My voice

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triple Bogey

Reaction score
To my ears it is normal but when I hear a recording of it (like I did today), I am amazed how dreadful it sounds. The way I speak, how I pronounce some words, so strange and odd. I work in customer service and I know some people can't understand a word I say. I think the voice is important, it can attract people. Who likes anybody with a miserable sounding voice ? Not many people. A manager told me 20 years ago when I started in retail that my voice is 'very deadpan' - I sound cheesed off, fed up, miserable.

Bugger all I can do about it !

I don't think anybody like the sound of their voice. I think I sound lazy, stoned and depressing all at once, but people don't cringe or jump in front of moving traffic when I speak so I assume it's not as bad as I think...

It's a known fact that you sound different to others than you do to yourself.

It probably has some kind of scientific explanation, like the close proximity of the larynx to the ear.

9006 said:
I don't think anybody like the sound of their voice. I think I sound lazy, stoned and depressing all at once, but people don't cringe or jump in front of moving traffic when I speak so I assume it's not as bad as I think...

some people do a double take when I speak.

Midnight Sky said:
It's a known fact that you sound different to others than you do to yourself.

It probably has some kind of scientific explanation, like the close proximity of the larynx to the ear.

I seem to split words into 2 and there is a gap between them. When I say 90p at work - it's Nine ....ty and customers think I say nine. Happens all the time.

I get comments from time to time. 'Do you really talk like that ?' - I have learned to ignore them.

This is a video of my dad playing a golf shot. The person talking half way thru off camera is me.

Honest opinions would be nice !

Oh come on! That's not fair, haha! That's just a little tease of your voice, you said a total of 5 words!!! 5 words! How can we possibly judge your voice by that? Speaking for myself, it sounds dead sexy (which is no doubt why I'm a little peeved there isn't more!) but I adore english accents. :)

Triple Bogey said:

As another poster said, 5 words isn't sufficient.

But I must admit the initial accent does sound strange. Sounds like a cross between a Northern and a German accent. But I can't really comment on just 5 words.

My accent is unusual. Link and Rhett on youtube cover why people don't like their own voices:

[video=youtube]

How funny - I HATE the sound of my voice. I looked into taking lessons from a vocal coach once. I have to make group presentations often at work. But I decided I'd rather learn violin than train my voice.
When I lived in London, I met a few fellows from Manchester. Couldn't understand a word they said, although we were all speaking English!
I didn't catch enough on the video to really give an opinion but it's definitely possible to alter one's voice with practice and training.

-Teresa

ringwood said:
Oh come on! That's not fair, haha! That's just a little tease of your voice, you said a total of 5 words!!! 5 words! How can we possibly judge your voice by that? Speaking for myself, it sounds dead sexy (which is no doubt why I'm a little peeved there isn't more!) but I adore english accents. :)

I didn't have chance to do anything else. I did that yesterday morning and I don't usually speak over the filming.

Dead sexy ! lol ! Thanks ! :)

Groucho said:
Triple Bogey said:

As another poster said, 5 words isn't sufficient.

But I must admit the initial accent does sound strange. Sounds like a cross between a Northern and a German accent. But I can't really comment on just 5 words.

My accent is unusual. Link and Rhett on youtube cover why people don't like their own voices:

[video=youtube]

thanks for some honesty. German ?
I have taken the video off because it wasn't far on my Dad. I just had it handy so I decided to put it on here since I wrote that thread. I haven't got anything else with my voice on. Maybe we should all do it ? Would be interesting.

I hear you. Mine isn't pretty either. Usually I don't think about it, but when I do, it bugs the heck out of me.

Triple Bogey said:
I have taken the video off because it wasn't far on my Dad. I just had it handy so I decided to put it on here since I wrote that thread. I haven't got anything else with my voice on. Maybe we should all do it ? Would be interesting.

Just first impressions. Nothing negative. I find unusual accents fascinating. So long as I can understand you, it's fine.

We should all do a recording of our voices? I think that would be cool. And weird. But definitely cool! I'd love to see the reactions to my accent, which is a bit... unusual itself.

Groucho said:
Triple Bogey said:

Just first impressions. Nothing negative. I find unusual accents fascinating. So long as I can understand you, it's fine.

We should all do a recording of our voices? I think that would be cool. And weird. But definitely cool! I'd love to see the reactions to my accent, which is a bit... unusual itself.

I think doing a recording of our voices is a grand idea! :p
Lots of fun, and I think accents are fascinating too. I will try and do one a little later today.

ringwood said:
Groucho said:

Lots of fun, and I think accents are fascinating too. I will try and do one a little later today.

Instead, someone should create a random 5-10 minute phone talk match-up thread.

ringwood said:
Groucho said:
Triple Bogey said:

where I am from Hull. The people never sound that good anyway. It's such a flat sounding accent.

I know my voice doesn't sound good. Years of allergies & allergic rhinitis will drop your voice half an octave & make it slightly froggy. Take my word for it.

A phone convo thread would be interesting, but you wouldn't want me on it. I'd be too tempted to start doing impressions. I do a pretty good one of Peter Lorre!

daughter of the moon said:
ringwood said:
Groucho said:

Or use skype. Or some means of audio recording and uploading.

We could even read excerpts of over hammed dialogue from shakespeare or some such! Non-serious of course!

Groucho said:
ringwood said:
Groucho said:

We could even read excerpts of over hammed dialogue from shakespeare or some such! Non-serious of course!

All the world's a stage, & a rose by any other name stinks just as nice!...

MTrip said:
Groucho said:
ringwood said:
Groucho said:

All the world's a stage, & a rose by any other name stinks just as nice!...

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind, to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune!

Thank you, thank you! *bows*

I dislike my voice. And I avoid as many phone calls as possible because of it. To myself, I always sound like I am stumbling while trying to say certain words, but no one else seems to notice.

Latest posts

Back