Being in love with fiction characters...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoolishSheep

Reaction score
I am infamously in love with two cartoon characters, Mona Parker or "Mona the Vampire" and Lily Duncan or "Princess Giant". These are the cutest girls ever and they're from Mona the Vampire. Why is it that people think that's so weird? Also I have imaginary "parties" with them sometimes when no one is around which seems crazy but im just being honest. But seriously they're so baby cute why am I the only one who loves them?

People don't like me because of that. They don't like people who like kid show characters like that. This girl named Danielle calls me names. She said I was mentally insane and skitsafrenic.But I am not I just want to party with them and hug them and love on them.Is this wrong? I hope not. Please forgive me but does anyone else have crushes on cartoon characters and can anyone make me happier about this here?

You're 12, correct? Seems to me that's it's pretty normal for a 12-year old to be liking 'kid show' characters. And you know what? You just go ahead and like whatever it is you want to like and don't worry about what everyone else thinks...(haha, and I'm 41 and still secretly love watching The Bugs Bunny Show - you probably have no idea what that is, but that was a favorite cartoon from when I was a kid). You're never too old for cartoons! :)

Of course I know what it is. But I never really got into Bugs Bunny. And that's cool. I have loved Mona the Vampire since I was 3 and watched all the episodes several times through. But being in love with them is way to another level and people think that is weird.

^ I think as long as you know they are cartoon characters it's fine.

This is just my opionion, I may be wrong, but it's a form of 'safe love', it's really not so different from young girls having posters of boy bands and loving members of the band. In reality there is little chance they will ever meet so it's a safe form of love as they cannot be directly hurt by them.

So, next time Danielle calls you names maybe ask if she has any poster of anyone up on her walls, and how exactly that is different? Does she normally hangout with international pop-stars?

I doubt it! :p

You do know the difference between fantasy and reality right? I've seen obsessions like this before and there is a fine line where it crosses over into extreme obsessions. And I doubt this other girl who made fun of you doesn't have a crush of her own, it may not be on a fictional character, could be on a singer or movie star. It's more so that she and other people don't understand your fancy over these fictional characters, there is no reality.

Look, I'm gonna be straight with you here. To many people it is weird, it's not something you can be openly public with if it is going to bother you. I am a huge Batman fan, when I was younger and became a teenager I kept that hidden because I got teased about it. Only my friends knew I was a Batman nut, and they didn't care. This is way before superheroes became the in thing like they are now. It wasn't until later in high school when my friends showed that they liked that side of me that I stopped hiding it. Not like I went to school dressed as Batman but I was no longer ashamed to be into superheroes anymore. Even when I went to college, I was wearing my Batman t-shirts and sometimes a ball cap.

As for being in love with a fictional character...well there is this one cartoon character named Jessica Rabbit, va va va voom. LOL I kid, no I never really had a crush on a fictional character. But I get where you are coming from. Your profile says you are twelve, you are getting at that age where you are supposed to leave that all behind. Once you become a teenager and hit puberty people expect you to act more "grown up". You don't have to, you have to be you, but you also have to learn how to function with it in society. If you don't you will have to put up with A LOT of teasing and people can be mean.

Well that's good. I want to be who I am. :D Maybe I should just ignore them and keep have these imaginary parties and stuff. Oh and the two girls I am in love wtih are in my profile picture. They're so cute rightTttttt? :D

When I was really young I had a small crush on Madeline. =P I had tons of the books. Then when I was 10 the movie came out and I was super excited :O I was a weird kid lol.

Sci-Fi said:
You do know the difference between fantasy and reality right? I've seen obsessions like this before and there is a fine line where it crosses over into extreme obsessions. And I doubt this other girl who made fun of you doesn't have a crush of her own, it may not be on a fictional character, could be on a singer or movie star. It's more so that she and other people don't understand your fancy over these fictional characters, there is no reality.

Look, I'm gonna be straight with you here. To many people it is weird, it's not something you can be openly public with if it is going to bother you. I am a huge Batman fan, when I was younger and became a teenager I kept that hidden because I got teased about it. Only my friends knew I was a Batman nut, and they didn't care. This is way before superheroes became the in thing like they are now. It wasn't until later in high school when my friends showed that they liked that side of me that I stopped hiding it. Not like I went to school dressed as Batman but I was no longer ashamed to be into superheroes anymore. Even when I went to college, I was wearing my Batman t-shirts and sometimes a ball cap.

