Loneliness more likely to kill you than being fat

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well there's an uplifting start to the day....

(Try not to take the Mail too seriously guys... it doesn't really qualify as journalism for most people.)

if that is true I should have been dead since a while - and what's wrong with moving to be in the sun?

The thing is, that losing weight can be done by yourself. In a lot of ways it is easier. Eat less calories, and exercise more. You are guaranteed to lose weight.

But loneliness requires other people. You can go out and meet people. You can make sure you're always surrounded. But the scary thing is it is "possible" that you try everything you can and you're still lonely.

lostatsea said:
But the scary thing is it is "possible" that you try everything you can and you're still lonely.

this is where someone says "there are no guarantees in life"

I hope that it is true that my loneliness means I will die earlier than I would if I were not lonely, because loneliness is so painful that I don't want to be here till old age.

We all have to go sometime.

Personally, I think I've lived long enough already.

Tiina63 said:
I hope that it is true that my loneliness means I will die earlier than I would if I were not lonely, because loneliness is so painful that I don't want to be here till old age.

I don't consider myself a fearful person but being a lonely old man in a wheelchair with a blanket across my knees is a very scary thought.

Loneliness sucks. I cry almost every day and the thought of it continuing into old age definitely scares me. You know what? Fight it. Even if loneliness is something you have to live with for a long time, just don't take it without fighting. I'm going to get out and about as much as I can, whether I go out with friends or by myself does not matter because if you get out of your house your chances of meeting people are somewhat higher, if you stay home your chances are slim to none. They're just not going to come and knock on your door.

I have decided to label myself a tourist. I got into a conversation with a friendly stranger today at the bus stop on my way home from work. He was telling me about the large number of tourists there are in San Diego. I said "I'm tourist." He said 'Where are you from?" I said "San Diego." You see, I am tourist in my own home town.

I've been thinking about volunteering but I'm thinking something like once a month. I'm busy and wouldn't be OK with a weekly commitment.

alonewith2cats i like your idea about getting out as much as you can even if its to the local shop to buy a lottery ticket you have more chance to meet someone or even just a little human contact than if you buy your ticket on line

archy said:
alonewith2cats i like your idea about getting out as much as you can even if its to the local shop to buy a lottery ticket you have more chance to meet someone or even just a little human contact than if you buy your ticket on line

Thank you. It's true.

I don't mean to be a kill joy and this is just my experience but I worked retail for over 10yrs and I prayed to God almost every day to have someone walk through those doors that I could connect with. Lover, friend, running partner, crib partner, I would even buy a dog so we could run our dogs together (I was that desperate) but just anyone to hang out with. And in 10yrs no one. I mean, I talked to hundreds of people daily, it was a very busy bakery and who isn't in a good mood when shopping in a bakery?
All the regulars thought I was a 'happy young man' ( not that I'm young) but that was my work face, happy, helpful, in a great mood and still no one to connect with.

Have to say that eating ... which leads to being fat ... took the edge off being lonely. Like I wasn't lonely 100% of the time, more like 75%.

I will not take this news too seriously, because they always will find new things that make you die ''faster''. But I still think that this research has some point of truth in it.

Latest posts

Back