I spent the day at work crying at my desk. I feel alone.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SofiasMami

Reaction score
After living in the same home for 11 years, I moved in October to a rental house in a better neighborhood. The property owner emailed me last night and said he wants to sell the house. So I now I have to move again. The idea of moving again is so overwhelming I just want to lie down and not get up.
I've already started looking for a new place and have 2 appointments tomorrow. But the owner where I'm living is being squirrely and saying he prefers I move in April or May because it will be easier for him to stage the home for selling at that time.
The thing is, I signed a one year lease. The owner said of course it's fine if I choose to stay until October but I feel why delay the inevitable.
So I'm stuck in a limbo - do I wait around a few months and let good rentals pass me by or go for it now and risk a dispute with future rental payments.
The property manager says the whole thing is unorthodox but suggested I give 30 day notice when I decide to leave no matter what.
My daughter was quite upset when I told her we would have to move again.
We both want to live in a house and not an apartment. But what if we get another house and the same thing happen? I just don't know what to do.
:(
I feel alone and helpless :(

-Teresa

Sorry to hear you have to go through this, moving is horrible and horrible, please take care of yourself!
On this note, this landlord seems a bit demanding, first he wants you out and then he wants to decide when you should move, I don't know where you live but aren't any (free) legal advisors who could advise you? Do you have a contract? And for the next house: do they have other kinds of rental agreements, like 2+2 or something, for people with a family who can't move around all the time?
About waiting: perhaps even if you really want to move and get settled you can take a month mental holiday from this to get the strength to move again? Last year I moved 3 times in 4 months, it was the horror.

Awwww, T. :( (((((hugs)))))

If the landlord will let you leave early (since he wants to sell the place, he shouldn't have an issue with that) I'd suggest moving sooner, rather than later. I'd also get the owner to put it in writing that he wants to sell the home and that you will be allowed to end your lease early. If not, he can certainly come after you for breach of your agreement.
If he refuses to cooperate (as long as there are no clauses in your rental agreement which allow him to end the lease early) then I'd suggest staying until the lease is up simply so you can get your head wrapped around having to move again.
I'm sure the leasing agent might be able to give you at least a little advice. They may also be able to get the homeowner to cooperate, considering they are the ones managing the property - I'm sure they'd not want to get a reputation for their homeowners putting the homes on the market so soon after they lease them. These kinds of things are what finally made me take the plunge into homeownership again.
I wish I could be of more help. :( As a single parent myself, and having rented for about two years after my marriage ended, I can understand the position you're in.
For the record, I think the homeowner is a jerk.
Talk to the leasing agent and see what he/she has to say.

Good luck. (((hugs)))

That's the risk you take renting a house, you never know what the owner will do. Have you talked to him about letting you out of the lease early since he is planning on selling it? If the two of you can come to an agreement in writing, that lets you out of the lease without penalties then you'll have no problems. That would be the decent thing for him to do. If not, then just stay there until your lease is up. An apartment isn't so bad though, there's the extra security and safety. I get the appeal of a home, space from neighbours, a yard, but living in an apartment might help you to save some money up to buy your own home maybe. Just a thought.

HUGS

OK, dry the tears up, get some sleep, and tomorrow look online in your area for rental laws.

Do not exchange information verbally, stick with emails between you and the landlord, you might have to rely on them later.

There's a very good chance that your having a contract supersedes all- renters often have more rights then landlords.

I bought a house about ten years ago that had a tenant. I'd been told she'd been given notice but discovered the hard way that her lease that she'd signed with the previous owner meant that when I took possession I had to give 90 days notice. It may be the same for you- don't get yourself in a rush to get out because you're hurting- LEARN YOUR RIGHTS.

If the landlord want you out that quickly (supposedly for staging) he may already have a buyer lined up. It couldn't hurt for you to to make a proposal all that if he wants to break the CONTRACT early that an incentive such as his paying for moving costs (meaning you hire a mover to do EVERYTHING) and a guarantee of full damage deposit return immediately after moving would provide you with incentive. If he doesn't agree indicate you're happy where you are until the lease expires and TAKE YOUR TIME. If I was wanting to sell that badly I'd seriously consider an offer like that- moving a house in the spring is far easier than late fall/early winter, November-February suck for selling!

Incidentally, I wasn't upset with the tenant I'd inherited but the previous owner quickly agreed to pay legal fees simply because he'd lied on our paperwork and my lawyer made it very clear we were not only going to walk on the deal but also sue for misrepresentation....I had to wait 90 days to do my renos (which involved getting rid of the suite) but having my legal fees more than made up for it.

Good luck, don't be hasty, and LEARN YOUR RIGHTS!

