I was bullied online

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

WallflowerGirl83

Does anyone else ever feel like they're being stalked online? Like people who have watched you online, harassed you and sent you creepy messages? Sometimes I can't seem to wrap my head around this but this has happened to me recently and I'm wondering what is their motive behind this? Why would they go through all the trouble of stalking me and trying to make me feel horrible about myself? If this has happened to you, what ended up happening in the long run? There's so much bullying online, it sometimes scares me enough to stay offline sometimes but I still continue to use the web but I'm now careful on who I talk too now.​

The thing about online bullying is that you can ignore them and "walk away". They aren't a part of your real life and can easily be rid of. Many sites have a function where you can ignore someone, I've even done that in the online game I play. There were some...@$$holes who were bugging people so I just put them on ignore and left the area. Never saw them again.

Years ago I had an online account somewhere. I used it to access a public game room -- apparently, a bunch of players were using it as their private hangout and started bullying me. I left the game and never went back, but whenever I logged on for other purposes, they'd see I was on and send nasty messages. I never responded to them. Eventually, I had to block them all and forget about it.

I'd done nothing wrong and they were just being hostile because they felt like it. They're cowardly people who get off on hurting others and I'm sure they're desperately unhappy and powerless in their own lives. Don't let their unhappiness bleed into you. You're much stronger than they are and much more giving.*hugs*

Is there any chance you could get into more specifics? For instance, was there just some "random" person saying unpleasant things to you for some unknown reason, or..?

WallflowerGirl83 said:
Does anyone else ever feel like they're being stalked online? Like people who have watched you online, harassed you and sent you creepy messages? Sometimes I can't seem to wrap my head around this but this has happened to me recently and I'm wondering what is their motive behind this? Why would they go through all the trouble of stalking me and trying to make me feel horrible about myself? If this has happened to you, what ended up happening in the long run? There's so much bullying online, it sometimes scares me enough to stay offline sometimes but I still continue to use the web but I'm now careful on who I talk too now.​

there are alot of kooks wherever we go, just have to consider the source.
if you let it bother who will get hurt but you.
just let it roll off your back like water off a ducks back.
louise

WallflowerGirl83 said:

People have tried to bully me online from time to time. I usually just tell them to f off, then I use whatever feature the site has to block or report the person. Recent example, some jerk felt the need to go out of his way on Facebook to call me "retarded" over a post I wrote (on George Takei's Facebook at that...calling ME "retarded" while claiming to be a fan of a man who is against slurs of all kinds), so I gave him a piece of my mind and then reported him. He hasn't troubled me since. On another forum I'm actually a mod, so in that case I ban them myself.

What is their motive? They're just lousy people. Online, they are lousy people with the protection of being miles away from the person they are attacking. They are nothing but cowards. It irks me at times that people can act like such tough customers online, but I'd bet quite a bit that in real life they are chumps. It bothers me a bit that people say things that they say cause they know they're protected, when they know full well their behavior would result in a broken nose at least in real life.

Like others have said, the good thing about the online world is that it's much easier to ignore bad people. Most sites usually have some kind of block feature you can use. Don't let them get you down, remember, they are the one who is a loser. I'm glad you haven't given up on all of us Web-folk just yet :)

Sci-Fi said:
The thing about online bullying is that you can ignore them and "walk away". They aren't a part of your real life and can easily be rid of. Many sites have a function where you can ignore someone, I've even done that in the online game I play. There were some...@$$holes who were bugging people so I just put them on ignore and left the area. Never saw them again.

It's not always that simple. I have been stalked online (more than once) and a few that lived within a few hours of me, found enough information about me to know approximately where I lived and started threatening me.
It was taken care of and none of them are an issue anymore, but online bullies can take it past simply being an online bully.
The only thing you can do is be careful about who you talk to and what you tell people.
Also, it's a smart idea to not tie any accounts together. Such as this forum with your facebook (using the same email, if you have your email visible.) I know a lot of people that use the same avatar (if it's you or a very unique image) for every place they go, also not a smart idea because anyone can find every account you have with that avatar.

