A nightly ritual (Prose poetry)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siertes

Reaction score
In the evening cool under fading amber light, I stand staring at the sky awaiting the black and its twinkling companions. Pleasant thoughts keep me warm as the late season tries to nestle its way into my body and the first sight of the stars is as sweet a treat for my eyes as a babes first candy.

Far off from the city lights, the unending directionless cacophonies, and the crowds of people no less painful to wade through than a thicket of bramble, I took ownership of this swath of sky. This ritual that had ensnared my nightly attentions felt for my eyes alone, and I grew more and more thankful of it with each partaking.

Of their own accord my eyes begin tracing lines from star to star, shaping the few constellations I knew but I swipe my hands at the view, erasing the imaginary lines and willing away my recollection of such things. Those stars were not birthed to be tied to the shapes and figures of this lone world and it felt insulting to do so. I longed to acknowledge each sparkle, to nod and smile at each one, for fear that my eyes may be the only ones to ever focus on that particular dot of light ever again.

I find comfort in these stars, those varied luminaries that may have no worlds to witness them but ours. Perhaps I simply project my own loneliness upon them, but just the same they are too great to go unnoticed. I wish my thoughts would shine for them as their being does for me, to let them know that in some part of the universe, this lone man on this lone world, saw you and knew you to be beautiful.

I really love this line: Those stars were not birthed to be tied to the shapes and figures of this lone world and it felt insulting to do so.

daughter of the moon said:
I really love this line: Those stars were not birthed to be tied to the shapes and figures of this lone world and it felt insulting to do so.

Thanks :) Always nice to hear when I hit the write note with a line.

Makes me want to go out and be lost in the profound beauty of the night sky and contemplate upon life that is ultimately nothing but stardust that attained consciousness.....

Latest posts

Back