Thanks for your kind words. I can't even contemplate things right now without bawling. Hopefully I can calm down a little before making some decisions.
Yes, we are under contract. He put it in writing that he's willing to breach it in his emails, which I need to print out and save!
The property manager isn't happy either as he's also under contract with her.
I agree with leaving sooner rather than later and I told him that's my preference.
I think it's a good idea to ask about a longer lease next go-around, I might try that. Most property owners here want a one year lease then they go month to month.
All I can do is hope that I'll feel better tomorrow and keep it together for my daughter :(

-Teresa

WildernessWildChild said:
OK, dry the tears up, get some sleep, and tomorrow look online in your area for rental laws.

Do not exchange information verbally, stick with emails between you and the landlord, you might have to rely on them later.

There's a very good chance that your having a contract supersedes all- renters often have more rights then landlords.

I bought a house about ten years ago that had a tenant. I'd been told she'd been given notice but discovered the hard way that her lease that she'd signed with the previous owner meant that when I took possession I had to give 90 days notice. It may be the same for you- don't get yourself in a rush to get out because you're hurting- LEARN YOUR RIGHTS.

If the landlord want you out that quickly (supposedly for staging) he may already have a buyer lined up. It couldn't hurt for you to to make a proposal all that if he wants to break the CONTRACT early that an incentive such as his paying for moving costs (meaning you hire a mover to do EVERYTHING) and a guarantee of full damage deposit return immediately after moving would provide you with incentive. If he doesn't agree indicate you're happy where you are until the lease expires and TAKE YOUR TIME. If I was wanting to sell that badly I'd seriously consider an offer like that- moving a house in the spring is far easier than late fall/early winter, November-February suck for selling!

Incidentally, I wasn't upset with the tenant I'd inherited but the previous owner quickly agreed to pay legal fees simply because he'd lied on our paperwork and my lawyer made it very clear we were not only going to walk on the deal but also sue for misrepresentation....I had to wait 90 days to do my renos (which involved getting rid of the suite) but having my legal fees more than made up for it.

Thanks, Wilderness, I need a person on my side here. That's why I feel alone. Maybe I'll print out your post and use it as a script!

-Teresa

SofiasMami said:
Thanks for your kind words. I can't even contemplate things right now without bawling. Hopefully I can calm down a little before making some decisions.
Yes, we are under contract. He put it in writing that he's willing to breach it in his emails, which I need to print out and save!
I agree with leaving sooner rather than later and I told him that's my preference.
I think it's a good idea to ask about a longer lease next go-around, I might try that. Most property owners here want a one year lease then they go month to month.
All I can do is hope that I'll feel better tomorrow and keep it together for my daughter :(

-Teresa

Thanks, Wilderness, I need a person on my side here. That's why I feel alone. Maybe I'll print out your post and use it as a script!

-Teresa

Wish I was there to help you Sunshine, I love this kind of s**t.

SofiasMami said:

-Teresa
Life as a way of throwing this kind of Sh*t at us and all we can do is deal with the best we can. That being said here are some of my thoughts on the situation: (no particular order and much of it has been said already)
-I understand you wanting a longer lease the next time around. Just remember though that it applies to the property owner and YOU. So if you move into a place and 2 months later some crappy neighbors move in you're gonna have a long time to wait (22 months) to leave without breaking the lease. If you go this route try to make sure the lease has a reasonable escape clause.
-Although you made it clear you want to leave the sooner the better just remember that you are under no obligation to leave before the lease expires unless there is a clause in the lease that says the owner can terminate it sooner (Not even sure if that would be legal in California anyway though)
-If you and the owner come to an agreement that you will leave by a certain date be sure to still give your 30 day notice and cite the reason.
-TAKE PHOTOS WHEN YOU LEAVE! Document all damages. Fix damages if any before you leave.
-Have you thought about buying?

Anyway, if you ever find yourself in the Monterey Bay area and are looking for a place let me know :p Been thinking about renting my condo out for a while now. Best of luck to you.

Well, your landlord sounds like a right piece of work, but if you can legally milk the legal situation for what you can get I think you should, as WWC says

If the landlord want you out that quickly (supposedly for staging) he may already have a buyer lined up. It couldn't hurt for you to to make a proposal all that if he wants to break the CONTRACT early that an incentive such as his paying for moving costs (meaning you hire a mover to do EVERYTHING) and a guarantee of full damage deposit return immediately after moving would provide you with incentive.

If you have made up your mind to leave early anyway, try making that proposal and see what the landlord says, it will be a help to you both financially and possible emotionally, to know you have got the best out of a shoddy situation!

-
Dr Strangelove cautions TAKE PHOTOS WHEN YOU LEAVE! Document all damages. Fix damages if any before you leave.

Very sensible. If the property manager and/or landlord want to wring more money out of you this way, you need to be protected.

