My face

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triple Bogey

Reaction score
I do hate it, caught sight of myself in this train window this morning. My mouth just hangs down into this ******* frown, bloody horrible. God knows what people think when they see me ? Probably think I am a nutcase or something.

People are always having their photo's taken. I couldn't do that. In winter I wear woolly hats and when it's especially cold, I wear a scarf and wrap it over my mouth. I like that, nobody can see what I look like. In summer I don't know ? A cap and shades ? I might do that.

Well unless you save up for plastic surgery you are stuck with what you have. Best to learn to love it, I'm thinking! :)

jaguarundi said:
Well unless you save up for plastic surgery you are stuck with what you have. Best to learn to love it, I'm thinking! :)

yes it's my thinking too. Nothing I can do really. Of course it doesn't give me much confidence when I meet new people.

When you walk down the street with people passing you by, you never think Geez look at their mouth, **** they're ugly. It's mostly a reflection of your confidence about yourself, it's been proven that people have a much lower opinion of themselves so whatever you think you look like, I can assure you it won't be as bad at least.

9006 said:
When you walk down the street with people passing you by, you never think Geez look at their mouth, **** they're ugly. It's mostly a reflection of your confidence about yourself, it's been proven that people have a much lower opinion of themselves so whatever you think you look like, I can assure you it won't be as bad at least.

Maybe but I think I look like a miserable git. People like happy people, I do, when you see a happy, smiling person, you like them. If you see somebody with a frown on their face then you stay clear.

I have to look in the mirror when I shave etc. I look okay close up because I have nice eyes. (A few women have mentioned my eyes over the years) - but when I see a reflection of myself in a window, it makes me feel sick. I turn away and try not to look. I am getting less and less social. I couldn't imagine going in a crowded place such as a pub for example. I have to work and people look at me all the time. I like the peace and quiet more and more. I want to be away from people because I don't want them to look at me. It is getting like that.

Triple Bogey said:
Maybe but I think I look like a miserable git. People like happy people, I do, when you see a happy, smiling person, you like them. If you see somebody with a frown on their face then you stay clear.

I have to look in the mirror when I shave etc. I look okay close up because I have nice eyes. (A few women have mentioned my eyes over the years) - but when I see a reflection of myself in a window, it makes me feel sick. I turn away and try not to look. I am getting less and less social. I couldn't imagine going in a crowded place such as a pub for example. I have to work and people look at me all the time. I like the peace and quiet more and more. I want to be away from people because I don't want them to look at me. It is getting like that.

This will depend on the person viewing, I've actually been guilty of this but experience has taught me that these are just looks.

I can actually relate about looking in the mirror while shaving, it's actually an automated process now and I don't tend to notice much but when I do I don't like what I see, I don't think that many people do. People tend to see potential improvements or faults by comparing themselves to others, I don't dismiss my looks as ugly or anything - I don't think I look too bad from a distance but I don't like to see myself getting older.

My mouth parts down as well and my eyes are a bit uneven. I used to be made fun of, sometimes I still am when I go places, but I try not to be bothered by it. Don't isolate yourself for that. I avoided people for 4 years, it wasn't fun.

But like 9906 said, when I go out and look at people, I don't think ... "Wow he looks miserable". or "Aw, they're so happy." I don't believe anyone really thinks about what other people look like. But if you feel like you look miserable, have you ever tried smiling?

I smile a lot when I talk to people. But when I'm not talking, my face looks depressed.
When I'm not smiling everyone always asks me "Why are you sad?" I say nothing, because it is my face.

Eh... if it bothers you that much, train yourself to wear at least a half smile. It's not easy, but it's possible. However, I have to say that I agree that most people are somewhat oblivious to these things.

You can't change your bone structure, but you can avoid making it worse by keeping your head up and trying not to look miserable or angry.

Or maybe your face isn't that bad and you have distorted thoughts about your appearance? Do people look at you with revulsion? Do you scare small children? Do people say "gawd, look at that ugly man"? Do they stare at you as you walk by? I doubt it. I've seen your picture and perhaps this is more about your own self-judgement than objective appearances.