As for being in love with a fictional character...well there is this one cartoon character named Jessica Rabbit, va va va voom. LOL I kid, no I never really had a crush on a fictional character. But I get where you are coming from. Your profile says you are twelve, you are getting at that age where you are supposed to leave that all behind. Once you become a teenager and hit puberty people expect you to act more "grown up". You don't have to, you have to be you, but you also have to learn how to function with it in society. If you don't you will have to put up with A LOT of teasing and people can be mean.

Sci Fi, your Batman story reminds me a lot of me and Star Wars. Growing up I was a Star Wars nut, still am as you can see! But yea. I'd never wear Star Wars shirts to school or talk much about it even though it was the main interest in my life. I remember once, in senior year of hs, I saw a cross-country teammate on the street, and I was carrying my stack of Star Wars roleplaying game books to a friend's house. I waved briefly and quickly turned down a side street, not wanting my interest to be found out as "nerdy". Nowadays, I'd never do that - I wear my Star Wars and other interest shirts with pride and my interests on my sleeve. Got my G1 Autobots shirt on now haha. And my assessment of people is a little better now too - this was a good guy, he wouldn't have made fun of me. Looking back, there were actually very few people who would have gone out of their way to be mean about it.

Anyway, yea. I second the whole motion of being proud of yourself and your interests. Most people won't mind or care. They may even like you more for it because your character now has more depth. There's probably less haters than you think and who cares about them anyway.

Also, while not a cartoon character, I kind of find myself crushing on Annie from Community. I don't think we'd mesh all that well though!

FoolishSheep said:
I am infamously in love with two cartoon characters, Mona Parker or "Mona the Vampire" and Lily Duncan or "Princess Giant". These are the cutest girls ever and they're from Mona the Vampire. Why is it that people think that's so weird? Also I have imaginary "parties" with them sometimes when no one is around which seems crazy but im just being honest. But seriously they're so baby cute why am I the only one who loves them?

I see nothing wrong with this. I know a lot of people your age that do similar.

FoolishSheep said:
People don't like me because of that. They don't like people who like kid show characters like that. This girl named Danielle calls me names. She said I was mentally insane and skitsafrenic.But I am not I just want to party with them and hug them and love on them.Is this wrong? I hope not. Please forgive me but does anyone else have crushes on cartoon characters and can anyone make me happier about this here?

I don't think that's the reason people don't like you. I think it's because they don't understand you. If they can't get to know you better, so that they may understand you a little better, then they really don't deserve to know you.
I think you're probably VERY smart and excel where most of your class does not and this is another reason they may not like you.
You can't do anything about that and you shouldn't try. You will always be different, but so will everyone else. Own your quirks and make the best of them, because they are what makes you who you are and you should value that.
Danielle doesn't sound like a very nice person and anything she says to you doesn't reflect who you are, it reflects who SHE is. You are likely a kind and caring boy, while she is just a bully.

FoolishSheep said:

When I was around that age I was "in love" with Matt on Digimon. And I did that imaginary boyfriend stuff. I wasn't very vocal about my feelings to my friends, so they never knew.

I would say it's not that people don't like you, they just don't understand. You are at an age where everyone is changing mentally and physically and at different rates. Some of your peers have grown out of that stage, some are at the same stage, and some are behind you. Just hang in there.

FoolishSheep,

Unfortunately there will always be people who will make fun of others who have different interests / tastes to their own.

There's nothing wrong with your interest in these characters.

For what it's worth, when I was your age (many,many years ago) I thought that Ariel (The Little Mermaid) was a real cutie. :)

That's not too unusual. I used to have a crush on Encyclopedia Brown when i was a kid. :)

That you want to show affection to those that you care for is a very positive thing, not at all bad.

I'm 36, and I still crush on fictional characters! As previously mentioned, the important thing is that you know the difference between reality and fantasy.

Yeah Nerdy wants to...oh wait never mind, I was going to say something funny then remembered this is a 12 year old's thread. Gonna keep that Batman costume joke to myself now.

One day she will be mine....oh yes....

k4f9.jpg

WildernessWildChild said:
One day she will be mine....oh yes....

k4f9.jpg

She already is yours, you dolt, she is in your RV right now pretending to be a lampshade.........

Sci-Fi said:
Yeah Nerdy wants to...oh wait never mind, I was going to say something funny then remembered this is a 12 year old's thread. Gonna keep that Batman costume joke to myself now.

Still waiting to see pics of you in that costume.

It could be that you're in love more with the ideal which they represent, with their character traits, and what they symbolize.

As long as you know the difference between fantasy and reality.

Grown adults do the same thing by the way, and many of them are quite open about it, even proud. One word comes to mind...Twilight.

I have a massive crush on Cameron Philips from The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Having a terminator girlfriend would be hawt :D

Latest posts

Back