Find new relationships or continue these ones?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peaches

Reaction score
This is drastically pathetic, but if I don't write this here I don't know where else I will ever be able to write it, so here goes:

In the last year I made a real effort to try and deepen friendships with some people I found interesting (aka: intelligent, good hearted, with solid values, into self improvement, funny too but not as a main thing), I basically 'courted' a number of women (men, for some reason, I don't meet many or they just think that I was after them romantically) tried to go out, have chats online, made some phone calls, always, you know, trying not to look desperate or anything. Some of them clearly had enough friends, even if we went along great they weren't interested. Three seemed to have more space in their lives, and we went through similar challenges, so it felt I had 'a lead' on them, you know, maybe someone to trust?
Anyway, as I might have mentioned - because I tend to complain too much - I have pneumonia, and now I have been at home for 39 days. 39 days without one phone call, or one offer of help (two people who I basically don't know offered, but then disappeared).

These two women came to visit socially once each, but then I never received a message 'how are you doing' or anything after that, even after 2 weeks, and also a bunch of other acquaintances were completely silent.
I understand such detachment when it is a chronic illness, most people just don't want to know about that, but pneumonia is temporary, and still no one would help me to go to the hospital etc.

Now I am very depressed but also wondering if I want to still waste time talking to those above mentioned people or if, as I have the blessing to live in a place where you can meet someone new every day, I should just start again from scratch and go out to look for other people who might care if I am alive or dead, because those women clearly don't.

Or is it just that they don't know me enough, one since 2 years and the other since 8 months? I mean, do you have to wait for so long for friendship to develop? If someone I know (and like) and has a problem, if she/he gives the slightest hint of wanting to share and needing some help I am there even if I don't know them that much. If I go to the house of someone who has a life threatening illness I would ask later if they are still around, for sure. Maybe I am weird, to want someone around who cares and whom to care for.

Where do I find equally weird people?

You guys who experienced similar situations (illness, no partner, etc), did you also experience the same reactions from people?

uh, funny, cosmic influences, one of the two just wrote to ask me to go out (!) then when I said I couldn't she didn't ask "can I bring you some medicine, come with you to the hospital", she just commented that pneumonia is a drag, and left the chat - what can I say, wow! by the way, she is not a teenager, she is 40

Tough call, peaches. Maybe they are uncaring, maybe too busy with their lives, or just not as thoughtful a person as you are. I would maybe not dismiss the one who just contacted you, tho. At least think about it, cos she did ask if you wanted help. I am wondering if you had actually asked to bring food (sort of like 'I really would appreciate it if u could find the time to do some shopping for me') if she might have helped that way? Sometimes people just need to be asked. Perhaps she thinks u r being taken care of?

Hi Peaches, I am in a similar position to you and what you say echoes some of my experiences.
I often think that, because many people have strong support networks, they tend to assume that everyone else they know has one as well. The two women who came to see you once probably assumed that you would have others far closer to you to help you out and that, by calling in to see you once, they had shown care and concern and that others closer to you would be your real sources of support. This does hurt, but I think it does reflect that many people do not know how lonely and alone others can be.
When I had my brain aneurysm just over a year ago I had little support. It did hurt a lot, being and feeling so alone. I think that most people who know me only as an aquiantance probably did think I would have others far closer to help out.
It's a different thing, but when I mentioned at the reading group I go to that I was alone at Christmas, three of them were totally shocked. They had assumed I would have been with friends.
Unless we are very elderly, noone thinks that we could be so alone.
Your trying to build new friendships is a good thing to do, even if it hasn't borne the fruit you hoped it would just yet. Keep going and hopefully one day you will meet people you can be truly close to. I am doing the same thing this year-let's wish each other good luck.

Hi Tiina, thank you for the elaborate answer, very sorry to hear about your aneurism :(
I am not sure about what you say, that they simply don't imagine that you could be so lonely, because with these people I wanted you know a friendship so I made sure to introduce the topic of my loneliness, even if shortly, so it's not like they didn't know about it.
Usually, to make it less pathetic, I say that I had two best friends in this country and they both had babies and disappeared (which is kind of true, only now the 'babies' are 2, 3 years old) to justify my lack of a support network. Also if you are a foreigner in a new country, is more understandable to need a support network.
I just think that most people just don't care and don't think about it until it is their turn to be sick, and not just about me but about everyone except for their best friend or something, and those do not want to be *my* bestie.

Some hours ago I found this quote:

quote-friends-are-like_17533-1.png

so I guess there are still another 65 melons to go, at least

PS I know we don't have a lot in common, but if there is something that I can do for you remotely (from another country), please feel free to ask :)

and good luck

Peaches, I don't get it myself. When I got diagnosed with cancer, my friends or even family (my siblings) didn't ask much about it. I used to wonder if it's cos they just don't care, or they don't know how to react to my situation. It would've been nice to have them ask about what I was going through or how I was feeling. But I went through it mostly alone, with the support of my friends from this forum.

If I was nearer to you, Peaches, I'd totally wanna be your bestie and help you out, in any way possible that would be helpful to you. It's the least good thing I think I can do to someone good like you. *hugs*

Peaches said:
This is drastically pathetic, but if I don't write this here I don't know where else I will ever be able to write it, so here goes:

In the last year I made a real effort to try and deepen friendships with some people I found interesting (aka: intelligent, good hearted, with solid values, into self improvement, funny too but not as a main thing), I basically 'courted' a number of women (men, for some reason, I don't meet many or they just think that I was after them romantically) tried to go out, have chats online, made some phone calls, always, you know, trying not to look desperate or anything. Some of them clearly had enough friends, even if we went along great they weren't interested. Three seemed to have more space in their lives, and we went through similar challenges, so it felt I had 'a lead' on them, you know, maybe someone to trust?
Anyway, as I might have mentioned - because I tend to complain too much - I have pneumonia, and now I have been at home for 39 days. 39 days without one phone call, or one offer of help (two people who I basically don't know offered, but then disappeared).

