I found support/closure for my daddy issues in unexpected places

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Some_Bloke72

If you know me (unlikely as I only recently joined this place :p ) then you'll know that for my entire life I have had serious daddy issues.

It wasn't so much a case of the almost cliche' "he was never there" but rather "he was very rarely there and when he was he was an abusive ****"

Both physically and mentally, I might add. My parents divorced when I was 13 and would have divorced sooner had a false report been filed against my mother. Had she left him then and there (as she'd planned on doing) my former father (as I call him) would have gained full custody of myself and my sister, and my mother being a nice lady didn't want that for us and so put up with the ******* for another few years until the report was dropped and she had the money.

Up until 2013 I stayed at his house sometimes, then eventually he did something that really crossed the line and I left forever. In short he got drunk (surprise surprise) and ranted about my father figure (my grandfather, who had died the year before)

Moving on. Even after I left I had this need for closure but when when James Avery died (better known as Uncle Phil) they were showing some of his best moments I came across this video:

I rarely watched The Fresh Prince as I was growing up and now I regret it. Had I watched this episode a long time ago maybe I would have moved out and stayed with my mother full-time in 2013 or not had the need for closure that ate me up for years.

I looked over this clip multiple and spotted a lot similarities, during Will's rant he says all the things he's done without his father, and most of them are true in my case as well.

I learnt how to shave and fight without him and there were several birthday's where he didn't turn up and didn't send a card.
I'm going to learn how to drive pretty soon and I'm almost through college. So yeah, this clip is really similar.

And it helps, I guess when you relate to fictional characters and feel similar pain.

"I didn't need him then and I don't need him now"

Again, relatable in my attitude. That's how I feel. In my childhood he was a c**t, in modern day he's a c**t, in the future he'll be a c**t and in multiple alternate universes he's also a c**t.

In short. He's a c**t and like all things he will die at some stage and when he does he will still be a c**t.

Whereas, I won't be a c**t.

But this is not where this "story" ends, for there is another character who helped me cope with daddy issues and while I was a lot younger. It wasn't until years later when I realized this, though.

[img=300x300]http://static4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120331014218/teentitans/images/7/71/RavenMainPic.jpg[/img]

I loved this show (Teen Titans, in case you're wondering) as a kid, as much as I loved the animated Batman series and the character of Raven was my favorite character

In short, Raven had serious daddy issues too. Her father being a powerful demon named Trigon who was an antagonist on the show. In a two-part episode he arrives on Earth using Raven to generate a portal. Before this he appeared in several other episodes, including one set inside Raven's mind. On both occasions Raven stood up to her father and defeated him. The time that he arrived on Earth she spoke about her friends being her real family and how Trigon wasn't her father because he never cared about her or loved her.

This post is more of a statement if anything else. Support and closure can come from the places we least expect, so if you're in need of support or closure keep your eyes peeled and you might be pleasantly surprised :)

Latest posts

Back