Who likes to read?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nightwing said:
I found similar with the Frost series by R.D. Wingfield. It was exceptional stuff, absolutely loved the character. Unfortunately, after Wingfield passed away, the series has been taken up by someone called James Harvey (I think?) and it's just terrible. His writing style is a shadow of Wingfield's and worst of all, he's got the main character wrong. Basically bastardising my favourite character. One of the worst things you can experience if you ask me. *sigh*

Yeah, it's really unfortunate when that happens.

Generally speaking, I'm of the opinion that if an author dies mid-series, his/her work should remain unfinished.

Yes I enjoy reading: anything I can get my hands on. If it seems interesting to me I'll give it a chance. Ever since I was younger I loved reading: Goosebumps R.L. Stine is what did it for me. Anytime there was a book fair, I'd buy so many books and get excited over it, haha! Still to this day I enjoy reading and I read right before I go to bed or as I'm waking up. Through out the day if I'm not doing anything else I'll pick up one of my many books and read.

I enjoy horror, manga, comic books, biographies, true crime, non-fiction, fantasy/sci-fi novels, classic novels.

Another thing I love to read about is: New Age, Self Help Books, Books about Hauntings & Ghost's and I own a few books on Crystals & Fairies.

Badjedidude said:
Yeah, it's really unfortunate when that happens.

Generally speaking, I'm of the opinion that if an author dies mid-series, his/her work should remain unfinished.

Agreed!

WallflowerGirl83 said:
Yes I enjoy reading: anything I can get my hands on. If it seems interesting to me I'll give it a chance. Ever since I was younger I loved reading: Goosebumps R.L. Stine is what did it for me. Anytime there was a book fair, I'd buy so many books and get excited over it, haha! Still to this day I enjoy reading and I read right before I go to bed or as I'm waking up. Through out the day if I'm not doing anything else I'll pick up one of my many books and read.

I enjoy horror, manga, comic books, biographies, true crime, non-fiction, fantasy/sci-fi novels, classic novels.

Another thing I love to read about is: New Age, Self Help Books, Books about Hauntings & Ghost's and I own a few books on Crystals & Fairies.

Wow! That's a pretty wide selection. What's your favourite classic?

StormChild said:
I love to read, pretty much anything that's well written.

Crime wise I really like Karin Slaughter, and for historical crime C.S. Harris. If the story feels plausible and I haven't figured out whodunnit by page 30 then I'm in for the long haul.

I've been a Game of Thrones fan since the beginning, though I'm starting to lose patience with the throwaway characters tossed in just to be killed hopelessly. Favourite fantasy series is Lois McMaster Bujold's Chalion trilogy. Waiting impatiently for Scott Lynch's third Gentleman ******* book.

I read everything of Stephen King's up to The Tommyknockers (so bad it stunk up the house) and bits and pieces after that -- Cell, Under The Dome, Black House. I second the Long Walk recommendation.

I read non-fiction too. Popular science mostly, especially biology, astronomy and psychology.

I enjoyed The Tommyknockers. I know it was all over the place, I think he wrote it high on drugs or drunk but the idea was great !

Triple Bogey said:
I enjoyed The Tommyknockers. I know it was all over the place, I think he wrote it high on drugs or drunk but the idea was great !

Maybe my standards were too high based on his earlier work, but it was the first one where I couldn't connect with the characters at all. I agree that the idea was great, though.

I absolutely loved his On Writing book, but although the ideas are still good in the later ones that I read (Black House, Cell, Under the Dome) his characters don't ring true for me the way they did in Firestarter or The Stand. They feel more cookie-cutter, and that sets me at a distance from the story.

I love reading, I haven't done as much in the last 5 years as my life has been chaos. I am just picking up again, I have a stack full of let's say girlie books waiting to be read. But also I downloaded a list a while ago of what is meant to be the greatest books. So hopefully going to work my way through that.

GraceBlossom said:
But also I downloaded a list a while ago of what is meant to be the greatest books. So hopefully going to work my way through that.

You are now required by law of this thread... to share said list :)

WallflowerGirl83 said:
Ever since I was younger I loved reading: Goosebumps R.L. Stine is what did it for me.

Haha me too! I was reading before Goosebumps, my parents or grandma would read Little Golden books and stuff like that to me nightly. Then, I'd read some nonfiction stuff about things like castles and airplanes. But my first series that I started reading on my own was Goosebumps. I remember scouring the shelves of the kids' world section of my library, hoping to find a copy of the newest one before anyone else. And I loved the cover art, it was always so vibrant.

Nowadays I read all kinds of things. I'm reading some books to motivate me to be successful and creative, and I also read less serious stuff like comics. Currently reading the original Bionicle series. I also plan on tackling the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings trilogy this year, as well as the complete Sherlock Holmes. Nothing like a cup of tea and a good book and time to dive into it!

Nightwing said:
GraceBlossom said:
But also I downloaded a list a while ago of what is meant to be the greatest books. So hopefully going to work my way through that.

You are now required by law of this thread... to share said list :)

I will when I can figure it out :)

I like to read everything from books on robotics, nanotechnology, neuroscience, biotechnology, Japanese language, science fiction books (my favorite authors being Greg Egan and Phillip K. Dick so far) and I've really been getting into the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' books by George. R.R Martin.

I remembered watching The Road a few years ago, so I picked up a copy of the book recently for something to relax with. I'm pretty stunned by McCarthy's elegant visuals.

Latest posts

Back