I have owned property since I was 22 - and I bought both my ex's out when we divorced in order to stay on the property ladder, even though in the beginning I had to rent out a room to pay the enormous hike in the mortgage. Which is something you could think about if you decide to buy but are worried about the cost? I enjoyed the company actually, and advertised it on my work noticeboard, so I got people who would be reliable.

But I had to rent once, when the apartment I lived in suffered damage, and several of us in the property had to move out while it was repaired. The insurance company paid for this, - but not for any damages. The landlord turned out to be a shark who charged someone a couple of hundred quid for repainting a whole room, to cover a small coffee stain that had splashed on a wall. She paid up because she didn't want to make a fuss.

I fixed a couple of things that needed doing, then got an independent appraiser to go over the apartment. They noted any problems, so that there couldn't be any disagreement whatsoever. It didn't cost a fortune, and stopped any disagreements before they started. If there is something like that where you are, it might be worth considering.

And good luck to you, I am sure that once the shock has worn off you will cope with all of this. But take it easy on yourself, moving is stressful and if you can get any help, ask for it - don't try and tough it out feeling alone.

I know what it's like to keep renting and move a lot, went through it for most of my life so I feel you. :\ *hugs* stay strong and keep on.

It looks like you've had some very good advise, so theres not much more I can add other than I hope things sort out for you and hopefully you'll end up better off in a nice home maybe?

Hugs.

WWC's comment here is the sort of thing I'd agree with. My only thing to add (although I feel WWC's comment has covered it, as well as Eve's) is to get everything in writing! I've heard too many cases where landlords are slimey bastards in they say one thing, do another. What they say, or do over a phone, is not legally valid because it cannot be proven (unless you opt to record it, but recording without consent can invoke privacy laws).

So, tell him to put it in writing. Demand everything in writing. What they don't put in writing isn't valid (read very carefully what they write: what they write may be different from what they said).

Ask him to put in writing that he won't chase you up for payment if you decide to leave early. As per WWC's comment, gently remind him if you cannot be assured of this, then you cannot leave early.

Direct the sadness, if you can, into a sense of injustice (not anger, anger is non-constructive), in sense you're being wronged (the landlord agreed a year and now he's trying to break/speed up his agreement which means he's disgenuine at the very least). That should give you the motivational power to start poking around.

If you have any friends or acquaintances with legal knowledge, it might be an idea to ask them for some free advice on either the situation or rental laws in general (of course, take it with a pinch of salt because opinions can differ from reality).

Also, entirely optional, keep a couple of veiled legal threats up your sleeve (I'm sure there are some laws about landlords trying to early terminate their contract via pressure and that pressure could be deemed as harassment). Don't use them unless you feel the landlord is becoming uncooperative (remember, he put you in that position, not you).

But I'd say go with WWC's comment. Maybe you can keep us updated and informed and WWC could offer guidance?

The more I think about it, the more I believe the property owner had no intention of having a renter in for any length of time. I think he was just looking for someone to babysit the house until spring/ summer then list the house for sale. He and his wife retired and moved to Mexico (they're American).
After many discussions with friends and reading your posts over the past 2 days, I sent him a short email that I am riding out the lease. It expires on Oct. 3. I will start looking in the summer but not till July 1 at the earliest because I'll be traveling in June.
He said he wants to list the house in May and hopefully close a sale in June or July. He's dreaming though. I don't see that happening. I am going to take my good old time looking. If it takes me until Oct. 3 to move, so be it.
The property manager told me about my rights as a renter when the property is for sale and there's no unfettered access by every Tom, Dick or Harry while the renter is there. They even have to ask the renter for permission to have the realtor's lockbox on the front door (I say hell no to that). I think they are going to have a hard time getting any offers while a renter still occupies the property on a lease.

I am also a property owner. I bought a condo (also called an apartment for our European friends :) ) 11 years ago. The neighborhood went way downhill over the past 4-5 years. A guy was stabbed in broad daylight while walking his dog last July.
Most of my neighbors foreclosed or did short sales when the market took a dump and I was almost the last owner-occupant left. Most everyone else there is now renting. So I moved in October and now renting it out. I want to sell but still about $15k underwater so I have to wait.

Thank you everyone for listening to my problems :) xxxooo

-Teresa

SofiasMami said:
The more I think about it, the more I believe the property owner had no intention of having a renter in for any length of time. I think he was just looking for someone to babysit the house until spring/ summer then list the house for sale. He and his wife retired and moved to Mexico (they're American).
After many discussions with friends and reading your posts over the past 2 days, I sent him a short email that I am riding out the lease. It expires on Oct. 3. I will start looking in the summer but not till July 1 at the earliest because I'll be traveling in June.
He said he wants to list the house in May and hopefully close a sale in June or July. He's dreaming though. I don't see that happening. I am going to take my good old time looking. If it takes me until Oct. 3 to move, so be it.
The property manager told me about my rights as a renter when the property is for sale and there's no unfettered access by every Tom, Dick or Harry while the renter is there. They even have to ask the renter for permission to have the realtor's lockbox on the front door (I say hell no to that). I think they are going to have a hard time getting any offers while a renter still occupies the property on a lease.