There are idiots everywhere. Even in real live (I've been stalked irl too. lol), you can't stop living because of that, you just have to be more careful and don't be afraid to report them or take necessary actions to make it stop.

This may sound naive or stupid, but....
On the other hand, they notice you for a reason. You must be somehow interesting, eye-catching or something. And they cure their own insecurities or problems by being like this to you.
So, in some weird, maybe even twisted way, you may see that as a compliment of sorts? Like, they are the bad ones, and you are the good one that irritates them by being something they are not...
I guess it would be better not to be angry at them, but rather pity them.

WallflowerGirl83 said:

Depends what level of stalking we're talking about. I got like, a couple of creepy emails from what appeared to be some sort of cult detailing some bizarre information, and stuff, which I can't reveal as I'm trying to keep parts here private, about how I was on the front of some sort of surveillance thing.

With those types, there's little you can do. Power and influence in various bodies and organisations can extend for miles. I like to kick them in the gonads by exposing corruption whenever I get the chance.

If you're talking joe public members who don't grasp social norms, then you basically need to close down your online footprint. I don't touch facebook with a barge pole because it's basically an information gathering site, they won't delete your app data even when you delete the app, won't delete your photos even 3 years later, or even data in general, stores up to 800 pages of personal data per account, which becomes a sort of searchable database.

Long story short, social networking sites, like facebook, linkedin, twitter etc etc ad naeseam leave a huge footprint that anyone can access (more so if you're an individual with contacts or works for the NSA/GCHQ etc) and if someone is stalking you, your first port of call would be close down any publicly broadcasting accounts or sites that give away any of your personal information.

Realistically, you want to take whatever information the stalkers have and try to figure out where it came from (you can usually trace information leaks by 'tainting' the statements you leave: for example, say one thing in one place, say another in another place - who says what will tell you where it came from). Once you know where the leak comes from, close it down.

Could be as simple as a forum post with your real name, date of birth and an associatable email account. Of course, once the information is out there in the wild, it may be already too late (as mentioned, facebook et alia keep the details), not to say the stalkers themselves don't keep records either. But you need to close up the gap to make it harder for others to do the same thing.

The reason people bully online is because they don't have a face online. This means that they can say or do anything they feel like, without physical confrontation. A lot of these people have stress/frustration in their life, and take it out on others to make themselves feel better.

Safety online: Don't let them have your information. Many things that ask for my date of birth, have January 1st as my birthday LOL. Also, just as a precaution if you use a tablet or phone with GPS settings... TURN IT OFF if you are taking pictures. The pictures have information you cannot see... But if it is downloaded, it's all there including your location.

As for my personal experience, I have been harassed online. Unfortunately for him I knew him very well, more than he could ever know me. I turned around and became a very cold hearted person towards him, and resorted to threats myself (police don't give two shits around here unless it is in person). I cut him off completely, changed all my emails, changed any online site like Facebook to PRIVATE.

Yes, that has happened to me too. Thankfully it's so easy to block and just ignore it. But it does feel little scary, annoying and sad.

Edit: For example, I have got creepy and very perverted messages from some weird men few times in my past, and it's just plain creepy! *shivers*

I got that with my cellphone o_O Apparently the recycled number exists on a bathroom stall in a place called Cowboys... Creepy. If I don't have to change phone numbers, I don't. Just to avoid that.

I haven't been stalked, but I have been on the receiving end of angry, cliquish behavior on a chat I used to frequent which was part of a larger forum and website. I received rude messages discussing me that were "accidentally" sent to me instead of to their friends. TinyChat (a voice/video service) links were passed around in private when I entered once, after one of the worst offenders publicly demanded that it be so... and the room went quiet as everyone left without me.

Surprisingly, a few of the people who are members there don't understand why I no longer visit and why I no longer consider them (the ones who only stood by while their friends trashed me) my friends. Thick.

Latest posts

Back