Tips & Advice for My Job Hunt

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladyforsaken

Reaction score
Okay, I'm not sure how much response I'll get from this, but I'll give it a shot anyway, who knows.

I'll be leaving my job at the end of June this year and I'm already starting to worry about finding another job after that.

Also, the current job I'm in was a straight route from this study programme I went through for 4 years - so cos of that, there was no need for me to go through the whole job-hunting process, resume-writing etc. I just had one interview in the beginning before I started the studies for the programme, which was like more than 8 years ago lol. I've been working for close to 5 years now. So I have not gone for an interview ever, but just that one time. So it's quite nerve-wrecking thinking about this.

So. I can do a lot of research online and everything, but it's nothing like hearing someone's experience about the whole process and getting tips and advice about job hunting, resumes and interviews.

Any tips and advice from any of you that I could benefit from?

Like for resumes, what do employers really look at? I know you gotta keep it brief and simple.

Cover letters, is it supposed to be specific for a particular job I'm applying for?

Interviews, how do I prepare myself for that? Do I ask questions or just answer their questions? And if asking questions is a thing in interviews nowadays, what sort of questions do you ask them?
What type of questions will they tend to ask?

Anything else I'd need to take note of?

Thank you. :)

If you do a cover letter, yes it has to be specific to the job you are applying for. Even your resume should be tailor suited for the job unless you are going to apply for the same type of job. Your resume should highlight your best skills and duties that would be most appealing to employers. Don't go all the way back to your very first job, I think I read somewhere once that 10 years is acceptable, unless you've had several jobs in that time. You want to keep the work history to a minimum, you can always outline anything from other jobs in your skills.

Interview, yes it is okay to ask questions, sometimes they will give you the opportunity to ask. You should keep them pertaining to the job. Some will say its okay to ask about wages, personally having been on both sides of the interview, you shouldn't unless the interviewer brings it up. Most of the time they will evaluate you on your skills and interview. If wages come up don't oversell or undersell yourself. Be aware of what minimum wage is.

There is some etiquette to job interviews. First, don't bad mouth your previous employers. It can be hard to do if you ended up having one like my last few. HONESTY. You want to sell yourself in an interview but don't oversell yourself like a used car salesman. You will be found out. Be aware of your weaknesses, sometimes that does get asked, and be honest about them but have a backup on how you get around them.

Dress appropriately for the interview, like if you are going for a job at a law firm, you want to be dressed well, but you wouldn't want to be wearing those same close for an interview like at Walmart. What I was once told is that you dress as if you are already going to work there, it will make you look like you fit right in. Don't be chomping on gum, if you are worried about your breath have a mint before you go in or suck on a breath strip.

Best thing to do, and sometimes the hardest, be confident. If you doubt yourself in the interview or don't think you'll get the job that does come through.

Hope that helps.

^ That's fantastic advice.

Firstly I know its easy to say, but try not to worry. I would say to give you experience apply for plenty. I had about 5 different CV's tailored for different areas of work, like one is for supermarket work where I downplay my accounting skills, and highlight my retail experience.

Interviews, do your research beforehand that might give you some ideas of questions to ask about the place and interviewers like that. Just remember you are just talking to people about yourself, everyone here thinks you're awesome :).

As its been a while, is it work going on some kind of workshop that does this. They have them over here.

Good luck you will be fine :).

Sci's response was perfect. Just a few things to add....

Only be five minutes or so early - HR people are usually VERY busy and the receptionist (if there is one) will thank you. Hang out in your car if you need to, but don't be really early. Don't be LATE. At all - even a minute. I know this is stuff you already know, but from my years (as Sci said) on both sides, these are basics that sometimes people forget.
Good advice from Sci - dress so though you already work there.
Keep your resume short - preferable one page (esp if you don't have several jobs or volunteer work to list). The reason for keeping it short is so the HR person doesn't have to sift through a lot of stuff that doesn't matter to them. They want the "meat and potatoes." Leave out the fluff.