I am also a property owner. I bought a condo (also called an apartment for our European friends :) ) 11 years ago. The neighborhood went way downhill over the past 4-5 years. A guy was stabbed in broad daylight while walking his dog last July.
Most of my neighbors foreclosed or did short sales when the market took a dump and I was almost the last owner-occupant left. Most everyone else there is now renting. So I moved in October and now renting it out. I want to sell but still about $15k underwater so I have to wait.

Thank you everyone for listening to my problems :) xxxooo

-Teresa

Simply put- Yay You! I'm impressed.

SofiasMami said:
Thanks, H. :)
I think as long as I'm providing a stable home for my daughter, things will be ok.

-Teresa

Your username alone indicates your #1 priority in your life, that was the biggest motivation for my response- that and I hate seeing people screwed over. I'm pretty much able to accept anything provided Kid feels safe, stable, and secure.

Im glad you have more information now, T. It was obvious that you were really stressing over this.
I know it sucks that you have to move again, but at least you have plenty of time to look around.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

As for the homeowner...well, I know this voodoo priestess down in Bayou La Batre....

SofiasMami said:
After living in the same home for 11 years, I moved in October to a rental house in a better neighborhood. The property owner emailed me last night and said he wants to sell the house. So I now I have to move again. The idea of moving again is so overwhelming I just want to lie down and not get up.
I've already started looking for a new place and have 2 appointments tomorrow. But the owner where I'm living is being squirrely and saying he prefers I move in April or May because it will be easier for him to stage the home for selling at that time.
The thing is, I signed a one year lease. The owner said of course it's fine if I choose to stay until October but I feel why delay the inevitable.
So I'm stuck in a limbo - do I wait around a few months and let good rentals pass me by or go for it now and risk a dispute with future rental payments.
The property manager says the whole thing is unorthodox but suggested I give 30 day notice when I decide to leave no matter what.
My daughter was quite upset when I told her we would have to move again.
We both want to live in a house and not an apartment. But what if we get another house and the same thing happen? I just don't know what to do.
:(
I feel alone and helpless :(

-Teresa

I went through this whole situation not long ago, as the kid though. Moving sucks. You have to leave everything behind.

I had to move because of a divorce. The house was to be sold, that was in the final agreement or whatever. Instead of waiting until the last minute, my mom went out and got an apartment for us to move to.

Living in an apartment is not ideal. But what can you do? Buying a house isn't an easy task. I went from a nice single house to an apartment in a matter of days. I was only in middle school back then too. It was DEVASTATING for me. I had to leave behind the close knit group of friends I always hungout with. The apartment was smaller than what I was used to. Everything seemed to just go downhill from there.

After a year, we moved again to another apartment. The one i live in right now. This one is even smaller than the previous one lol. We didn't plan for the move very well, because my mom was devastated to find out that this apartment was smaller than expected.

After a couple months though, I can tell you that I've gotten used to it. No matter where you end up, a mansion, apartment, another rented house, time will force you to adapt. It will be devastating for your daughter at first, but no matter what happens she's gonna have to get used to it. A month, two months, a year from now, everything will be fine wherever you end up.

I suggest you start looking for places now. Whether you choose an apartment or a house is up to you. Stay in the area so your daughter can go to the same school if you can. Make sure its affordable and what not. You have time until October. Don't spend this time sitting there and enjoying your last moments in this house. Keep looking for the most ideal place for you to move to.

If you do move to another house, be prepared for the same thing to happen again. Nothing ever seems to be certain when you are renting a house or an apartment. You might move again next year for all I know. Just know that everything will be fine for you and your daughter. You have until October.

Don't forget to take into account moving costs and what not. We were lucky on our second move to this apartment to find two guys who were willing to move everything for cheap.

Edit: Saw all the legal advice everyone is giving you. If this is the first time you're going through this kind of stuff, it can be scary. I still remember when I had to help my mom with all the legal stuff during the divorce because she didn't know english well. Boy was it scary.

I'm only in high school, but here's my advice for you here. Get everything in writing like everyone else said. Start learning rental laws in your area.

Be careful of hiring legal counselors, laywers, and whatever. I'm willing to bet some of these lawyers are sneakier than your landlord. At the end of the day, they're a business basically. Every hour you talk to them its just $$$ that adds up.

Try to avoid the legal mess that could come with this. Again, it will all seem scary at first but once you get out of this mess, you'll have some experience with you the next time you rent and it happens again.

Latest posts

Back