Idea for a short story

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

just alex

Reaction score
Hey all. Still pretty new to this forum but I wanted to see what people might think of a short story I wanted to write. (And sorry if I posted this in the wrong section. If it's intrusive please re-direct it or whatever. Still kind of new to the whole forum thing.)

Basically it starts off with a guy whose attending college and he's driving to school on a motorcycle. He crashes on the way there and is flung through the air. He knows it is unlikely he will live but during that brief moment, time slows down and his life flashes in front of his eyes.

He sees his life from the beginning. He was always a loner. Didn't have very many friends. He was always afraid of taking opportunities that could have made him a better person. Most of his life he lived depressed and in fear until he met the woman of his dreams at the college he was attending. He finally worked up the courage to talk to her and eventually he wins her heart.

He finally starts becoming the person he always wanted to be after this. He starts taking charge of his own life. He moves out of his parents house, gets a steady job, and he starts to ride motorcycles (something he always wanted to do but was too afraid to do so.) He finally found true happiness.

Anyways, while he's flying through the air after the accident, he hates his luck. He hates the fact that he's about to die right when he finally turned his life around. But before he hits the ground, he smiles. He took solace in the fact that even though he was about to die, he finally found what he was looking for all his life. Then he smashes into the ground and dies tragically. And though he didn't get the chance to live the rest of his life with this happiness he was happy enough that he found it.

The story is quite tragic but I like to think that it also gives a little bit of hope. Some people, like me, live their entire lives never finding what they are looking for because they are too afraid to really live. Maybe not everyone would agree, but I'd rather die happy like this then live the rest of my life being safe but too afraid to do anything.

Again, this is just an idea for a story I haven't written yet but I'd like to see what everyone thinks. Is it too much like another story that's out there? (I haven't read every book so maybe the themes in this are similar to another story) Is it too depressing? Is it right on the money? Let me know what you think, I'm open to any and all criticism.

Hmmm, I'd be tempted to do something a little different.

I'd have him reliving his life, but as an much older and still lonely guy. He'd flash back to when he got the bike and was waiting to talk to the girl, but rode of as she started getting near. A bit more on how he's always been afraid and not taken the chances that came his way.

As time returns to normal he wishes he'd taken those chances, what could have been worse than what he's seen?

Then comes the impact, bright white light blinds him and everything goes silent... then the light fades away and he finds himself sat on his bike, he looks in the bikes mirror and sees the younger version of himself. He looks around just as the girl comes out of the building as she'd done before in his original past.

This time he smiles, takes a deep breath and the story ends with the girl coming up to compliment his bike, he says something like. "Thanks. Hey... my name's Alex, can I buy you a coffee?"

The End

(Guess I like a happy ending) EDIT - and time travel stories!

If you think your idea is worth writing, then write it regardless of praise and acceptance. Seeking approval before even beginning is like drinking poison first thing in the morning and expecting to go about the day with passion and freedom.

This sounds very depressing and angst ridden.

When it comes to writing, I'd say you only need to answer one question. Why are you writing it? From the answer, you'll know in your own heart whether it's worth writing or not.

just alex said:
Hey all. Still pretty new to this forum but I wanted to see what people might think of a short story I wanted to write. (And sorry if I posted this in the wrong section. If it's intrusive please re-direct it or whatever. Still kind of new to the whole forum thing.)

Basically it starts off with a guy whose attending college and he's driving to school on a motorcycle. He crashes on the way there and is flung through the air. He knows it is unlikely he will live but during that brief moment, time slows down and his life flashes in front of his eyes.

He sees his life from the beginning. He was always a loner. Didn't have very many friends. He was always afraid of taking opportunities that could have made him a better person. Most of his life he lived depressed and in fear until he met the woman of his dreams at the college he was attending. He finally worked up the courage to talk to her and eventually he wins her heart.

He finally starts becoming the person he always wanted to be after this. He starts taking charge of his own life. He moves out of his parents house, gets a steady job, and he starts to ride motorcycles (something he always wanted to do but was too afraid to do so.) He finally found true happiness.

Anyways, while he's flying through the air after the accident, he hates his luck. He hates the fact that he's about to die right when he finally turned his life around. But before he hits the ground, he smiles. He took solace in the fact that even though he was about to die, he finally found what he was looking for all his life. Then he smashes into the ground and dies tragically. And though he didn't get the chance to live the rest of his life with this happiness he was happy enough that he found it.

The story is quite tragic but I like to think that it also gives a little bit of hope. Some people, like me, live their entire lives never finding what they are looking for because they are too afraid to really live. Maybe not everyone would agree, but I'd rather die happy like this then live the rest of my life being safe but too afraid to do anything.

Again, this is just an idea for a story I haven't written yet but I'd like to see what everyone thinks. Is it too much like another story that's out there? (I haven't read every book so maybe the themes in this are similar to another story) Is it too depressing? Is it right on the money? Let me know what you think, I'm open to any and all criticism.

write it and see how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back