Do you regret being born?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pedestrian

Reaction score
I think it's similar to suicide in a sense but sometimes i wish i was never born, the human survival instinct inside won't let me think of suicidal actions too much.

I wonder if people here regret being born, while i acknowledge that life does have its ups and downs, i feel that the ups are short lived and grasped at like straws, many people will never grasp long lasting joy, but we can grasp short amounts of joy if we are fortunate enough, on the other hands the downs in life can last up to a lifetime, emotional scars that never heal, personality complexes, grief and loss, being terminally ill or knowing somebody that is, seeing others suffer as well can lead to your own suffering, the list goes on!

With no purposeful life, no objective life beside trying to attain ones desires to feed the endorphin addiction we all love, i have to ask; where does suffering get us?

We cry and laugh because it's a natural process of catharsis, but how many people cry every night and continue to be sad, do they regret being born? i know i do...

I implore you as the reader, answer me! i do not ask from a depressive perspective or a philosophical one, i am merely trying to convey my feelings, although history may be sad and messy, my words are something i can pass on because surely i am not the only one who feels like this nor will i be the last.

EDIT: I am disappointed that so little people are willing to face this question, as a forum based on lonely people, i feel lonely within a lonely community, am i misunderstood? or simply ignored?

Please tell me that at one point you've felt depressed because you couldn't figure it all out. Tell me that you've been depressed because you've gone around and around in circles. Tell me that you've been depressed because you've realized that this is a bizarre world with no answers.

Please tell me this, tell me that you've thought and felt. Tell me you aren't all cyborgs. Don't give me a reason to live just tell me if you have or have not ever felt depressed over this absurd situation. Please. This is ridiculous I can't find anybody who's ever felt depressed over this, why is everyone only depressed over stuff made up by society that they don't even know exists. Why don't they care about their meaningless life.

Nope. Though sometimes I wonder if I was born in the wrong time or something similar.

I think I was mostly depressed when I felt that joy was what I needed, and that failure to obtain a default state of joy meant that something was wrong. Of course, there are things still wrong, just not that I haven't obtained "happiness" or have negative emotions.

No, I don't. Sometimes i wish if i were born in a wealthy family in Switzerland or The UK but I love my family so much. I love my mom so much for giving me a life. Life is very rich and there are many people who can make you the happiest person on this planet. Keep trying to find.

There have been times life feels rough and impossible for me, growing up. But no I don't regret being born. I've learned a lot from all the negative stuff that happened, it made me more resilient and stronger.. and I've chosen to see the beauty in life despite still facing the uglies. But yes, I've been depressed, I've wanted to end my life before (but I did not regret being born). I think most of us, go through some of these things at some point in our lives.

Yeah. I mean, why couldn't I be born as her?
1026-jennifer-lopez-eye-makeup_bd.jpg

Plus, she dated ******* Ben Affleck! So, much to be jealous of! Tsk tsk.

But joke aside. No, I don't regret being born at all. I mean, life is hard and unfair & all of that, but I'm not going to hate myself for it. Suffering and pain is just a part of life and everyone experiences that at some point. But, life is also enjoyment and happiness and everyone experiences that at some point too (though it might be a 'lil bit harder for others). Anyway, it's no use to being extra negative and giving into regrets. I mean, if you're human you are going to have something to regret and feel bad for. If you didn't you wouldn't be human. :)

I normally only regret things that happened of my own volition. So no, I don't regret being born. Actually, I like my life with all the happiness, sadness, ugliness, surprises and people I've experienced. I certainly wouldn't trade it for non-existence.
I've had a little quote on my desk for the past 10+ years: Accept the pain, cherish the joys, resolve the regrets, then can come the best of benedictions: If I could, I would do it all over again.

-Teresa

Pedestrian said:
I think it's similar to suicide in a sense but sometimes i wish i was never born, the human survival instinct inside won't let me think of suicidal actions too much.

I wonder if people here regret being born, while i acknowledge that life does have its ups and downs, i feel that the ups are short lived and grasped at like straws, many people will never grasp long lasting joy, but we can grasp short amounts of joy if we are fortunate enough, on the other hands the downs in life can last up to a lifetime, emotional scars that never heal, personality complexes, grief and loss, being terminally ill or knowing somebody that is, seeing others suffer as well can lead to your own suffering, the list goes on!