-Teresa

I haven't met too many people who like their reflection, and we always notice the "imperfections".

Triple Bogey said:
I do hate it, caught sight of myself in this train window this morning. My mouth just hangs down into this ******* frown, bloody horrible. God knows what people think when they see me ? Probably think I am a nutcase or something.

People are always having their photo's taken. I couldn't do that. In winter I wear woolly hats and when it's especially cold, I wear a scarf and wrap it over my mouth. I like that, nobody can see what I look like. In summer I don't know ? A cap and shades ? I might do that.

Summer always bothers me the most that way: I cannot hide like I can winter. Summer is coming soon and the terror is upon me. The only effective ways to hide in summer leave me sweltering.

I wonder if I could pull off a burqa? Yargh, I want to live in Tundriana, Canada.

Triple Bogey said:
9006 said:

You might benefit from therapy. If its just the frown that can be eliminated the first moments you speak to someone, when they see that you're not really frowning. Dunno, sounds like it to me. :)

Truthfully said:
My mouth parts down as well and my eyes are a bit uneven. I used to be made fun of, sometimes I still am when I go places, but I try not to be bothered by it. Don't isolate yourself for that. I avoided people for 4 years, it wasn't fun.

But like 9906 said, when I go out and look at people, I don't think ... "Wow he looks miserable". or "Aw, they're so happy." I don't believe anyone really thinks about what other people look like. But if you feel like you look miserable, have you ever tried smiling?

I smile a lot when I talk to people. But when I'm not talking, my face looks depressed.
When I'm not smiling everyone always asks me "Why are you sad?" I say nothing, because it is my face.

I always smile at work and laugh and crack jokes.

I used to get lots of comments 'cheer up' etc, not so many now. Maybe because I avoid people.

SofiasMami said:
Or maybe your face isn't that bad and you have distorted thoughts about your appearance? Do people look at you with revulsion? Do you scare small children? Do people say "gawd, look at that ugly man"? Do they stare at you as you walk by? I doubt it. I've seen your picture and perhaps this is more about your own self-judgement than objective appearances.

-Teresa

No, people don't stare or do double takes or anything.

Maybe it's because when I was in my early 20's I had all my hair and was very good looking. And looking at myself now (not much hair), I look awful. But I guess I look like any normal 45 year old man.

Triple Bogey said:

Maybe it's because when I was in my early 20's I had all my hair and was very good looking. And looking at myself now (not much hair), I look awful. But I guess I look like any normal 45 year old man.

I've been wondering why I don't get the same degree of negative reaction I was used to when I was younger.

I think it's because people notice you when you're young, particularly if you're ugly and stick out among your peers. Once you get older though people tend not to see you at all. I used to hear women calling me "gross" quite a lot, old men would shake their heads when they saw me, but now this kind of thing is only occasional.

ardour said:
Triple Bogey said:

I've been wondering why I don't get the same degree of negative reaction I was used to when I was younger.

I think it's because people notice you when you're young, particularly if you're ugly and stick out among your peers. Once you get older though people tend not to see you at all. I used to hear women calling me "gross" quite a lot, old men would shake their heads when they saw me, but now this kind of thing is only occasional.

I tend to pull some really stupid faces as well. No idea I am doing it. Doesn't help much. Probably nervous ticks.

I can relate. In my 20's I was no George Clooney, but I did have a full head of dirty-blonde hair, nice tight buns & decent abs. These days? Meh...Gotta shave my head or else I look like Friar Tuck. My face ain't great, either.

"The years pass, & they grind away on all of us."

MTrip said:
I can relate. In my 20's I was no George Clooney, but I did have a full head of dirty-blonde hair, nice tight buns & decent abs. These days? Meh...Gotta shave my head or else I look like Friar Tuck. My face ain't great, either.

"The years pass, & they grind away on all of us."
16 to 22 was my best years. I was 3 stone lighter, full head of hair. No moles or marks on my face. I think I still had the 'frown' on my face though.

Latest posts

Back