I don't want to make you nervous, but I will tell you this: EVERY single job that I've EVER gotten was not due to my resume. The resume might get you the interview, but it's how you interview that will you get you the job. Every employer I ever asked (after I'd worked there a bit) told me they hired me because I "interviewed well." Im not 100% sure what that means, but I think it's kind of what Sci said about being confident. Smile, eye contact, KNOW the job you're applying for (if you have that information). If you don't have that info, GET IT. You shouldn't have any trouble if you're applying for a job that's in the filed you've been working in or something similar. You might be nervous, but try not to show it. You will likely be given an opportunity to ask questions. As Sci said, don't bring up salary unless they do, BUT - know what the industry general pays for the job you are applying for. If asked what you expect, tell them that you're familiar with what's considered "typical" wages for the job, but you'd be happy to hear what they are offering for the position. That way, they know you know what it "should" pay, but that you aren't "requiring" a specific dollar amount. They also might ask you one of the dumbest questions out there: what is your greatest weakness when it comes to your job. I have no idea how to answer that. :p It's dumb and should be stricken from an interviewer's list of questions. In all the interviews I've done, I've NEVER asked a question so lame, lol. It's pointless and only serves to rattle the person being interviewed. Did I mention it's a dumb question? Yes, I think I might have. :D
If they do give you an opportunity to ask questions, have two or three ready - they want to know that you are interested in more than just what the job pays. A few examples might be... Can you highlight a few of the company's benefits? Or...what are the general working hours? Or perhaps something like...is there room for advancement at some point (if the job allows for such - some jobs don't and you will likely know this going in). Also, you should actually already know the answers to these questions if you've done some research. :p The questions are only to let them know that you are interested.

Just relax as best you can, know the job you're applying for and be polite to the person conducting the interview. They might have had a bad day so try to put them at ease. Try not to look desperate. Make it seem as thought you'd ENJOY working there. Your body language can sometimes make all the difference.
Just remember what I said - your resume will get your foot in the door. Your interview might get you the job. :) Good luck! (hug)

I manage a store and have to interview people a few times a year. Here are some tips in no particular order.
-Resume should only list relevant skills.
-Dress smart at the interview.
-If applicable, turn in an application with your resume.
-Don't answer interview questions the way you think they want you to.
-Try to get the person who is interviewing you to talk more than you. I don't mean sit there silent, turn the interview into a conversation.
-If they are not reading from a script, the interviewer will ask follow-up questions based on your answers so answer in a way that you are prepared to explain.
-KNOW as much as you can about the company you are applying for!

They also might ask you one of the dumbest questions out there: what is your greatest weakness when it comes to your job. I have no idea how to answer that. :p It's dumb and should be stricken from an interviewer's list of questions. In all the interviews I've done, I've NEVER asked a question so lame, lol. It's pointless and only serves to rattle the person being interviewed. Did I mention it's a dumb question? Yes, I think I might have. :D

Lmao. Yes it serves to rattle the person and is a great indicator on how they might behave in a stressful situation. Their answer also reveals how they are as a person, are they arrogant, narcissistic, humble? Wouldn't believe how many people tell me they have no weaknesses in their job. It's a great question and I use it almost every interview ;)

Oh my gosh, thank you so much Sci-Fi, Grace, Eve & Dr. Strangelove! Each of you have provided me with so much more than what I already knew, all very useful information, and it's great to hear from your own personal experiences, it truly helps. Much thanks, guys!

I'm currently doing up my resume. I do so much work for my current job but it's kinda hard putting them down to words, I realise... lol.

Like mentioned before....know the job, but also know something about the company you apply for. Just google them and do some research, like how long have they been around, how did they get their start, do they have a mission statement or company motto. One of the questions I had at a group interview was... what do you know about the company? I was the only one who knew and answered. Doesn't guarantee a job, but it will give you an edge other applicants may have skipped. Also, before you leave get a business card of the person who interviewed you. Send a thank you card to them in the mail. As they mull over who to hire, it shows that you are serious about the job without being over bearing. Personally I only send the thank you card if I really want the job and feel its worth it. Hope this helps a little.