With no purposeful life, no objective life beside trying to attain ones desires to feed the endorphin addiction we all love, i have to ask; where does suffering get us?

We cry and laugh because it's a natural process of catharsis, but how many people cry every night and continue to be sad, do they regret being born? i know i do...

I implore you as the reader, answer me! i do not ask from a depressive perspective or a philosophical one, i am merely trying to convey my feelings, although history may be sad and messy, my words are something i can pass on because surely i am not the only one who feels like this nor will i be the last.

EDIT: I am disappointed that so little people are willing to face this question, as a forum based on lonely people, i feel lonely within a lonely community, am i misunderstood? or simply ignored?

Please tell me that at one point you've felt depressed because you couldn't figure it all out. Tell me that you've been depressed because you've gone around and around in circles. Tell me that you've been depressed because you've realized that this is a bizarre world with no answers.

Please tell me this, tell me that you've thought and felt. Tell me you aren't all cyborgs. Don't give me a reason to live just tell me if you have or have not ever felt depressed over this absurd situation. Please. This is ridiculous I can't find anybody who's ever felt depressed over this, why is everyone only depressed over stuff made up by society that they don't even know exists. Why don't they care about their meaningless life.

Well I am all alone all the time, sometimes I don't talk or see anyone for months. I am housebound, I have my problems, I have gone through self pity, I saw that was useless, so I do the best I can, I talk to people on the internet as I am doing now, helps for awhile,
but it is not the answer, I go through the pain, I face it and thank God I have times when I am okay and things don't bother me.
Most of my problems were I hated everyone, I blamed them for how I feel, but, I came to the realization that they just don't know any better, that is forgiveness and helps give me peace.
I hope you do the same, perhaps you will also find peace.
Whatever you are going through try to realize if we don't help ourselves who will/
Get yourself a good meditation to ease your stress, there is a good one at FHU.com. It helps me a lot. Try it, what have you got to lose?
Louise

ladyforsaken said:
There have been times life feels rough and impossible for me, growing up. But no I don't regret being born. I've learned a lot from all the negative stuff that happened, it made me more resilient and stronger.. and I've chosen to see the beauty in life despite still facing the uglies. But yes, I've been depressed, I've wanted to end my life before (but I did not regret being born). I think most of us, go through some of these things at some point in our lives.

I agree,
learning from all the negative stuff does make us more resilient and stronger.
Louise

No, I don't regret being born at all, not ever. I do sometimes regret that I wasn't born in a particular place or time, but I am happy that I am here. :)

Yes, I regret being born. I wouldn't want to travel back in time and live my life again. It would be ok if I could go back with the knowledge I have now and change many things, though.

I used to all the time but I'm starting to accept the fact that I'll be single lonely and unloved forever.

I don't regret. Despite everything not going well in my life, I am still grateful to be living in this world. my parents' sacrifices for me from birth up to now are greater than what I've done for them in return so far so there's still a lot i have to do to show them my appreciation. This keeps me going.

i have to ask; where does suffering get us

There is a school of thought that only someone who has suffered can feel true compassion for others, and I think that has some truth in it. It can be quite easy for people who have had a more easy life to get a bit complacent, and not understand the struggles and hardships of others.

Nor does every person who has suffered and survived reach compassion - 'I got over it so why don't you' can be the impatient thought of some.

But suffering can teach us to be stronger - and once we get over our tendency to dwell on our sufferings and feel sorry for ourselves, maybe we can reach out to others with strength - and compassion?

And no, I don't regret being born, I can only regret that which was my choice to make. Being born wasn't one of those choices!

Tiina63 said:
Yes, I regret being born. I wouldn't want to travel back in time and live my life again. It would be ok if I could go back with the knowledge I have now and change many things, though.

There have been a lot of times when I felt like I regret being born. Like if got to choose if someone else could have been born in my stead, I'd let them.

I always felt like if someone else was here in my place, things would be better for everyone. My parents would have a more successful child, my friends would have someone more reliable and outgoing, there might be someone with more ambition in my place helping the world, and so on

I regret not dying in my mom's arms when i had the chance to. I was a baby born and already sick of life i guess LMAO :D

Latest posts

Back