that letting go would be a huge mistake though perhaps I'm idealizing something long lost (even when describing the difficulties we've had). I don't know if I'll ever know if it was right or get over it.

Everyone keeps telling me things will get better. but they don't, I feel dead on the inside. he took his things and I'm too broken to move out yet. the apartment feels cold and lonely, more like a tomb than a place where people live.

Sorry to hear of your breakup. I have not been in a relationship but I will try to give my two cents.

When you describe what daily life was like, basically only talking about house chores and seeing each other for such little time each day, it certainly does not come across as if it was a healthy relationship.

There is always a possibility for change and perhaps you will both get back together eventually but it sounds like you very well may need to have a break and properly get your head around the situation.
Personally speaking I do not understand how people let a relationship get to that stage. If a lack of communication began I would genuinely want to ask what was wrong and question why there was a lack of communication and interaction together... It is just not right if you are really that close to the person and you love each other.

If you try and be positive things will get better. One of the ways you can try and be positive and optimistic is to involve yourself in things that you really enjoy doing as an individual. If you do not have anything like this then try and think of activities to do that you will genuinely enjoy and will keep you busy, it could be as simple of looking up things on the internet, downloading movies or books you think are interesting and perhaps even a club or somewhere to go out to do an activity you enjoy.
It is one of those things that can make you dwell in a dark place and so searching out the things you love as an individual can help a lot, it is a healthy thing to do and putting your mind in another place helps to iron out your thoughts when your mind returns to the topic of your lost relationship or other bothers.

:( raindrop *hugs*

I cannot tell you how sorry I am that you are going through this. It must be really painful... words won't describe enough what you're going through, I know it. And not much that anyone can say can really make you feel much better, but I really hope that you hang in there and talk to us here whenever you feel like it.. it's good to let it out at least.

Yes... things eventually do get better with time.. but that's not what you might think right now or should think. I think because the break up is still so raw and fresh.. take some time to just let your feelings and emotions out.. and pamper yourself a bit? Let yourself relax. At least I think that's a good thing to do now, rather than just switching yourself off and moving on with your life. Can't help those feelings inside. :\

Stay strong and hang in there.. it's not easy but we're here to hear you out.

ShybutHi said:
Personally speaking I do not understand how people let a relationship get to that stage. If a lack of communication began I would genuinely want to ask what was wrong and question why there was a lack of communication and interaction together... It is just not right if you are really that close to the person and you love each other.

I can completely understand that. still these things happen so simple, maybe because when you see someone every day it's easy to not notice your communication had changed.
there are many kinds of communication after all. we were talking, but it lacked intimacy. and it takes a while to notice, and if one is angry and hurt it's so difficult to let that aside. but these things don't happen overnight, they happen little by little. I do wonder how it came to be and think back on so many little things

thank you for the kind words ladyforsaken.

last night was the first time I went to the apartment we shared and had to sleep all alone. read your message before bed and thought there is so much kindness out there and if I can't sleep there's the forum, someplace to go to...

Then you learn from this and you'll know what not to do - bottle feelings up etc. Because little negative moments that you leave to bottle up will eventually explode and make it all worse. It's always good to remain open in communication and let your partner know how you feel, be it good or bad, and as soon as it happens, and talk about things calmly. Don't wait to talk to your partner because you might end up not doing it. It's not easy though, I mean I still have trouble talking about my feelings sometimes. It's something I've been working on myself.

raindrop said:
I can completely understand that. still these things happen so simple, maybe because when you see someone every day it's easy to not notice your communication had changed.
there are many kinds of communication after all. we were talking, but it lacked intimacy. and it takes a while to notice, and if one is angry and hurt it's so difficult to let that aside. but these things don't happen overnight, they happen little by little. I do wonder how it came to be and think back on so many little things

Yes that is true there are many ways to go about communication and different kinds, even being comfortable in silence when in each others presence. Bottling feelings up is certainly not a good thing in a relationship. I think a sign something is up is when there is a lack of personal communication, which naturally requires honest communication within the relationship. If there is no communication on this level anymore then I think that is a sign that the bond is breaking or broken.

Although I am sure it probably feels like an impossibility, try and keep positive about the future and think of opportunities optimistically. :) It is a good thing that you got out of a smoldering relationship, a lot of people don't and it can cause them to become very unhappy and very bitter about life.

Latest posts

Back