Thank you, dax, those are really good points to consider as well! And yeah, you're right, they could ask those things so I should really get myself prepared. The thank you card sounds interesting, I have not heard of anyone who has done that before so that's cool!

ladyforsaken said:
Thank you, dax, those are really good points to consider as well! And yeah, you're right, they could ask those things so I should really get myself prepared. The thank you card sounds interesting, I have not heard of anyone who has done that before so that's cool!

I've gotten them before after interviewing potential employees.
They can be a good reminder (of you) to the interviewer. Just keep VERY basic though.

EveWasFramed said:
ladyforsaken said:

I've gotten them before after interviewing potential employees.
They can be a good reminder (of you) to the interviewer. Just keep VERY basic though.

All right!

A good trick is to think that you are doing them a favor, they need you, you are exactly what they are looking for, and they should just be so lucky to get you. Without any pride or spite, just matter of fact, it's like a round peg in a round hope. Only, before the interview you have to psyche yourself that you are perfect for the job, and demonstrate it to yourself with proof, that means finding all the connections between your experience and the job/company and being really well prepared, also with regards to the company culture, possibly meeting somebody from the same company, knowing who you are and what you have to give.
A friend of mine did that for three interviews, and got the job on two of them, it could be accidental of course

Peaches, thank you for adding more tips for me, I'll keep them in mind. :)

And dax, I'll post any updates when I do start applying for jobs and start going for interviews. I am just getting prepared for now. Thanks!

dax said:
Don't forget to tell us how it goes :)

Okay, I'm resurrecting this thread because ^.

So. I've been job searching in another country right after I quit my job last June. This was harder for me too because of the language required that I wasn't native or fluent with. But then honeysuckle happened and I had to come back to my home country, and spent 3 weeks searching for a job, sent out loads of applications and 2 interviews came up. One of them didn't really appeal to me, so I didn't bother too much. But as for the other one....

In the span of 3 days, I had my first interview, and then they called me back for a 2nd final one and right after that interview, after they asked me to wait so they could have a meeting with the management, they told me "welcome aboard". That was pretty quick. I truly never expected it.

So I start my new job tomorrow. I was reading through some of my old threads on how I had work anxiety in my previous job and stuff.. wow, those were the days. I never imagined I'd make it this far, to be honest. Thought I would end up dead before the end of June. I hope this will be a better job for me. I honestly don't feel excited or nervous or anything at all. Same with the interviews for this job - I was totally calm and it just felt right. Maybe it was just meant to be, I guess?

That is great :)

ladyforsaken said:
Thought I would end up dead before the end of June. I hope this will be a better job for me. I honestly don't feel excited or nervous or anything at all. Same with the interviews for this job - I was totally calm and it just felt right. Maybe it was just meant to be, I guess?

great news !

ladyforsaken said:
dax said:

So. I've been job searching in another country right after I quit my job last June. This was harder for me too because of the language required that I wasn't native or fluent with. But then honeysuckle happened and I had to come back to my home country, and spent 3 weeks searching for a job, sent out loads of applications and 2 interviews came up. One of them didn't really appeal to me, so I didn't bother too much. But as for the other one....

In the span of 3 days, I had my first interview, and then they called me back for a 2nd final one and right after that interview, after they asked me to wait so they could have a meeting with the management, they told me "welcome aboard". That was pretty quick. I truly never expected it.

So I start my new job tomorrow. I was reading through some of my old threads on how I had work anxiety in my previous job and stuff.. wow, those were the days. I never imagined I'd make it this far, to be honest. Thought I would end up dead before the end of June. I hope this will be a better job for me. I honestly don't feel excited or nervous or anything at all. Same with the interviews for this job - I was totally calm and it just felt right. Maybe it was just meant to be, I guess?

Congratulations on your new job!!! If you don't mind me asking, what is it?

sk66rc said:
ladyforsaken said:
dax said:

Congratulations on your new job!!! If you don't mind me asking, what is it?

+1

Thank you, Minus, LS, sk66rc and Sophia.

It's for the role of senior admin executive. It was pretty cool, the people were nice and really friendly too.

Latest posts

Back