Deal Breakers

• Thread starter AmytheTemperamental
  • Start date
Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

AmytheTemperamental

What are your deal breakers when it comes to relationships? What won't you tolerate? What have you tolerated, and regretted? Or perhaps what have you not tolerated, and regretted leaving?

I have tolerated a lot of stuff that I used to say I wouldn't. I used to say I wouldn't tolerate physical abuse..Went through a whirlwind period with an ex. Used to say I wouldn't tolerate cheating. But let that one slide, too. They are definite deal breakers now.

jaguarundi said:
That's an interesting question😸 I couldn't stand racism or homophobia.

Those are something I can't deal with also.

TheSkaFish said:
Mediocrity is my dealbreaker. I don't want to be around someone who basically encourages me to give up on getting more than "just okay" out of life.

Oh yes. I believe relationships should help encourage growth.

-vegetarian
-honeysuckle taste in music
-easily offended
-"I indentify as a polyamorous gaylesbian transmogrifcating pansexual feminist" types, as opposed to "human"

Things like racism, homophobia, abusive, cheating etc... well they're the standard for every relatively sane person, aren't they? Although yes, many of us put up with them sometimes, but usually when we're in too deep...

painter said:
Things like racism, homophobia, abusive, cheating etc... well they're the standard for every relatively sane person, aren't they? Although yes, many of us put up with them sometimes, but usually when we're in too deep...

Good point.

painter said:
-vegetarian

Why is being a vegetarian a dealbreaker?
smiley_thinking.gif

TheRealCallie said:
painter said:
-vegetarian

smiley_thinking.gif

Vegetarian alert!!!

Well it's not reeeeeally a dealbreaker I am just very silly, but it does make me die a little inside when I'm getting to know a girl and find out she's a vegetarian, and on the flipside makes me want to jump up and high-5 her when I find out she's not.

I would like to add...
People who use fear to their advantage. And people who feel the need to be the center of every drama.

painter said:
JustSomeGal said:
And people who feel the need to be the center of every drama.

omg this was totally aimed at me wasn't it :club:

haha no. This holds direct relation to my post about trading my older sister for a brother.

painter said:
TheRealCallie said:
painter said:
-vegetarian

smiley_thinking.gif

Vegetarian alert!!!

Well it's not reeeeeally a dealbreaker I am just very silly, but it does make me die a little inside when I'm getting to know a girl and find out she's a vegetarian, and on the flipside makes me want to jump up and high-5 her when I find out she's not.

LOL, I am a vegetarian, BUT, I know how to cook meat and do so for my kids. I don't like to, but I will for them (and I did for my ex too).

TheRealCallie said:
painter said:
-vegetarian

smiley_thinking.gif

Same. I love meat too much, I just can't see a relationship working with a veggie. There's one of two outcomes, they'll nag me to become a vegetarian too with the moral arguments. (That won't work out.) Or they won't try anything and I'll probably come to the conclusion that they're not really committed enough to their beliefs and I won't be able to respect them as much. And respect for my SO is very important to me. Try not to take this personally, as this is obviously a personal area and is down to emotionally charged subjective views.

Other dealbreakers:
- poor personal hygiene
- poor health
- low intelligence (previously I didn't care about this... but since experiencing it in a relationship... It just can't work in a relationship for me.)
- lack of morals/moral code
- selfish personality

I second that. Cheating and lying, being flaky, stuff like that is no good. Someone with a condition that puts my physical life in danger would also be a dealbreaker. Also, someone who is very into politics or the news is probably not who I'm looking for, unless I can convince them to stop doing that. I'm trying to avoid it as much as possible since it demotivates me. Also, while I value intelligence, I also value playfulness. I don't want someone who is too serious. I want someone I can laugh and smile and have good times with, someone who keeps their inner child alive.

By the way JustSomeGal, that .gif of a hippo (or is it a piglet?) is really cute! :)

Nightwing said:
TheRealCallie said:
painter said:
-vegetarian

smiley_thinking.gif

Same. I love meat too much, I just can't see a relationship working with a veggie. There's one of two outcomes, they'll nag me to become a vegetarian too with the moral arguments. (That won't work out.) Or they won't try anything and I'll probably come to the conclusion that they're not really committed enough to their beliefs and I won't be able to respect them as much. And respect for my SO is very important to me. Try not to take this personally, as this is obviously a personal area and is down to emotionally charged subjective views.

Wait wait wait...

Before I start, I want to add a disclaimer. I am not in any way trying to say that you aren't entitled to your opinion or trying to change your mind. It's your life and you have every right to say who you will and will not date. I am also not saying I'm offended in any way. I'm simply trying to understand this. I would likely be asking this even if I wasn't a vegetarian.

So, what you're saying is that a vegetarian might nag you to stop eating meat. Okay, if this were to happen, I would completely understand your take on this. However, it's the second part that I have issues with.
If a vegetarian did NOT nag you to stop eating me, she's not faithful in her beliefs? How do you come to this conclusion? I'm not saying every vegetarian/vegan is like me, but I don't care what other people do. You have the right to eat meat, just the same as I have the right to NOT eat meat. Now, I would likely have issues if you wanted to kill an animal in front of me and then expect me to cook it, but other than situations like that, I have no problems with other people eating meat. That doesn't mean I'm not committed to being a vegetarian. I haven't had meat or any type of meat products in almost 13 years and I have never once reconsidered my beliefs in the matter.
Yes, I cook meat, but in my opinion, the choice of not eating meat should be made by the individual, not made FOR them by someone else. As I have kids and I don't feel they are old enough to fully weigh the pros and cons of the matter, they continue to eat meat for the nutrients it provides them and because they like it.

I guess what I'm getting out is how does a person respecting YOUR decision about what you eat boil down to you not respecting them for not getting on your ass about what THEY believe?

TheSkaFish said:
I second that. Cheating and lying, being flaky, stuff like that is no good. Someone with a condition that puts my physical life in danger would also be a dealbreaker. Also, someone who is very into politics or the news is probably not who I'm looking for, unless I can convince them to stop doing that. I'm trying to avoid it as much as possible since it demotivates me. Also, while I value intelligence, I also value playfulness. I don't want someone who is too serious. I want someone I can laugh and smile and have good times with, someone who keeps their inner child alive.

By the way JustSomeGal, that .gif of a hippo (or is it a piglet?) is really cute! :)

hmm...what about political comedy?

I should be a vegetarian really I love animals and hate the way they are treated for us to eat them but I'm lazy and depressed and find it hard enough to vary my diet as it is, without restricting myself further. It's quite terrible really, maybe one day when I grow up I will convert, or at least avoid it if possible. As great as food is, eating really is a metaphorical pain in the ass sometimes.

Latest posts

Back