These two women came to visit socially once each, but then I never received a message 'how are you doing' or anything after that, even after 2 weeks, and also a bunch of other acquaintances were completely silent.
I understand such detachment when it is a chronic illness, most people just don't want to know about that, but pneumonia is temporary, and still no one would help me to go to the hospital etc.

Now I am very depressed but also wondering if I want to still waste time talking to those above mentioned people or if, as I have the blessing to live in a place where you can meet someone new every day, I should just start again from scratch and go out to look for other people who might care if I am alive or dead, because those women clearly don't.

Or is it just that they don't know me enough, one since 2 years and the other since 8 months? I mean, do you have to wait for so long for friendship to develop? If someone I know (and like) and has a problem, if she/he gives the slightest hint of wanting to share and needing some help I am there even if I don't know them that much. If I go to the house of someone who has a life threatening illness I would ask later if they are still around, for sure. Maybe I am weird, to want someone around who cares and whom to care for.

You guys who experienced similar situations (illness, no partner, etc), did you also experience the same reactions from people?

uh, funny, cosmic influences, one of the two just wrote to ask me to go out (!) then when I said I couldn't she didn't ask "can I bring you some medicine, come with you to the hospital", she just commented that pneumonia is a drag, and left the chat - what can I say, wow! by the way, she is not a teenager, she is 40

Sorry this has happened to you. I think when something goes wrong you do find out who your real friends are. I hope you get over your illness quickly and find some caring friends you deserve !

Unfortunately only you can answer that question since you know the women in question, whether they seem worthwhile. It's quite unnerving when people you thought you were fairly close to don't seem to care about your welfare in the slightest. But good friends, those that do care are rare. Very rare. When my mother passed away only two friends even asked me about it, and only a couple hers stayed in contact when her condition was deteriorating.

I'd say keep in touch but be reconciled to the possibility that they might be the type to have a laugh and socialize with rather than anything more meaningful.

ladyforsaken said:
Peaches, I don't get it myself. When I got diagnosed with cancer, my friends or even family (my siblings) didn't ask much about it. I used to wonder if it's cos they just don't care, or they don't know how to react to my situation. It would've been nice to have them ask about what I was going through or how I was feeling. But I went through it mostly alone, with the support of my friends from this forum.

If I was nearer to you, Peaches, I'd totally wanna be your bestie and help you out, in any way possible that would be helpful to you. It's the least good thing I think I can do to someone good like you. *hugs*

thank you dear Lady *hugs*
about your friends: did they came around when you overcame your illness? Did you notice if you felt colder towards them after the experience, or if they were more detached?

ardour said:
Unfortunately only you can answer that question since you know the women in question, whether they seem worthwhile. It's quite unnerving when people you thought you were fairly close to don't seem to care about your welfare in the slightest. But good friends, those that do care are rare. Very rare. When my mother passed away only two friends even asked me about it, and only a couple hers stayed in contact when her condition was deteriorating.

I'd say keep in touch but be reconciled to the possibility that they might be the type to have a laugh and socialize with rather than anything more meaningful.

well, thing is, I have limited time on my hands, and as someone with close to no family I really really need the meaningful kind of friends, so I want to invest my energy in that kind of people. I am not saying that I won't speak to those women again, just that I will give priority to other people. I will always be ready to help them, but not only they don't help me but they don't want help either, so, here it goes, easy.

Peaches said:
thank you dear Lady *hugs*
about your friends: did they came around when you overcame your illness? Did you notice if you felt colder towards them after the experience, or if they were more detached?

Yeah, most of them were more detached, but I also think I started detaching from them too because I felt like they didn't really care.. so I thought, I guess I'll go my way then. I wasn't colder to them, I just felt like just cos I'm different now, people don't really wanna be around me. Maybe they're afraid to hurt me? Who knows. But I'm pretty sure they should know how to care or show care. *shrugs* There were a few who sent me cards and wrote some words of support, and then they disappear lol. I don't know what to think of that, I'm thankful for the thought at least.

Now, that I'm better, most of them are all pretty distant from me. I don't see us getting close again. Oh well.

Peaches said:

My answer is it is a difficult choice to make.It depends purely on one's nature.

Hi Peaches, I hadn't realised that you had told those two women about how lonely you are. In that case, they could have done more to support you. I had thought that your connection with them had been more on the level of small talk friendliness only, the way that mine is most of the people I meet in the French group I go to.
I agree that you should look elsewhere for the deeper friendships which you want and need as these two women don't seem to want that deep a friendship or connection with you. (It is their loss, not yours). It is hard to find someone who will go the extra mile, who will truly be there for you, as you would be for him or her. Someone you can laugh and also cry with, and who will be on your side.
If there is anything I can do for you as well, please just ask.
ladyforsaken, if I had been with you when you got cancer, I would have listened to you. I had it 19 years ago, so could have empathised with you as a former fellow traveller. It sounds to me that your friends and family probably didn't know how to help-they might have been scared of saying the 'wrong thing.'

Tiina63 said:
ladyforsaken, if I had been with you when you got cancer, I would have listened to you. I had it 19 years ago, so could have empathised with you as a former fellow traveller. It sounds to me that your friends and family probably didn't know how to help-they might have been scared of saying the 'wrong thing.'

Aww thank you, Tiina.

I figured so too.. so I don't really hold anything against them. Just would've been nice to talk about it with someone you call "family". But thanks again. :)

Latest posts

Back