Facebook group

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sk66rc

Reaction score
I was reading through some of the threads & just had a thought... Has anybody created a group in Facebook for this forum? I thought about it & typed in "lonely life" in search section of Facebook & few came up though none of it seemed to be linked to this forum... I did only looked at first few so I could be wrong... If there is such a group in Facebook, could somebody point it out? Or let me know if someone knows for a fact that if it does or doesn't exist? And if it doesn't exist & if I or someone was to create one, would you join? I'm asking only because I looked at a thread about how technology makes us more lonely & another one talking about if we are more lonely on Facebook... And if that's the case, why don't (or didn't) someone just make. Facebook group or page for it so people from here can join & have more intimate connections on a personal level... Just a passing thought...

Facebook probably isn't the greatest idea for ALonelyLife, and here's why:

Anonymity. Many of the members here might not want to be a part of a social media site, particularly as part of a group that deals with loneliness. Some people don't want others to know that they're on this forum. As a basic measure of privacy protection, a facebook group for ALL probably isn't the best idea. We have the forum, we have a chat room... there's no real need for a facebook group that might accidentally "out" someone or cause more problems that it solves.

With that said...

...some of us do have each other as friends on facebook. We don't have a singular facebook "group" that includes everyone (for the reason(s) stated above), but if you meet people on here and you want to add them as friends, go ahead!

Badjedidude said:
Facebook probably isn't the greatest idea for ALonelyLife, and here's why:

Anonymity. Many of the members here might not want to be a part of a social media site, particularly as part of a group that deals with loneliness. Some people don't want others to know that they're on this forum. As a basic measure of privacy protection, a facebook group for ALL probably isn't the best idea. We have the forum, we have a chat room... there's no real need for a facebook group that might accidentally "out" someone or cause more problems that it solves.

With that said...

...some of us do have each other as friends on facebook. We don't have a singular facebook "group" that includes everyone (for the reason(s) stated above), but if you meet people on here and you want to add them as friends, go ahead!

Point well taken... Again, just voicing a passing thought... I have thought of the reasons you've mentioned & as with anything else, it would've been up to individual choices... I wouldn't expect every single person I works with to be on my list or belong to a same group at work, nor do I even want to... But my thought was may be it could've given few of the members here a means to connecting with others, using it as some sort of common interest for example... May be I didn't really think things through before posting this idea...

^^^No, it's fine. The problem is that we've tried having facebook groups (or similar social media meetups, etc) before, and it just... doesn't seem to work out.

If you're really interested in the idea, I would suggest PMing a mod on the forum to ask what they think.

Actually there was a facebook group for forum members that I remember being a part of. I'm not sure if the members are still around in there. I ended up leaving it because of personal reasons but it should still be there.

kamya said:
Actually there was a facebook group for forum members that I remember being a part of. I'm not sure if the members are still around in there.

Yeah, I think it kind of fizzled out.

That's what I'm talking about. We've tried this sort of thing before, but it tends to just fall apart as people lose interest or squabble or... for whatever reasons. It just doesn't work out.

Well it can be made a Closed group, where none of your friends can see that you've joined and the posts are only visible by group members.

I still wouldn't join out of anonymity, like what BJD said. I am fine adding people I have known for sometime from this forum as friends on my Facebook account - but to join a group and have random new members come in and "see" me.. I don't know. It could be people from my past I don't want to have anything to do with or I don't know, don't really feel comfortable.

It is a nice idea though, sk66rc. Thanks for sharing it. :)

Triple Bogey said:
start one up and see if it takes off !
I would join definitely !

LOL... Ok, thanks... I think I'll wait to see if more people seem to be interested... I think if I start one up, there'll be only 2 of us, so far anyway...

Oh, I meant to convey in my previous comment that if you take my suggestion and make it closed, I'm in too. :)

I am friends with a few members on Facebook, but I talk to them a lot on chat and skype though. I wouldn't want my family to know I was in a group like this on Facebook. They stalk my page and would judge and be worried. Even though this forum has been an extremely positive thing for me. Closed group would be fine.

Badjedidude said:
but if you meet people on here and you want to add them as friends, go ahead!

Oh wow, some random weirdo gave you permission to add friends on Facebook! Yay! That must mean so much to you, TC!

There was no need for that. Knock of the insults and try to act civil.

Locke said:
Badjedidude said:
but if you meet people on here and you want to add them as friends, go ahead!

Oh wow, some random weirdo gave you permission to add friends on Facebook! Yay! That must mean so much to you, TC!

Oh, wow... I didn't even read that part till you pointed out... How about that...

Minus said:
There was no need for that. Knock of the insults and try to act civil.

I don't think he was all that insulting, may be a bit sarcastic but...

In my book referring to a member as a "some random weirdo" is an insult and we don't need that conflict drug into various threads that have nothing to do with it.

Locke said:

I wasn't "giving permission," I was offering encouragement and support.

I guess you wouldn't recognize the difference.

sk66rc said:
Oh, wow... I didn't even read that part till you pointed out... How about that...

I sincerely hope you recognize the message I was actually conveying when I responded to this thread.

It's not that a facebook group is an inherently bad idea. I was simply saying that this forum has tried that sort of thing before, and so far it just hasn't worked out as an "official" group thing...

...but that it has worked for forum members to friend each other privately. As I said, I have some facebook friends that I met here on the forum also. So when I said "go ahead" to friending, I wasn't "giving you permission."

I was offering encouragement for the idea of meeting and friending others from the forum, even though I still think an "official" facebook group may not work out.

I don't really understand why a forum would need a facebook group.... If you want to talk, why not just talk here or the chat room? I wanted nothing to do with the last fb group, because I prefer to choose who I let know who I really am. I've had issues before with people from here knowing who I really was. So, I would advise everyone to think about it before deciding to go ahead with the idea and/or joining such a group.

TheRealCallie said:
I don't really understand why a forum would need a facebook group.... If you want to talk, why not just talk here or the chat room? I wanted nothing to do with the last fb group, because I prefer to choose who I let know who I really am. I've had issues before with people from here knowing who I really was. So, I would advise everyone to think about it before deciding to go ahead with the idea and/or joining such a group.

It's not that I think the forum needs a Facebook group... Here's how I came to this idea... As I read through some of the topics & discussions, time to time, I see few members that aren't really active but few posts & responses they've made, it seemed to me that they expressed feelings of wanting more of an intimate interactions as opposed to an broad open forum like this... Some of those posts gave me an impression that their online personalities aren't all that different from their "off line" personalities, bit drawn but still looking for that "few" or "handful" of connections... Then I came across few other threads about Facebook discussions & I just sorta merged those thoughts in my head real quick... Like I said, may be it wasn't all that thought out plan but I figured I'd throw the idea out there & may be some would like an opportunity to make a bit personalized connection & perhaps find out other members with similar interests without having to start a new thread or having to search through so many different topics or even responding to an old thread hoping somebody would notice it... There's few discussions about how technologies, including Facebook & other social sites, might make us more isolated... I thought may be we can use the samething to may be being people little closer aside from having to start a thread that might bring unwanted attention to those who really feel uncomfortable with such attentions... I don't know... May be this wasn't such a good idea to even bring it up...

Latest posts

Back